We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car Hire on Gozo

Which Xaghra hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Webridge, Surrey
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
car Hire on Gozo

I am going to Gozo with my family at Whitsun (end of MAy) and have a car hire dilemma. Are we better to get a transfer from the airport and hire a car on Gozo or hire a car all the way from teh airport? Also could we get away without haveing a car for the whole week? We are staying in Xhagra

Louise, Surrey

uk
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: car Hire on Gozo

depends where in xhagra as this is one of the largest villages on gozo and it spreads out quite a bit. to get the best of gozo i would recommend car hire , if you look at gozo.com marios car rental of xhagra good company and very reiliable. give them a ring and they will collect you from the airport and have the car delivered to where you are staying.

Webridge, Surrey
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car Hire on Gozo

that's a great help thank you, will call Mario and go from there. I'm not sure where the villa is that we are staying!

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car Hire on Gozo

I would not recommend staying in Xhagra for a week without a car. You need a car really to get to the other villages and the beaches, although my son and girlfriend did walk to Victoria from there once. The bus service in Xhagra is not great.

Webridge, Surrey
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car Hire on Gozo

OK, thanks for your answer. We were considering not having a car the entire time, maybe 5 instead of 7 days but maybe we'll go the whole week - thanks!

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car Hire on Gozo

Yes I suppose you could get away with not having one for a couple of days. You could spend at least one day wandering around Xaghra, visiting the temples and the caves etc.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car Hire on Gozo

Don't forget that quite often the daily rate goes down the longer you have the car so may find that you would get 7 days for the price of 6 for example.

Obviously depends who you book with but my car this year is working out 4 weeks for the price of 3.

Just a thought.

Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car Hire on Gozo

Hello.

Yes, I know almost everyone on this forum will recommend a rented car for staying anywhere on Gozo. But we have stayed on Gozo more than 20 times without a car ! Last October we stayed at Cornucopia in Xaghra without a car, and really enjoyed it. Walked several times to Victoria ( 2km), walked to the statue of Christ, walked to Marsalforn, walked to Ramla Bay and .... I can continue endless.

The only times we felt in need for a car, we used Mario or his wife Pauline to bring us to i.e. Ta Cenc/Sannat or pick us up late in the evening.We will be staying again this year in Xaghra - without a car! But - if you decide to rent a car - Mario is a very good choice !! They both are wonderful people, clean cars and very reliable, and they live and have their company in Xaghra.And Mario has cars on Malta as well, and if I remember correctly, Mario charge you for 10 Maltese Lira(I don`t know in Euro)from Luca airport to the ferry.So you don`t have to go by taxi all the way to Xaghra, but can arrange to pick up your rented car from Mario coming ashore in Mgarr on Gozo.

But - I would like to say to everyone visiting Gozo you miss a lot by driving around the island instead of using the countryside and all the small roads and paths !

Have a nice stay.

Grethe

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car Hire on Gozo

That is great information. The beauty of walking around Gozo is that the traffic is light and it gives you much more time to take in the lovely scenery and atmosphere. The only drawbacks is that it is a lot of uphill and downhill and, for people from temperate climates, it can be hardgoing walking in the heat of the summer.

But certainly it is possible to walk to Victoria, Marsalforn, Nadur, and probably Xwekija, from Xhagra if you are fit enough.

St. Paul's Bay...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo
Level Contributor
291 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car Hire on Gozo

I recommended Mayjo car hire - www.mayjo.com.mt

They offer the best value for money

Webridge, Surrey
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car Hire on Gozo

Thank you to all of you who have responded to my question - Scubapro, Grethe, Irishrover and Idanwcd - your comments are truly useful thank you. I'll let you know how we get on! I'd like to walk but not sure I can persuade the rest of the family...

Louise

Get answers to your questions about Xaghra
Recent Conversations