We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malta 19-26th Sept

swanse
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Malta 19-26th Sept

I am off to Malta for a week starting on 19th sept.

Does anyone know if there any special events, festivals, markets, one-offs that are happening when I am out there?

Thanks

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malta 19-26th Sept

I think Hat 776 has answered your question by another post.

On 21 September Malta celebrates Independence day .

That is to celebrate when the Maltese obtained a right to create a government of their country, as opposed to being under complete English Rule.

The Nationalist Party usually organises a mass meeting at Valletta , and their are stalls that sell various Maltese foods.

The importance of Independence day may have been dampered due to the fact that Malta is now part of the EU and has to follow all the rules of the Europian Union , bringing to end the Maltese independence, the Lira and the powers of the Maltese Law.Also :--------

The Market at Valletta is open every morning and good for some shopping.All Museums and The Malta Experience are also open every day.

Have a nice holiday :-)visit www.visitmalta.com and all the other sites suggested by Hat776 before you come over.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malta 19-26th Sept

Try www.whatson.com.mt also many of the sites I mentioned have `events`.

As for markets, Sunday Morning there is a huge market held at Marsalxlokk, Actually, it`s held every day but it`s big on Sundays. There are direct buses there from Sliema and Bugibba. Many towns and villages have markets, but they are usually just clothes and fruit/veg.

Independence Day has a Military Parade (good standard) not Band Marches as I said.

There is also a concert of classical music at the Palace Courtyard.

On the 20 - 21 September there is the National Powerboat Race at St Pauls Bay and you`ll just miss the Air Show on the 27 - 28

Get the booklet `Events` from the Airport or any Tourist Office.

You`re not going to find much info on the Comino Forum (it`s just a really tiny island with one hotel) - go on the Malta Forum and you`ll find all you need to know.

Good Luck

London, United...
Level Contributor
590 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malta 19-26th Sept

I will be in Valletta 20.9 and was wondering what time does the Military Parade take place? I was thinking of visiting Marsalxlokk in the late morning/afternoon, but I am wondering now whether I should spend all day in Valletta instead in order to see the Parade and any other Independence Day celebrations?

This forum has been a great place to gather useful tips and information for my first trip to the island. Thus I would like to say Thank You to all forum posters for valuable information and insight about Malta!!

3 more days to go…I can’t wait to get out of London for a warmer climate for a change ;)

London, United...
Level Contributor
590 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malta 19-26th Sept

ooops..I meant that I will be there on 21.9 ;) I will arrive on 20.9 though.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malta 19-26th Sept

The parade is usually in the morning - there will be details in the newspapers a couple of days before.

Salisbury UK
Level Contributor
432 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malta 19-26th Sept

Hi Finn,

If you were thinking of visiting Marsaxlokk later rather than earlier that Sunday you would have missed the big market as it usually finishes around 2pm unless things have changed recently.

There are still some nice restaurants open and the fishing village is well worth a visit with or without the market.

Enjoy your holiday.

London, United...
Level Contributor
590 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malta 19-26th Sept

Hatt: thanks for the info ;) I will definitely stay in Valletta to see the parade and any other action there might be for the Independence Day.

LurkerDave: I just wanted to go to Marsaxlokk to see the pretty harbour with boats and to have a lunch. I also read from somewhere that you can take a water taxi from there to Three cities. Thus, I can do all that on another day in order to see the parade. I will go to the Monti market on Sunday in Valletta though..

Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
629 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Malta 19-26th Sept

I am assuming you meant water taxi from Valletta to the Three cities, yes you can, I believe they are on traditional Maltese Dghajsa boats. I would guess this info is still current but a nice little website is http://www.maltesewatertaxis.com/

I wouldn't have thought there was from Marsaxlokk to the three cities as this is quite a boat trip around the coast - I might be wrong though...

You can easily spend a day in Valletta without any extra's like a parade, so I would leave the whole day for Valletta on the Sunday.

Regards Trisha

Salisbury UK
Level Contributor
432 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malta 19-26th Sept

ma.and.pa.boathouse are right on that. There isn't a ferry or boat to the Three Cities from Marsaxlokk or to anywhere else.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malta 19-26th Sept

Trisha = the site is good.

Years ago there used to be numerous trips from the Three Cities to Valletta. People are always saying there should be Ferry boats to reduce the traffic congestion but unfortunately they haven`t happened yet.

Get answers to your questions about Comino
Recent Conversations