We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If going soon...be careful

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
155 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
If going soon...be careful

Just to say returned Wednesday after a lovely holiday, it was quite hot, and mozzies are in full swing, and jellyfish were about, although I did not see them, but the rush at Hondoq with the buckets to catch them was amazing, so just take care.

For Twirl have a great time and enjoyed the Xerril restaurant, the best view ever, and it is hot over there!!!

J

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If going soon...be careful

I`ve been told that citronella candles (available even from the tal-lira shops) are very effective against the mozzies. The vape mat Twirl mentioned are also very good.

Both are cheap and well worth buying.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If going soon...be careful

Hi Jay and Hat

Only 4 days to go now, can't wait especially with the weather we are having here - pouring in Newcastle but not in London as Wimbledon hasn't been rained off.

For mozzies use Sterminio - electrical device that you put vap mats in every night. Most shops will have them. For Jellyfish waspeze is very effective, it has an antihistamine (brings down swelling and eases itch)in it and also a local anaesthetic to help with the pain. I never go to Malta without these two with me.

Jay, we are hoping to go to Gozo for a few days so will definitely be returning to Xerri il bukket, food is good and view is to die for. Might also try it-tmun in Xlendi

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If going soon...be careful

Twirl - I`ve heard alot of people are using citronella candles. Do you know if they are any good ?

Newcastle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If going soon...be careful

I've never tried them myself but they are usually used outside e.g. at a barbeque or just eating outside at someone's house. We've always used moon tiger but I don't know if you can still find that now. I'd be happy to give citronella candles a go

Leicester,England
Level Contributor
217 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If going soon...be careful

I have been to a variety of countries where mosquitos can be a problem, both in Europe and the Far East. In all these they had some form of Lemon scented candle so I have to assume that they must be effective. It is always difficult to know for sure - if you used something and didn't get bitten was it because of or in spite of? Still if the same idea has developed across the world there must be some basis to it.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
155 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If going soon...be careful

Well, I have always been a believer in woodlands fresh body spray, by the knock on your door A...!!

it has always worked,but I would spray away as usual only to get some nasty bites, I have asthma so am reluctant to use the plug ins, but next time I will be using them

j

Newcastle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If going soon...be careful

Was on a BA flight from London to Newcastle this week (went to watch Wimbldon - ladies semi finals, brilliant day - I digress) and they had this device in their magazine for about £12-£13 that emits an ultrasonic beep that humans don't hear and it is supposed to keep mozzies away. My son is going to SE Asia so I wanted to buy one to see if it works (added ammunition against the malaria mozzie, I thought). Anyway they don't sell it on domestic flights. Anyone got any idea if they do work or not

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If going soon...be careful

I always use citronella candle from Tal lira and my BBQ's have always been mozzie free. I use one of the big base candles in the dining room overnight and it keeps them away in the apartment.

Have a good time Twirl 24 days for me yet!!

Island of Gozo...
Level Contributor
380 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If going soon...be careful

Vitamin B1 is the answer.

I returned today and have been bitten a lot. I was experimenting as a lot of people poo poo me when I say Vitamin B1 2-4 weeks before you travel and while away stops the little buggers biting.

I decided not to take them and got bitten.

Give em a try they are available from Holland and Barrett around £3.00 for 100 tablets.

Let me know.

Belle

Kent
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If going soon...be careful

Hi, We were in Marsalforn at the Calypso Hotel in the middle of June and never saw one, but are going back early August with our daughter, were you anywhere near Marsalforn, please, don't fancy getting bitten!!