We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute August in Malta - beach and writing holiday

London, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Last minute August in Malta - beach and writing holiday

I’m trying to plan a holiday for August.

Briefly, I’m hoping for the following

-A sunny place where I can swim in the sea in the mornings, explore on foot in the afternoons and write in the evenings for the whole month of August.

-I don’t drive but I’d like to explore more than just one place, so easy bus rides/ boat rides to other places would be helpful

-Preferably a place where I can get by comfortably with English

-I’ll be on my own so I want to feel safe walking around alone.

-A beach with locker facilities would be ideal (since I won’t have anyone to leave my keys etc.)

-A good beach with clean water that isn’t too busy

-A town (or somewhere near to towns that I can take trips to) with historic architecture and or natural attractions (e.g. nature trails, caves, volcanoes)

-I don’t mind being in a place with other tourists (I know August is peak season) around but -I’d rather it not be so overrun that it feels like England transplanted to a warmer climate

-I’m happy to short term rent a home or stay in an affordable hotel. I don’t want to pay more than £80 per night (preferably £50 per night) on acomodation

-Wi-fi would be useful

-I’m thinking about staying in one place and using that as a base to travel to other locations (on day trips) but I’d also be happy to stay in multiple places if that’s more realistic (e.g. stay in a place where I can swim for one week, then move somewhere with historic sights, then move somewhere natural sights)

Malta has just occurred to me as a place that might fulfil these preferences but I know very little about the place. So I was hoping to get advice on the following

-What’s Malta like in August?

-Will the beaches be constantly packed

-Any recommendations for places that best meet my preferences

-Will it be impossible to find accommodation?

-Is it possible to travel between the Maltese islands? And nearby Sicily?

-If there are any places other of Malta that might suit me better.

I know that this is quite a last minute plan and that my preferences will be difficult to fulfil but I’m willing to compromise

When it comes to alternative recommendations, I don’t mind flying long haul. And whilst ideally I’d be in a place where I can get by with English (when taking transport, asking for directions, buying groceries etc.) but failing that, I’d feel more comfortable in a place where the main language is Portuguese, Spanish, Italian or French because I have some basic knowledge of these languages.

Thanks in advance

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,717 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute August in Malta - beach and writing holiday

You will certainly not have any language problems as the majority of people are fluent in English. Anybody that you come across as a visitor will certainly speak good English.

Some older people and people from the country may not but most will.

As for safety , Malta is probably one of the safest places on earth, There is not much crime against tourists but you should not walk round bent over with the weight of gold or dazzling people with the glare from your diamonds !

Getting about in Malta is quite easy and with it being a small island nowhere is too far away.

A possible place to stay might be Mellieha, The beach is the biggest and best in Malta and the actual village -- about a mile away has plenty of cafes , bars etc,

The beaches will get bust and august will be extremely hot , and I mean HOT. Lots of suncream , gallons of water and a hat.

Mellieha is very well situated for visiting Gozo as the ferry is only ten or fifteen minutes away by bus and the ferry crossing about 25 minutes.

Valletta is worth a day or two exploring as is Mdina and the Three Cities.

A 7 day bus ticket giving unlimited rides costs just 6.50 euros.

If history interests you then Malta has more places to see than any other place for it`s size.

Have a look at some of the Q & A at the top of the Malta page ---- may give you some ideas

Sure you would enjoy your stay.

Graham

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,717 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute August in Malta - beach and writing holiday

After sleeping on this question I have had the following thought,

How anout some time in Mellieha for relaxing and swimming , then move to Sliema a lovely busy residential town with quick easy access to Valletta . Mdina end places of historical interest,

For your writing I think Gozo would be ideal . It is very rural , very quiet and not so populated.

Must be a good place for writng ------ it was the home of Nicholas Monseratt.

Graham

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,839 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute August in Malta - beach and writing holiday

I've been to Malta, and coincdentally stayed at Mellieha. It sounds like it fits perfectly. The country has everything you mentioned in your post.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
335 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute August in Malta - beach and writing holiday

You will find everything you are looking for in Malta,have a great time.I hope you write better than what I can do.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute August in Malta - beach and writing holiday

Mellieha is an excellent choice and you have the choice of staying in the village which is set in an elevated position overlooking the Bay (some inspiring views) or the Bay Area where you will be closer to the sea for your swims (albeit both are only a short bus ride apart or a longish walk which I wouldn't recommend in the August heat). The historical sites can be easily reached by the regular bus service. Enjoy your stay.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
105 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute August in Malta - beach and writing holiday

Just to add what to has already been said ... As you have the luxury of a whole month to explore I would strongly suggest spending a few days on the island of Gozo (Easy to access by ferry) ... I can imagine that a writer would find the island very amenable to their vocation. Indeed, Anthony Burgess wrote A Clockwork Orange on the island. There are some lovely beaches and nice small towns (Marsalforn, Xlendi) which you can stay overnight and swim at. Also plenty of sights: Ta Pinu, Citadel in Victoria, Ggantia, Azure window. Lots of nice small villages too It is very safe. As already eluded to, it will be very hot and populated with tourists though. Enjoy.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last minute August in Malta - beach and writing holiday

August will be hot. From what you describe you will need at least a week on Gozo...less crowded, some great restaurants, sandy beaches and places to explore. In Malta nowhere is too far really. We usually like to go to museums/sightsee etc early in the morning and do our swimming late afternoon..mainly cos museums close by 4.30 or so in summer. There are other places to research for your stay..Marsascala, Marsachlokk (never can remember how to spell it), 3 cities (though not sure about swimming there), Birzebuggia are places for a quieter holiday and probably not as expensive. Sliema is my favourite but maybe too busy for what you want - love the Promenade walk to St Julians at night. Bugibba/Qawra..not my favourite place too touristy, souvenir type shops, lots of bars though the promenade/ beaches are nice. Valletta and Mdina are lovely but no swimming in Mdina as its in the centre of Malta. As you have a month I would stay at several places and even possibly only book the first couple of nights or more, in meantime explore the island and see where you would like to spend more time at. Then go to a real estate agent and ask if there are any longer lets.

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Last minute August in Malta - beach and writing holiday

Hello,

I just wanted to thank everyone that's posted so far, your recommendations will really help me to figure out where to go.

Thanks again

9. Re: Last minute August in Malta - beach and writing holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2015, 05:16