We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gozo or Malta?

London, UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Gozo or Malta?

My husband and I will be visiting Malta for the first time in September. We are keen to do some scuba diving and our holiday preference is for something a little quieter. It seems that Gozo would be a better option than Malta for both, but I'm not too sure.

Any thoughts on which offers better diving or will the dive boats basically end up going to the same sites? We want to hire a small apartment or villa, but there isn't a huge choice on Gozo.

We will have a hire car, so could get over to Malta quite easily (I think) on the ferry for a day trip. Would that be enough to see the island or are we better basing ourselves in Malta and visiting Gozo?

I'd appreciate any views. Thanks

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
10,622 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gozo or Malta?

There is a lot more to see in Malta than on Gozo but both are so different that it comes to personal choice .

You could always spend some time on each.

I am sure that somebody with more knowledge of diving will come on and give you more information on that subject.

Sure you will enjoy Malta,

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
4,903 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gozo or Malta?

Gozo is more scenic on the whole - many holiday here for a week & fall in love with the place. A day trip to Malta is possible but it will be limited. If it does not unsettle you, you could do a two centre break.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gozo or Malta?

Gozo is quiet and there are good dive sites around both Malta and Gozo. Most of the sites around both islands are shore dives though so don't expect much boat diving. The entries and exits can be challenging as well. That's not to say there are no boat dives but if that's what you are looking for check with your chosen dive centre first. It's worth checking prices as well. There's's more competition on Malta which might be reflected in the prices.

One day won't be enough to see everything there is to see on Malta so you'll need to select your siteseeing carefully if you choose to stay on Gozo. It's easier to see more of Gozo in one day and some of the sites on Gozo co-incide with diving anyway (e.g. the Azure Window/inland Sea).

if you choose to stay on Gozo be aware it is very tranquil. There's no throbbing night life.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
3,039 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gozo or Malta?

Diving is good on both islands and all the major resorts will have a choice of diving operators many of whom will collect you from your hotel. I learned to dive with Divewise in St Julian's and following my certification they took me on a day trip to Gozo to dive at the Inland Sea and Azure window which is an experience I highly recommend. I suggest you take a look at the FAQ's on the right hand side of this page and look at the information about the resorts on both islands and when you have an idea of where you would like to stay we can perhaps help with your accommodation choices. Since you will probably spend a big chunk of your holiday underwater I would select to stay on one island with a day trip to the other because of your time constraints. Also once you have picked a resort the divers on this forum should be able to recommend some dive operators in the area.

Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gozo or Malta?

For accomodation have a look at holiday letting a or visit Gozo.com

6. Re: Gozo or Malta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Island of Gozo
Recent Conversations
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now