We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day in Gozo - where must we go?

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
427 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
A day in Gozo - where must we go?

Hi if we only have one day to visit Gozo where do you recommend we go. We like markets, picturesque harbours and villages.

Not sure if we are visiting by bus or car at this stage but it will be during the last 2 weeks of June. Thank you.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,977 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A day in Gozo - where must we go?

Lots of lovely places to visit in Gozo.

1) Xlendi ---- little seaside village with nice bay and plenty of cafes and restaurants.

2) Victoria ---- the capital. Atmospheric market square , Cathederal and Citadel'

3) Gharb ---- delightfull village with interesting church and folk museum.

4) Ta `Pinu church --- just outside Gharb.

5) Marsalforn ----- another seaside tow the other side of the island,

Just a few suggestions but if you do have a motor car I suggest you just turn off the main roads and just meander around the countryside ,

You will be surprised what you might find.

Enjoy it.

Graham

london
Level Contributor
47 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A day in Gozo - where must we go?

There is a small market in Victoria in the morning, Ta Pinu church is amazing, it is a shrine with letters from people all over the world asking for help.

Ramla beach is the sandy beach but seeing as you are coming over from Malta there is not much point going there.

The inland sea at Dwerja is brilliant - you get a little boat out through the rock and back through the caves, thats fun. You can visit Gharb and the craft village on the way - having a drink at the Kempinski hotel is a nice thing to do there as well.

We made the the Citadel in Victoria last year and it was facinating not to mention the views were spectacular. Xlendi is prettier than Marsalforn - the main harbour where the ferry comes in has some very good restaurants.

Sydney
Level Contributor
563 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A day in Gozo - where must we go?

Hi

We only had 1 day in Gozo, so once we arrived (we had a car) we headed straight to Victoria to the Citadel. We went into the Gozo Cathedral, Museum of Arcaeology, Folkore Museum, Old Prison, Cathedral Museum, and walked around the Citadel.

From here, we drove to Gharb and stopped in at the crafts village where we purchased some leather bags and some beautiful glass from Gozo Glass Factory.

Next we drove to Dwejra and found the Inland Sea. There is a small cafe where you can get a snack/meal. We sat here and had a great hamburger as we waited to see if the boats would be operating again to take us out to see the Blue Grotto (due to the tides). But after lunch, they started again, so for 3.50 euro's each, we went through the cave and out to see the Blue Grotto and Azure Window. The trip takes no longer than 15 minutes in total (there and back) and it was really a worthwhile trip to do. You get to see the red coral and of course, the most amazing colour blue you will ever see.

From here we went back to Gharb to see the beautiful church - Ta Pinu. It is one of the few churches that we had seen so far in Malta that you can actually go right up to the alter. This is a beautiful church and is huge - you won't be able to miss it as you drive along.

Our next stop was the Ggantija Temples and then drove south through Xewkija and saw the huge church (which is apparently bigger than the Mosta Dome). The church was closed so we didn't get to go in unfortunately to be able to compare between the two!

I think we next stopped at Qala for a quick snack of pastizzi before we made our way back to Mgarr for the ferry back to Malta.

We really didn't have any set plans of what to see in Gozo, so we just drove and let the roads take us to all the beautiful places!

I hope you enjoy Gozo, I certainly did. And I know next time I go back to Malta, I will actually stay a few nights in Gozo.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,684 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A day in Gozo - where must we go?

Barina's tour is the best you can manage in a day IMO !

Maybe you could try to visit Ir Ramla Il Hamra , a nice bay with red sand , if time permits !!!

Dahlet Qorrot is another spot you could try visiting if time permits ???

Welcome to Malta and Gozo

Malta
Level Contributor
402 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A day in Gozo - where must we go?

If you do not have a car then you can use the Hop On Hop Off bush which will leave from the ferry terminal and take you back there too. That visits all the main places worth visiting.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: A day in Gozo - where must we go?

Agree with 643, Barina's tour sounds good, but you couldn't do it with the HopOnHopOff because of time and route. We don't yet know what the new bus schedule will be for Gozo, but it's unlikely to help you much and will probably not have circular routes. Car would be best. Even bookable whole day tours don't cover as much as Barina did! And with a car you can also stay longer in to the evening if you want for a meal or a festa.

There are festas in Gozo in June - 19, Fontana; 22, Ta Pinu; 26, Xewkija; 29, Nadur.

London
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A day in Gozo - where must we go?

HI, was going to post this as first part of my next trip report, but here seems as appropriate as any..

I arrived at Cirkewwa, at about 9am last Monday, very impressed at the new temporary terminus building which wasn’t there 4 weeks ago. I jumped the rather long queue of tourists trying to buy tickets as I knew I could still buy on the return leg. The morning ferry was very busy, packed with noisy Germans (overdressed as usual). The equally packed 25 bus whisked me to Rabat, from where I headed west on foot. Greeted by a nice statue of Pope John Paul II I walked in the direction of San Lawrenz. I passed the old aqueduct, then the windmill to the left, with the church at Ghasri to my right and the town of Zebbug perched high on the ridge way further in the distance. The walk was pleasing indeed and well away from other tourists, who were however passing me in a steady stream of minibuses. As Gharb approached I had the impressive sight of Ta Pinu, Church of Miracles, again to the right. A left turn at the fork and I was bound for San Lawrenz, the road turning into little more than a dusty track, with my ultimate goal Dwejra ahead of me. Another left fork at the parish church, being impressively restored, and it was downhill all the way on a newly reconstructed road. At the bottom were the minibus occupants, but not too many. The Azure window was stunning in the midday sunshine, great for photos; the inland sea was curious and somewhat spoilt by the scruffy shanty town of ugly buildings surrounding it. The coastline to the cliffs past Fungus Rock was also stunning especially from the top of the little Qwara Tower, which is free to enter. I rewarded my walking efforts with a nice refreshing pint of Cisk at the little café shack down there. The walk back was to be cross country, starting with a right turn just before the crafts centre outside of Gharb. There were no tourist minibuses using this dusty track way. I eventually looped around two hills; the second one was past a very impressive limestone block quarry and then high up to the left the Neolithic cave dwellings. I eventually reached civilisation at the pretty and prettily named little village of Santa Lucija. I pressed onwards into Kercem. Here I made a detour to investigate the Tal Lunzjata valley where there was a painting school in the spooky little entrance leading down to a small chapel. It was then back up into Kercem and onward through Fontana and back to Rabat bus terminus. After gaining the last seat on the 25 bus, doing a very good impression of a sauna as usual, I was soon in the little bar at Mgarr, with no intensions of getting on a ferry until several cans of Cody Lager had been drunk to clean my dusty palate. I eventually and somewhat reluctantly, boarded a ferry and my glorious day in Gozo was at an end, but only until next time.

Cheers

Ntd

Qala, Malta
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: A day in Gozo - where must we go?

I suggest a booked tour. There are custom built tours available but the general jeepsafari tour or quadbike tour of for instance Gozo Pride Tours takes you to the most beautiful places in Gozo. This is ideal if you want a taste of the real Gozo and avoid fellow tourists that arrive in masses in the morning for the busses.

Busses in Gozo are not frequent and don't visit the places that are most interesting.

Hopefully you will enjoy your stay on our beautiful islands

uk
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: A day in Gozo - where must we go?

i would suggest the red hop on and off buses they take you to alll the tourist places and you can have time to stop at your own pace they pick uo from the harbour and drop you back there the price is 15 euros.

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: A day in Gozo - where must we go?

good report as always Ntd, thanks for sharing it with us mate, when are you going to be in Malta again ?.

Get answers to your questions about Island of Gozo
Recent Conversations