We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drinking water

Torquay, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Drinking water

Hi all, A quick question re: drinking water. Is the tap water safe to drink on Gozo or will we need to rely on bottled water? Having spent many holidays in Greece we are used to drinking bottled but it would be nice to be able to drink water straight from the tap for a change.

Thanks in anticipation.

Tony H

Level Contributor
682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Drinking water

The regulations for Malta and Gozo ensure only that the kitchen tap dispenses mains cold water, all other taps are fed by means of the water tank usually positioned on the roof - I would certainly not drink tap water on a regular basis unless boiled - I don't have any problem with my coffee and tea using mains boiled water.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Drinking water

Have been going for years and have always drank the tap water with no ill effects.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
10,553 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Drinking water

I also use tap water when added to orange squash .

Bugibba, Malta
Level Contributor
745 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Drinking water

I agree with Shembo on the tap water question. Apart from boiling it for tea, coffee or cooking I wouldn't consider drinking it. To say Maltese drinking water has an unusual taste is being extremely kind. In fact the minerals in the water gives it an unpleasant taste. I cannot understand how holidaymakers, accustomed to the drinking water in the UK and other parts of Europe, can possibly acquire a taste for the water here during their short holiday visit. Why even bother when bottled water is safe and very cheap. Better be safe than sorry.

Stamford, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Drinking water

Drinking water is OK but tastes salty if I remember, so you may prefer bottled. It's certainly ok for tea and coffee.

16. Re: Drinking water

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2015, 21:15
Get answers to your questions about Xaghra
Recent Conversations