We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Noisy at Grand Hotel?

NRW
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Noisy at Grand Hotel?

Hi!

My boyfriend (25) and I (24) want to spend a week in June on malta, and we think about the Grand Hotel to stay. It would be our first travel to malta and we hope you can help us, because we heard, that there are road works near the harbour, and the whole traffic ist redirect to the front of the hotel. Is this still so? Is it loud? is it a good hotel?

Should we take a room with landview or would it still be to noisy or just not such a good choice in respect to the view?

Do you know alternatives? We don't want to stay in the middle of a lot of tourists but we also want some good restaurant near by, aswell as the sea. Just in front of the door :)

We also want to visit a lot, so we need the possibility to get the bus, because we don't want to rent a car.

Thank you!

London, United...
Level Contributor
941 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Noisy at Grand Hotel?

Grand Hotel is a good hotel with nice views. Yes at the moment they are working on the last stages of the harbour terminal (as far a i am informed) and also there are road works at the main road, so all the traffic is deverted to the road where the hotel is situated. Maybe it will be noisy, especially as the holiday season is picking up! Other alternatives for a hotel with 'the sea just infront of the door' is the Calypso hotel in Marsalforn. You can check about this. It is difficult to cover the most beautiful parts of Gozo with the bust, and therefore i recommend that you either get car hire or otherwise bicycle or moped hire!

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Noisy at Grand Hotel?

It will be probably a little bit noisy because as magnusson said traffic is passing by and tourists are increasing at the moment..

But why are you staying in Gozo? I know Gozo is quiter than Malta and with better views than Malta but apart from the fact that the sea infront of the Grand Hotel is not suitable for swimming (since the Gozo ferry is all the time coming in and out of the harbour) everytime you'll want to visit Malta you'll have to get the ferry....which will be costly and not comfortable......my suggestion would be to stay in Malta with all the amneties near (bus, beach, restaurants etc) and then go to Gozo for a day to visit.

Suggestions for Hotels near the sea would be:

The Seabank Hotel in Mellieha:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g230152-d267340…

The Waterfront Hotel in Sliema:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1096301-d26493…

If you search around tripadvisor there would be alot of other suggestions for Hotels in Malta.

These hotels especially the ones in Sliema have very good public transport and since you will not have a car the better way to visit all around Malta and Gozo would be to stay in the centre of Malta and still taking advantage of the sea.

Hope this helps you....have a nice holiday!!!

uk
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Noisy at Grand Hotel?

we stayed in the Grand mid may this year for a week, had a superior suite, there is always some noise from the traffic and harbour, nothing major and when you are in your room with the curtains closed at night you hear nothing.

Take either a superior suite or room overlooking pool, we always have superior suite

enjoy

uk
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Noisy at Grand Hotel?

parts of the mgarr road now open got back tues but there is a a bit of traffic but nothing to worry about. its a good choice and easy to get about other villages. from mgarr

malta
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Noisy at Grand Hotel?

I would suggest to stay in Gozo... Just choose another hotel and i recommend you visit Ta' Frenc Restaurant. Its the best restaurant in the Maltese Islands!

malta
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Noisy at Grand Hotel?

Its me again. If you would like to take a look in advance i suggest to visit www.tafrencrestaurant.com and www.tafrencrestaurant.com/weddings for more information. You just have to see to believe.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Noisy at Grand Hotel?

For a young couple going to Malta, I would advise to stay in Valletta on malta lots to do day and night ,lots of clubs in Paceville. Gozo is very beautiful but very quiet. Hard to navigate busses.

8. Re: Noisy at Grand Hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about Island of Gozo