We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba diving

midlands
Level Contributor
90 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Scuba diving

Anyone used Gozo Aqua Sports? What do you think? I know an instructor that useds to work there a few years back, who is as I would say is 'safe' - and I there are so many dodgy outfits about!! and just wondering what is is like nowadays.

thanks Kat

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba diving

Kat ... you're listening to too many fairy stories. There are very very few "dodgy outfits" as you so eloquently put it. The dodgiest thing about most Maltese operators is 1) they will always try to sell you a course (that's the PADI way !!) and 2) Maltese timekeeping ... but hey you're on holiday.

I think it depend where you are going to stay but don't rush ahead and book a package with anyone. Go dive with them and see how you like them. If you like it stay with it and if not there are about 65 other operators to choose from .. plus several of us independents that guide/buddy only.

midlands
Level Contributor
90 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba diving

When i said 'dodgy' outfits I did not mean Maltese - I have never been before. I was refering to other holidays I have been on, mainly ones to Greece where I have met some crazy crazy people!! I can assure you they due exist!!!

I look forward to diving in Gozo and will look about and get a feel about the place before booking anywhere. And as you suggest maybe one dive to start with would be the best way to go but you make it sound absolutely fine for me!

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba diving

Try divebluewaters.com Franco is very amiable. The best thing about Maltese waters are the lack of tides and the clarity of the water.

In Greece they almost have to be dodgy to comply with the strict dive laws. Not an easy place to dive because of the opportunities of finding artefacts and of their disturbance.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
kent
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Scuba diving

my son and I dived with them last year and had a really good time. if we go back to gozo this year we will dive with them again. bighands

kent
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Scuba diving

my son and I dived with them last year and had a really good time. if we go back to gozo this year we will dive with them again. bighands

London, United...
Level Contributor
941 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Scuba diving

almost all diving companies are reliable. Family members use to dive with Frankie's Diving. Honestly i have little experience in diving....Scubapro is the prof in this area

uk
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Scuba diving

my grandsons went with st andrews in xlendi they were very good as the boys were 14 and 17 took care of them each day.

8. Re: Scuba diving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about Island of Gozo