We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers...where to stay?

england
Level Contributor
898 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
First timers...where to stay?

hi we are looking at various places to go beginning of September for 2 weeks and looked at Cyprus/Rhodes etc but a man at work suggested Malta so here I am asking the age old questions lol

1 Where to stay?

we like the following

Sandy Beach

Hotel with Pool and entertainment

days out

boat trips

walking distance of towns/amenities

AI/HB/SC ???

sea view from hotel room would be fab as would a hotel on the beach :-)

It will be myself and my daughter who will turn 22 when we are there she is not a massive party so don't thankfully need to be near mad nightlife so to speak!!

We are hoping to just chill out and take things easy but still have the option to go and about

She would prefer AI I don't really mind but will look at all options

thanks in advance x

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers...where to stay?

I truly suggest you research thoroughly whether you will pursue a package holiday or make your own arrangements. Malta is easy to do under your own steam and you may secure really good value flights if you book soon. The Seabank at Mellieha may suit you as a AI, opposite the best beach, on a good bus route and having a huge pool. It isn't the cheapest by any means but gets very good reviews.

If you opt for Bugibba or Qawra, Sliema or St. Julians there are more limited beach opportunities but many options for reasonable hotels. Bugibba & Qawra are basically a large tourist focused resort. Sliema & St. Julians are cosmopolitan seaside towns with a lovely promenade and a very buzzy atmosphere. Trips to the beaches are possible on the very cheap buses.

Booking & sourcing hotels is easy through Trivago or Alpharooms.

Feel free to ask several questions on here as there is a good pool of knowledge & experience from many of the regular posters.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,297 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers...where to stay?

Have a look at the Top Questions on the right to get an idea of the various places to stay. Since you specify a sandy beach, the best place is Mellieha. If you prefer a more central place, Bugibba has a man made sandy beach with more bars, restaurants etc. Adjoining St. Julian's is the pretty , small sandy beach of St Georges..

Bugibba, Malta
Level Contributor
743 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers...where to stay?

Hi Trimar,

Having been to Rhodes and Cyprus, the wife and I found Malta similar bur smaller. One of the main differences is Malta has fewer choices of sandy beaches. As was mentioned, Mellieha has probably the best beach on the island, and the sea is quite shallow, which makes Mellieha beach very popular for families with young children. Yesterday, being a public holiday, the beach was absolutely packed. The busiest resorts on Malta are St Julians/ Sliema and St Paul's Bay, Bugibba and Qawra. In all the resorts you will have easy access to the many restaurants, bars and transport for sightseeing, whether it be public buses, 'Hop On Hop Off' buses or tour company mini buses. Pleasure boat trips to the Maltese Islands can also be found in these resorts. It has been mentioned many times before that St Julians and Sliema are more densely residential areas, but have the better class shops, while St Paul's Bay, Bugibba and Qawra, which is one large resort, is described as 'Touristy', which is by no means to say they are inferior to the other resorts, just they are designed more for the holidaymaker. All resorts have a large selection of hotels for SC, B&B, HB, FB and AI and prices can vary from expensive to cheap according to requirements. Mellieha is basically split into two, the village and the beach and are a fair distance apart. Most of the bars and restaurants are in the village while the hotels with sea views are near the beach. The nearest resort to Mellieha would be Bugibba which is a 35 minute bus ride.

Have a good holiday.

Edited: 08 June 2014, 10:53
Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers...where to stay?

As your priorities appear to be a sandy beach, hotel with swimming pool, near a town, my suggestion is either Mellieha Bay or Mellieha village, it takes no more than 10 minutes by bus from one to the other.

Seabank hotel, which is located literally across the road from the beach, it is probably one of the most popular hotels in the area and has just reopened following a major rebuild. http://www.seabankhotel.com/

In Mellieha village which is about a mile up the hill there is the Maritim Antonine Hotel http://maritim.com.mt , the Solana Hotel http://www.solanahotelmalta.com/ , the Panorama Hotel http://www.panorama-hotel.com/en/ & the Pergola Hotel http://www.pergolahotel.com.mt/

Have a great holiday.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
22 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timers...where to stay?

If you´re looking at a relaxed vacation, I think twoo weeks is too much for either Malta or Cyprus. I lived in Cyprus one year, and visited Malta in the meantime. Both are lovely, and each has its own character. Why not to split your two weeks between the two? It´s a two hour flight, and Emirates makes it daily.

For Cyprus, I´d recomend you to stay in either Larnaca or Paphos (if you like it easy), or Agia Napa if what you´re looking for is nightlife. The three have excellent beaches, and from any of them you can make a day trip to the capital, Nicosia (between one and one-and-half hour drive by car, a little longer by public transport), which is worth a visit but nothing to kill yourself if you don´t go!!!

Also, keep in mind that the best beaches are on the North, Turkish-occupied side, but infrastructure is also poorer.

6. Re: First timers...where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2014, 12:33
South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,545 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timers...where to stay?

LUCAS Q. Totally disagree with you on two weeks being too long in Malta. What a load of non-sense and this is the second post I've just read in which you've written this. There is so much to see and do on Malta. I've been visiting for virtually 30 years and am still finding new places to see and things to do. There is so much history, etc, etc.

OP: Hope you've read the top questions about Malta on the right of your OP.

wales uk
Level Contributor
53 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timers...where to stay?

We go to Mellieha Bay hotel every November for the last 10 years and love it. Our children are 22 and 25 and they come with us most years. They have outdoor and indoor pools. There is a small sandy private beach, and the main beach is only a short walk away. There is day time entertainment 3 days during the week, and although the evening entertainment is geared to the older generation, some of it is good and is worthy of watching. All rooms are facing the sea and the view is fantastic. We find it a real chill out zone. We opt for all inclusive as I prefer to know exactly what extra money I need to take. No shocks then at the end of the holiday. Sometimes we hire a car and spend a few days doing the harder to reach by bus attractions, but for a majority of the stays we have used the buses. Trip adviser has many mixed reviews for this hotel, we have never had any problems and return without any hesitation.

england
Level Contributor
898 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timers...where to stay?

thank you so much for all your comments I will look at all you have suggested and 2 weeks is ideal for us but I appreciate everyone has different holiday wants and needs

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
22 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First timers...where to stay?

lovewarmerclimates: you have all the right to disagree, but no right to be disrespectful. What is nonsense for you may make a lot of sense for others. This is just a fórum, where everyone´s opinion is as valid as anyone else´s. Is not a legal court.