We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Maria Festival

Ramsey, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Santa Maria Festival

We are thinking if booking a villa in Gozo for August 2015. It will be a party of two adults, four teenagers and a 12 year old.

I have just found the dates we can go will coincide with the Santa Maria festival with the bank holiday being the middle weekend. I read on a blog somewhere that the Maltese have that fortnight as their weeks off so many places are closed and the beaches in Gozo get very busy.

The blog also said that a lot of Maltese take their boats out and the sea gets full of oil and diesel and that the ferries and public transport get very busy and queues are long.

We are now thinking it may not be the best place to go as we like our holidays fairly quiet although we would enjoy the festival.

Also do places put up their prices over the festival fortnight?

Thanks

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
4,854 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Maria Festival

It's peak season & Gozo gets very busy indeed but not such that it is not enjoyable. With a villa I'm guessing you would have a pool. Prices of course are at their peak too. It's just like going on holiday in August in the UK........................

Dorset, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Maria Festival

We have just returned from 2 weeks in Gozo, coinciding with the Santa Maria festival. The island is beautiful and the people extremely friendly. We had a fabulous time and didnot encounter any of the issues raised. Yes it is a busy time,but the festival is a spectacle to enjoy, with music, fireworks and wonderful street decorations. The beaches were no busier than other Mediterranean destinations and the sea crysal clear. My only comment about the boats is ...spend an evening at the harbour and enjoy the spectacle of wealthalong with the Gozoans! A trip to the blue lagoon a must, if you would like to swim with fish in mainly shallow water. We (2 adults and a 16 yr old) stayed in Xagrha a lovely village with a bustling square and great restaurants. We only needed to book once, on the night of the weekly history re-enactment. All I can say is we are already planning our return

Edited: 18 August 2014, 17:47
3. Re: Santa Maria Festival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Island of Gozo
Recent Conversations