We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

air conditioning how important is it?

Portrush, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
air conditioning how important is it?

Hi,

we have just booked flights to malta and a week so far in Gozo, we have rented a villa, which looks fairly old stone place, my niece who has stayed there assures me you don't need air con the villas are designed to be cool, can anyone confirm if this is correct, we are going in august, bearing in mind really hot day in Ireland is mid 60's, we are also going to book a week in malta, just asking the question before I book another week with no air con,

thank you

28 replies to this topic
Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: air conditioning how important is it?

I agree with Xaghradream. Lots of things combine to make a place hot. If your staying in an older place it would have been built to stay cool during the summer before air con was invented so it may well have small apertures and thick walls. If it's in a village it may well be in a narrow street. It may also have shutters - keep them shut during the day when you're out to stop the sun baking the place. The fans will help if they are powerful enough. Try not to worry too much before you get there.

Island of Gozo...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: air conditioning how important is it?

the old, authentic farmhouses in Malta and Gozo are built in such a way that they are quite insulated: they have very thick walls which will keep indoors quite cool in the summer period if you take care to close any doors and windows in peak hours!

Portrush, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: air conditioning how important is it?

thank you all im starting to relax, the villa is in xagrha. dar ..something portos, it looks all thick stone walls, and my niece stayed there last year and said it will be grand, though her hubby is maltese and they spend a lot of time there so used to the heat, a hot hot summer day for us in the tip of the north of Ireland is mid 20;s so not used to heat at all. but ive taken no chances and the 2 places I have booked on Malta have air con,

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: air conditioning how important is it?

Shazza. You are staying in Malta and Gozo for two weeks but in three places! Probably a little late now as you have booked your accomodation in Malta but as Malta is such a small island I would never consider staying in two places and packing my belongings to move yet again. We are all different and you will have your reasons. Hope you have a great holiday on Malta and Gozo/

Portrush, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: air conditioning how important is it?

I know so I believe, but we wanted a week on Gozo and a week in Malta, the accommodation we chose in mellieha was only available for 4 days so we thought we would spend the 1st 3 nights round Valletta, we are staying near portomaso marina, I understand that's not far from st Julians, that will give out children a taste of busy bars Malta, then we will head to the quieter side of things ;

-)

Edited: 05 May 2014, 19:52
South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: air conditioning how important is it?

Your children, and you, wiill certainly notice a difference in the three locations. What a pity it was not the other way round with Mellieha being so close to the Gozo ferry but you have to take what is available. However, your children I'm sure, especially if they are younger, will enjoy the beach at Mellieha - best on the island. Hope you have a superb holiday, that all your accommodation is good and it is not too hot for you.

Portrush, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: air conditioning how important is it?

thank you lovewrmerclimnes, cant wait now,

Ill now spend the next 3 months researching where to go and where to eat etc, I love that part of a holiday

Level Contributor
111 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: air conditioning how important is it?

We spent 10 days in an old farmhouse at the beginning of September last year, a time when it is really humid. However we only used the aircon in our room for the first couple of nights, and found it more comfortable (and quieter!) with just the ceiling fan on for the remainder of our stay. We opened the windows but kept the shutters closed, and the curtains close, ditto the door to our terrace, and the room remained a very comfortable temp. One night it was so humid when we got back from a meal out that a few of us dived into the pool to cool down, but the room was still cool enough to sleep comfortably without aircon.

New Ross, Ireland
Level Contributor
144 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: air conditioning how important is it?

I just came back from Malta yesterday . Weather is getting hot . I think start from June air conditioned is important . If u are going to malta in August I will say air conditioned is very essential.

Portrush, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: air conditioning how important is it?

Thanks, hopefully it will be a pleasant 30 max a temp we Irish can just about handle :-)

Reply to: air conditioning how important is it?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Xaghra
Recent Conversations