We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OK, We are Booked. No itinerary, no time limitations

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
213 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
OK, We are Booked. No itinerary, no time limitations

So we booked yesterday. Flying in on 24/9 after a visit to Prague. We have wanted to return ever since we stopped for a day while on a cruise ship.

So, no hotel or itinerary yet. But we have an open itinerary-could spend a week or two weeks. Thinking of an VRBO apartment for a week-touring by bus and then renting a car for a few days to do more touring and change locations. Maybe some small villages or B&B's. Just ordered the guidebooks from the library to get some ideas.

SO, any suggestions from the experts out there. Should be rent an apt., where, Goza?, itineraries, and any of those important 'don't dos?

Thanks very much

My Maltese Guide
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Colour My Travel
Ghost & Vampire Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
Malta Private Guide
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Rolling Geeks
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: OK, We are Booked. No itinerary, no time limitations

Congratulations, you've chosen one of the most interesting places in Europe to visit, and, in my opinion one of the best times to visit (I have to say that as I next visit on 24/9!). What you might nott have gotten a full appreciation of on your last visit is how small Malta is, so staying in one location is the norm. You can easily get anywhere using the extensive and frequent public bus service - all for €6.50 for a full week of unlimited travel, or by car. Take a look at the holiday rentals tab at the top of the page for some ideas of where to stay. If you do spend more than a week, you might like to think about spending a few days on Gozo for a totally different experience, Gozo is much smaller, relaxed and traditional.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
213 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OK, We are Booked. No itinerary, no time limitations

Thanks. Will do. We are from Canada. Prior to going to Malta we are do a three city tour of Budapest, Vienna, and Prague. So, after that we will be ready for a week in near the sea. Understand the buses. Plan to use them, and perhaps a day or two with a car. Don't intend to pay for a car to have it sit outside!

If we do a week in one place, I think that we will go to Gozo for a few days. After that it will be over to Sicily. Thanks again.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,533 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OK, We are Booked. No itinerary, no time limitations

Sounds like a fantastic trip, you’re visiting some of my favourite European destinations.

Have a look at my trip reports and photographs on the following links, may give you some ideas about places to visit. If you have any specific questions let me know & I will try and help if I can.

Have a fantastic time!

Island of Gozo...
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: OK, We are Booked. No itinerary, no time limitations

Hi, I really suggest that you spend a couple of days in Gozo. Gozo is a very beautiful island, and if you do, i suggest that you rent a farmhouse during your stay. Such farmhouses are really large and with private pool and you would definitely have a fantastic relaxing time. I suggest this one: https://www.facebook.com/TalBirFarmhouse

Also, during your stay in Malta, I suggest that you take one of the interesting tours offered by www.colourmytravel.com

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: OK, We are Booked. No itinerary, no time limitations

Glad you chose to come back after your one day cruise .

If you are here for the sea and the sun , a seaside hotel will be the best deal , and there are lots .

Top of my list , if you have a car , Radisson Blu Golden Sands , if you find a booking this late ? Second choice would be Seabank hotel Mellieha , even if too touristy ! All other hotels are close to the sea if you consider that Malta is only a 15 minute drive in any direction to the sea . The hotels I mentioned are sitting on the best two sandy beaches in Malta .

I would visit Gozo and maybe spend a few days there , in another hotel , like San Lawrenz or Cornocopia , come to mind . Gozo is even smaller and any hotel is closer to the sea , a 5 minute drive , maybe Xlendi hotels are in the bay .

If you are hiring a car , make sure it is Airconditioned and properly insured , by using a creditable company like Hertz !

Bring or buy a good hat, sunglasses and sun protection cream , the UV index is 12 or higher and the temperature after 10 in the morning is in the 30s or 40s C .

Hope you enjoy our islands and become a good ambassador in Canada

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
213 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: OK, We are Booked. No itinerary, no time limitations

We are travelling on a budget. So far we have booked 3 nights in St. Julians, then 4/5 nights in Gozo (Marsalforn), followed by another 5 nights in Marsaskala. Will probably rent a car for a day or two.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
653 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: OK, We are Booked. No itinerary, no time limitations

my .02 CAD.

When in Vienna eat at Purstner, real touristy schmaltzy place with gargantuan helpings of wienerschnitzel and humongous beers served in a bavarian style place but it's a real hoot and came recommended when we were there.

In Prague do not miss Cafe Louvre and sit where Kafka sat. But do NOT go on the river tour, huge tourist trap with bad food, just walk around over the charles bridge to kampa island to eat. much better use of a few hours.

In Budapest, DO go on the river tour -- much higher quality food and much better views and take a walk over to margaret island. it's like NYC Central park on an island in the river. also the public pools at Széchenyi Baths.

no input on malta as we'll be there next month for the first time too!

8. Re: OK, We are Booked. No itinerary, no time limitations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2015, 05:15