We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hop on - off bus tours

Ireland
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Topic
hop on - off bus tours

has anyone done the Gozo hop on/off bus tour, i was wondering if u jump off, how long a wait till the next bus comes?, is it better to hire a bike as its a small island and do it yourself?, any thoughts/suggestions welcome, thanks.

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
595 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hop on - off bus tours

These Malta sightseeing hop on hop on hop of buses, have gone from strength to strength, and are an ideal way of seeing the Islands. Click on my picture and go into forums See --- Gozo tour July 30 2011 for more information. How long will you have to wait? See----- Malta sightseeing Gozo timetables, have a wonderful holiday. KNOWKATS.

saskatchewan
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hop on - off bus tours

Hi,

I just came back from the Island of Gozo and took the hop on hop off tour. I was told not to book anything before going to Gozo by our landlord. Somehow I forgot this advise when I was offered this tour for ten euro instead of fifteen at the ferry dock. After this purchase, I heard you can get them for five.

For us, the hop on hop on was very frustrating. We spent a good amount of our day waiting and sometimes the bus was so full we never did hear the five minute (at best) intro that sounded like a woman reading from a guidebook. One place we stopped a couple came in with a taxi saw what they needed to see and left. We saw what we wanted and waited some more. At the temple we need more time, but this set us up for more waiting. The buses do not go to everywhere on Gozo. There is no-one to answer any questions, and when five or five thirty comes they are done. If the weather is questionable at all the top of the bus can be cold and wet and is by nature windy. I saw a very frustrated family get off at the bus at the ferry after waiting on the bus and finally realizing they were not going to finish the trip the way they planned. Others frustrated travellers followed them. We ended up taking a taxi home as it was our last night and all that waiting cost money too when you think of the total cost of the trip.

I think the question is this. What is it worth to you? Are you willing to spend a whole day of a treasured holiday on a mediocre tour. Could a few more dollars provide a quality experience on your own terms? The least expensive is a guide book and the Arriva bus line that is punctual and cost 2.60 euro for the whole day. But there are other alternatives

Thank goodness we decided to stay for a couple of days on this incredible island with its very fine people. We easily hiked some of the most amazing terrain I have ever seen.

Good luck with your decision making. For some this may be a great alternative - for us free would be too much. I humbly apologize for the tiny bit of venting, but it was a miracle that I got to go to Gozo and returning will probably never happen.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hop on - off bus tours

It depends on what you want to see and how disciplined you are at time keeping !

Certainly the green "Gozo Sightseeing" tour is well worth doing as it covers the majority of the island every 45 minutes (the timetable for the red City Sightseeing Gozo tour is not quite so comprehensive so takes a bit more planning).

On Malta, both company's North HoHo tours run every 30 minutes which should be frequent enough for most people. However, the South tours on Malta only runs once per hour and so do get very full at times.

In my opinion, the tours are a good way of getting your bearings if you are new to the Island, but expect have to go back to visit some of the places on another day.

Phil-the-Bus

Ireland
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: hop on - off bus tours

thanks to everyone for their experiences and suggestions, although i'm still unsure, will play it by ear, but thanks again , appreciated.

5. Re: hop on - off bus tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 00:18
Get answers to your questions about Island of Gozo
Recent Conversations