We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PRA>MLA 7 days in Malta then MLA>BCN ?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
PRA>MLA 7 days in Malta then MLA>BCN ?

Hi!

My husband and I are excitedly planning for our first Europe trip Next May/June for 6 weeks. My husband would like to visit Malta to get in touch with his heritage!

Our ideal itinerary would include spending: 8 nights London

4 nights Paris

1 week Berlin

4 nights Prague

1 week Malta

1 week Barcelona

Not 100% sure on order but this seemed logical in my early days of planning. I searched for flights from Prague to Malta then Malta to Barcelona just for a test around this time of the year and prices seemed reasonable and operating 3 times a week to 6 times a week.

Now I am panicking as I am searching for the dates we'd like, early June, and there seem to be no direct flights between these destinations after the end of October. I have searched Air Malta, Ryan Air and Smart Wings. It would appear we'd have to fly from Vienna or Munich which would add a lot on unnecessary time and money to the trip.

Am I doing this wrong? Please help :)

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,585 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PRA>MLA 7 days in Malta then MLA>BCN ?

I do t know the flight availability between the different cities, but two thoughts;

Maybe too soon to look for flights for next season - the schedules may not be announced yet, so look in a few months time. There's an air travel forum so it may also be worth asking there.

If necessary, juggle the sequence around and fly to Malta from London (Gatwick may be best) and back via there if necessary. Consider the train for London to Paris (Eurostar).

hampshire_UK
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PRA>MLA 7 days in Malta then MLA>BCN ?

You are definitely too early to book these routes, you need Veuling Airlines for MLA-BCN and Air Malta for PRA-MLA. Probably be about October before you get the 2015 schedules. As the previous post suggests it might be worth looking at changing your schedule to arrive from and depart to a major hub for Air Malta flights - London Gatwick(LGW) where Easyjet, and BA also offer daily flights toMLA operate , London Heathrow (LHR) and Paris(CDG) where Air Malta codeshare with Air France. From those points you will have several options for all the other places you want to visit. PRA and BCN flights to MLA are not daily and if something goes wrong it is more likely to affect your forward plan.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PRA>MLA 7 days in Malta then MLA>BCN ?

Thank you both for your insights.

Seems I am jumping the gun on this but the info on departing from London and maybe returning to Paris is most helpful.

:D

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,661 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PRA>MLA 7 days in Malta then MLA>BCN ?

Behmah,where are you setting off from,at a guess Australia,but where shouts in australia

Ive asked this because it will make it easier for me too try and help you

Eileen

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,661 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PRA>MLA 7 days in Malta then MLA>BCN ?

Behmah,heres how I would do it,Its based on fight companies realy,and where they fly too and from.

Emirates - austalia (if thats where you live) to London Gatwick (via Dubai)

Easy Jet - Gatwick to Malta

Air malta - Malta - Berlin

Vueling - Berlin -Barcelona

Vueling - Barcelona - Prague

Air France - Prague -Paris

Emirates - Paris - Australia (if where your from )

All off theses airlines operate these routes,I chose Emirates from Australia as Ive flown with them and Quantas and there bascially same company now,they share the routes,so it does not matter which site you use as either just gives you the flights which either operate that day.

If you require further help with your destinations like things too do,places to eat,transport around each city etc,then I suggest you post your questions on each destinations forum,However I have being too all these places,but the only ones that I know well are London,Malta,Barcelona,so could help you with theses destinations,Ive also being to perth and spent a bit of time in Busselton WA as my parents had a second home untill last year in Busselton,so thats why I chose emirates as flown with a few to perth and I found them the best,and so did my parents,infact as my mother still has a cousin in Freemantle,theyve being to see him this year,and are still planning on going too see him every year and they wont fly with any one else if they cant get emirates for the date they want they change plans so they can fly with them.

The schedules for the flight companies in Europe should be out by October/November.

Emirates and Quantas is out now,

Hope this Helps,Let me Know how you get on

Regards

Eileen

Inverness
Level Contributor
93 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PRA>MLA 7 days in Malta then MLA>BCN ?

Don't get me wrong, I love Berlin and Barcelona, but on a 'grand tour' like this 4 days would be enough (as with your Paris and Prague), then perhaps you could go to Austria and Italy.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PRA>MLA 7 days in Malta then MLA>BCN ?

alex1504 Re: our trip including 7 days in Barcelona: this is somewhere my husband has wanted to go for 10 years, so I'm trying to be fair to him. I have heard from one other person that it would be great for a week. But will ask a few more opinions. :) Thank you.

yorkshiregirl503927 - Hi Eileen. thank you for all that info. Its a great help that you've been to some of these places yourself. We would be leaving from Melbourne Australia.

Everything that you've suggested makes sense and I appreciate the work you've put in.

I will be speaking to a travel agent in a few days to see what they suggest as well. Emirates sounds fantastic but they also sound expensive. I suppose when you are spending that much time in the air it would be worth it. Hopefully we can pick up some sale fares as I believe they are out in a couple of months. Flying out of London to Malta really seems like the way to go.

I wont harass you about it now but will no doubt be after some info about Malta in the next few months. :)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,661 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: PRA>MLA 7 days in Malta then MLA>BCN ?

Belmah,TO be honest,the 7/8 days in some places does seem a bit long,unless of course you are going to hire a car and go out on day trips to see a bit more of the area,like London you could do oxford visit the university as well as oxford being very beautiful and full of heritage,you could also sample the seaside Brighton maybe,but even then 8 days seems a bit long id do 6 4 for London itself and 2 day trips,paris i would only give 4 days too,maybe get the fast train to nice for 3 days and sample the French riveria,berlin i would only give 4 days too,maybe flie to Vienna for 3 nights,Barcelona i would still do the 7 days,there is a hell of a lot too see and do there plus you can get the train to the beautifull costa brava,its only an hour away,Malta i would still keep at 7 nights as once again a lot too see and do on such a small island,you can buy a weekley bus ticket for only 6.50 euros and travel any where on mainland Malta for a week up too 11pm then the night buses start a seperate charge for them but are not expensive compared to Australian or uk prices,i would also maybe try and fit Italy in stay in Rome for a couple of nights,there is fast train from nice (france)to save you flying,obvisouly,to fit Vienna and nice,and Rome in your have to shorten stay in some places thus could be done by shortening your stay in London and berlin,

prices of emirates yes a bit pricey,but flying between the uk and Australia is not cheap whoever you use,my mother and father allwsys used a booking agent called trailfinder there on the net,and allwsys got very good deals via them,give them a try they can probably help you with the rest of the planning and booking too,as a job lot.lol,i know my parents used them this way as allwsys had a stay in Dubai to cut the journey down,and booked holidays with them to Bali,and other parts of Australia,for while they were in Australia all at once type of thing,there very good give them a try,have a look at them on net,then if you think they may be able to help id ring them and tell them what you want,theyll prob ring you back if you ask them too as a booking with that sort of iteniary will take a while.

regards

Eileen

Edited: 18 July 2014, 01:06
Melbourne
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: PRA>MLA 7 days in Malta then MLA>BCN ?

Perfect. Some wonderful advice.

Although I know a week in each city might not be a lot we would like to explore different areas and get to know the subculture rather than spend a few days dashing past the main attractions. Would also like to do a bit of relaxing & unpack the suitcase a bit too :)

I also am 1/2 English heritage & 1/2 German and that's another reason we'd like to devote a bit more time to those places.

Mind you I was looking into going on a day trip to Brighton so your spot on there! Thanks again.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: PRA>MLA 7 days in Malta then MLA>BCN ?

Thanks also for the buses in Malta - that's so cheap!

And good to hear our Barcelona 1 week will be time well spent :)