We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

secret places

Arsy, France
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
secret places

we are off to Gozo for two weeks in August - it was a surprise booking as I had never thought of going to Malta/gozo in the past but watched the tale end of a tv programme on Malta and I was sold on going - so I spend a few days looking at places to stay etc and just booked it (normally I would be doing weeks of research about a place before a booked)

anyhoo - we (family with kids etc) will be staying in a villa in Gharb and will have a car for the time we are there - apart from the usual must sees, what else do you recommend, in particular, off the beaten track beaches and sites, the quieter and less touristy the better - also, any top places to eat etc that is typically Maltese

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,420 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: secret places

For a good meal I recomend a restaurant called REXXY at Ghajnsielem. It is in that village on the main road between the Mgarr ferry and Victoria.

Very popular eating place full of locals ---- gets very full at lunchtime

enjoy your stay

Graham

uk
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: secret places

your chuldren will love snorkling at the inland sea the water is very warm in summer. also the beach at hon doc beach not much to write about but the sea is superb also take them on a boat trip to commino and swim in th blue lagoon.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: secret places

Ramla Bay for a sandy beach, snorkelling off the rocky beaches. Don't miss Xlendi and from Gharb you are very near the Azure Window and Dwejra. Boat trips are a must. Hondoq ir-rummien beach is spectacular, quite a steep hill down to it though - the restaurant there is really good too

It's very hot in August so make sure you keep very well hydrated, out of the midday sun and lots and lots of sun cream. Hire a car with air conditioning because you will be glad of it to escape the heat

Enjoy

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: secret places

I would suggest a visit to Hondoq ir-Rummien, access to the beach is a little bit difficult, but well worth it - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%A6ondoq_ir-Rummien .

Enjoy your visit.

Arsy, France
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: secret places

excellent thanks for the the info so far

as for the heat - we are all used to it luckily

are there any breathtaking views at all?

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: secret places

The follow are must-see in Gozo

1. Azure Window

2. Citadella

3. View of the channel from Xerri il-Bukkett - Qala

Enjoy

London
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: secret places

At Xlendi follow the footpath across the rocks heading towards the little white coastal tower. When you reach the tower look down and there are some salt pans and a yellow limestone shelf, go along a bit and get down onto the limestone shelf. There are some huge eroded boulders here (great for photos) its like the surface of the moon, also the yellow cliff overhangs where the stone has eroded and you can stand underneath - it's weird. It's the sort of place fashion photographers dream of........you might just bump into Kate Moss!

The views of the mighty cliffs further up the coast are amazing too as is the view back to Xlendi

Enjoy!

Ntd

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: secret places

Aye up Graham, agreed about Rexxies, we had two pretty good meals in there last year, had the stuffed chicken breast once and it was huge and really nice, it was stuffed with Maltese sauasage and bacon etc, very rich but jolly tasty, also had a the biggest rack of ribs I have ever seen in all my life a few days later, wouldn't normally go for something like that in a local restaurant but a chap and his wife behind us on hols from Mosta had them and he said they were fab so in I dived, Mrs Siggiewi4 didn't think I would eat them all but I polished em off no problemo, the local wine was cheap and nice in there also and you are right about it being packed with locals, people were waiting at the bar and outside for a table, well worth a visit and not expensive at all either

Arsy, France
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: secret places

thank you for all your advice and tips - really looking forward to going and researching what to do and see

Arsy, France
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: secret places

we are off today for 2 weeks - got a car, got your tips and got a map - also hired a yacht for a day to take us around and tickets to the hypigium

sees you laters