We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea temperature end of May, can we swimm?

Budapest
Level Contributor
28 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Sea temperature end of May, can we swimm?

Hi, we are going to spend one week in Sliema from the 25th May. I am wondering if the sea is warm enough to swimm. Could somebody tell me if people swimm right now? Is the nearest bay St Julians's Bay a convenient place to swimm, or shall we go somwhere else?

Sure we are going to visit the most possible sights, but I really whish to relax after that .. and swimming. Thanks for your response:)

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,421 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea temperature end of May, can we swimm?

If you go onto Skyline webcams Malta you will connect to live webcams around Malta look at the Georges Beach one at 10am tomorrow morning and you will see lots of people swimming in the sea. I was in Malta in Jan and had a swim there so no hassle in mAY.

Derby
Level Contributor
40 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea temperature end of May, can we swimm?

I have just returned from Malta - staying in Mellieha Bay. The sea was freezing but if you are used to that then no problem. By the end of this month the sea should have warmed up a little.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea temperature end of May, can we swimm?

I swam on Christmas day ! However today the sea temperature is 18 C and many people are sunbathing and swimming . It is a biyt of a breeze and may feel cool when you get out of the water as the day is not very hot and only 19 C in the shade .

Depends a lot on your understanding of HOT ?

http://www.maltaweather.com/

Welcome to Sunny Malta , and I will give you a live webcam link to see the weather and sunset !

This is St Georges Bay in St julians Sliema LIVE WEBCAM skylinewebcams.com/en/…st-george-beach.html

Edited: 17 May 2014, 13:57
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea temperature end of May, can we swimm?

Predicted daytime temperature for next week is 28 C . Bring some sumprotection cream as the UV index is 9 for a good healthy suntan !

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea temperature end of May, can we swimm?

www.skylinewebcams.com/skyline/lapse.php…

You can see a TIMELAPSE Day by clicking on the link at the upper right hand corner

Edited: 17 May 2014, 14:16
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea temperature end of May, can we swimm?

You can swim in St Georges Bay , but I would suggest you take a day trip to Comino and swim in the Blue Lagoon .... a memory of a lifetime !

Bus to Cirkewwa on your weekly ticket or Taxi at approximately 25 Euro and boat trip every hour to Comino from quayside .

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
4,860 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sea temperature end of May, can we swimm?

In all honesty it's a bit early to be sea swimming and very few do. Day time temps are increasing from here on so you should get some lovely warm days with cool evenings.

Budapest
Level Contributor
28 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sea temperature end of May, can we swimm?

Thank you for the idea, I saw pictures about the Blue Lagoon and it would be great to spend the whole day there - not only a rushing around by ship excursion. By the way, is the water of the Blue Lagoon warmer than the normal sea temperature? Is it nice for snorkeling/diving? Thanks for your reply, Beryl

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sea temperature end of May, can we swimm?

The Blue Lagoon is quite shallow so it will be less chilly than some waters. I was swimming there last month. It was bracing but very enjoyable...

Budapest
Level Contributor
28 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sea temperature end of May, can we swimm?

I thank for all of you for your kind reply.. it is really usful for me.

We will fly on Sunday and I can hardly wait:) And sure we will spend a day at the famous Blue Lagoon:)

Kind regards to all of you! Beryl, Budapest