We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malta?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
653 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Malta?

Hello. We are a small American family, me, wife late30s, early 40s with a three year old boy looking to holiday in mediterranean. We immensely enjoyed Croatia last year and saw a television travel special on Malta and thought it looked great. We'd do two weeks end of August. Is the island a good destination for us. We've been throughout Europe otherwise and love beaches, seafood and of course the history but would like to try to avoid an Ibiza type place at all costs. please tell me Malta is a family friendly spot? Gracious thanks,

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Ibiza
Ibiza
Balearic Islands, Spain
Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malta?

Yes Malta is a very friendly island and is probably the safest place in the med. English very is spoken by all other than by a few of the very elderly.

It is steeped in History and has some lovely sandy beaches which are mainly in the north.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
11,177 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malta?

If you like history you will certainly like Malta.

It`s history goes back 7000 years and everything is within an island that is 17 miles by 9 miles ( approximately )

A good bus service gets you about easily and cheaply ---- 6.50 euro for a weekly ticket giving unlimited rides anywhere.

Plenty of decent restaurants doing seafood and other sorts.

Malta even has McDonalds and Burger King. ---- I love Big Macs !

Please come and enjoy Malta.

Graham

Haacht, Belgium
Level Contributor
125 posts
480 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malta?

Malta is a fantastic destination. Friendly people, cheap and good public transport ,a lot to see and do.

2 remarks:

1. In August it will be very hot in Malta. So stay near the sea, at least you get a breeze.

2. So places in Malta are like Ibiza, for more people who want to party. But you will find other places which are more quiet. If you want a sand beach, you have to stay in the north.

You could also stay in Gozo (the other island), more quiet. And some very nice bays with a small sand beach. There are lot of ferries between Gozo and Malta. It takes only 25 minutes and a return only costs 4, 65 euro.

Mentioned in this post
Ibiza
Ibiza
Balearic Islands, Spain
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
653 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malta?

Well we just booked flights so should be a splendid adventure either way. Thinking of either the Hitlon in St Julian or the Radisson or else someone's villa. is the Radisson too out of the way? it seems to have a private beach whereas the Hilton has outdoor and indoor pools.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
105 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malta?

Malta is an excellent choice for a family holiday. Just note that the Hilton is very nice but is pretty close to Paceville which is probably the most Ibiza-like part of the island. What kind of place/town/setting would you like stay in?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
653 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malta?

Something close to a historic town center and a beach but suitable for small children, so good pool options and/or private beach access would be nice.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
105 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malta?

Some places to consider

Mellieha: child friendly large beach in the north (close to where you get the boat to Gozo which would be very much worth a visit for beaches, some very important historical sites and nice towns). The town itself has a couple of historical sites but not as many as compared to say Valletta or Mdina. Quieter in the evening than say some of the more traditional resorts like Sliema and Bugibba (these last two don't offer much in historical interest).

Valletta: Heaps and heaps of history. No major beach but some hotels with pools and private beach (not necessarily sandy). Quiet in the evenings.

Hope that helps a bit.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
3,077 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malta?

The Hilton is very child friendly and situated far enough from the lively part of St Julian's (Paceville) for it not to spoil your holiday. The only negative is that the Hilton does not have a sandy beach although it does have a nice beach club/pool area with access into the sea via ladders. There is a small sandy beach about 10 minutes walk away at St George's Bay. You will have excellent bus links to The capital Valletta and other parts of the island including direct buses to the large sandy beaches at the north of the island (Mellieha). If you intend to hire a car there are also parking facilities at the Hilton.

There are 2 Raddisson hotels one at St George's Bay, again in a quiet area but only a 10 minute walk to St Julian's. The other is at Golden Bay which is a very remote area in the north of the island with few facilities within walking distance outside of the hotel. A plus with Golden Bay is the direct proximity of a nice sandy beach part of which is reserved for the Raddisson.

If you get the opportunity it might be nice to split your vacation between Malta and quieter Gozo, and in Gozo I would look at hotels in either Xlendi or Marsalforn.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
653 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malta?

Thanks so much. I've been researching villas and hotel options all day, and will likely do so for the next week but we are very excited to travel to Malta.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
22 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malta?

I´ve been to Malta in 2012 with my wife and 2 pre-teenagers. We loved the place, although we couldn´t enjoy the beaches for it was December. It has a old fashioned charm I haven´t found anywhere else (and I´ve been around quite a bit!!!).

On the other hand, I think 2 weeks is maybe too much for such a small country, unless you really want to take a break from everyday´s life. If you´re going to spend your 2 weeks there, I´d advice to split them between the two main islands (let´s say eight to ten days in Malta itself and the rest in Gozo).

Hope to read your positive feedback in a couple of months!!!!