We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malta in April - Things to do?

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
5 reviews
Malta in April - Things to do?

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice. I am looking to arrange a surprise birthday at the end of April for my other half.

I am wondering if 5 days is a good amount of time in April for Malta? We are hoping it will be warm enough to relax outside, such as go on walks, explore the surroundings, try nice wine and food.

We like walking, seeing some sights, food and wine. But we would also like the mix of sitting down and relaxing.

What are prices for eating out, going to bars, etc like.

Any other advice on things to do would be great.

Thank you.

23 replies to this topic
Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
12,645 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Malta in April - Things to do?

April is a nice time to visit Malta .

The weather is becoming very pleasant and the countryside should be green with plenty of wild flowers

Is 5 days enough ?

Longer would be better as there really is a lot to see and do in Malta . Thousands of years of history make this island rich in culture .

Spend at least one full day in Valletta and another half in Mdina .

Possibly a 90 minute harbour cruise from Sliema .

Have a look at the Q & A at the right of this page for more ideas .

If you haven`t booked a hotel yet I would suggest you consider Sliema .

Plenty of decent restaurants , bars and shops .

Easy access to Valletta ---- 15 minutes by bus.

Pop to your library / bookshop and borrow , buy or steal a guidebook to Malta and have a good read.

Enjoy your stay

Graham

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Malta in April - Things to do?

Graham, thank you very much!

Unfortunately 5 days is our limit. We are looking at a late night flight on Day -1 and have a late evening return flight on the last day, which means when we arrive we nearly 5 whole days, not 3 and a half because of travel.

Anyway, really like your suggestions.

I have noticed there are lots of places to stay - but am I right in saying that the transport on the island is good, and because the island is small everywhere is accessible by short taxi or bus ride?

We like walking, so will plan on doing lots of that whilst we are there.

What are prices for meals/drinks, etc like? We will not be all inclusive, because we will like to try new things.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
5,847 posts
155 reviews
3. Re: Malta in April - Things to do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn6SyiZD3cM

This video gives a pretty good feel.

Prices are similar to the UK, perhaps a bit cheaper if you hunt around.

Snacks, beer and wine can be great value if you hunt out the right places.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
12,645 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: Malta in April - Things to do?

Buses are an excellent way to travel about and is quite cheap.

You can buy a 12 ride ( 2 hour per journey ) bus ticket for 15 euros and this can be shared between the two of you ---- 6 rides each.

Eating out can be reasonable especially if you watch where the locals eat.

Snacks can be very cheap --- pastizzi , bought from " hole in the wall " shops are small flaky pastries full of ricotta cheese or peas , cost about 30 or 40 cents each and a couple make a good snack lunch.

Keep away from expensive hotel restaurants . look around and you can eat reasonably.

Graham

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
12,645 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Malta in April - Things to do?

Xaghra ----

That was a nice video ---- certainly gives an essence of the island --very atmospheric.

Graham

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
911 posts
98 reviews
6. Re: Malta in April - Things to do?

For a number of years we have visited Malta at the end of April. It's ideal for us, as we like to be out and about, and do some decent walks in the countryside. The weather is generally warm without being too hot.

When you've settled on your dates and location, check out any special events which are taking place. The end of April usually coincides with the international fireworks festival, for instance.

Five days will give you a taste of Malta - you may find yourself wanting to come again (and again and again!)

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Malta in April - Things to do?

That video is very good.....not a crane or traffic jam in sight.

This is a better video, lots and lots of useful stuff, but it takes a bit of keeping up with the speed the bloke talks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzUan1PmJcc

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Malta in April - Things to do?

Such great replies. Really helping me decide!

From what I can gather, public transport is cheap and plentiful? There will be no need to hire a car?

We will just want a mix of relaxing, going on nice walks amongst the cultured streets, finding a bar to have a quick drink in etc. But we will also visit the silent city, the island north of Malta etc... all of which I think is accessible easily?

Looking to go end of April, can anyone recommend good hotels? Something relaxing, with breakfast included would be nice.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
12,645 posts
28 reviews
9. Re: Malta in April - Things to do?

Lot depends upon your budget.

have a look at Park Hotel in Sliema .

Well located , plenty od eating / drinking places nearby . Buses pretty well outside.

be careful and check reports on Trip Advisor before booking as there are some poor hotels .

Graham

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Malta in April - Things to do?

Have a look on the Chevron Holidays website for a good cross-section...

https://www.chevron.co.uk/…

Mercury Holidays are also popular.

Buses on popular routes fill very quickly, and standing ain't much fun. So if you are relying on public buses to get around, then you need to base yourself close to a terminus. Another thing to be aware of is noise from local bars and construction sites......a construction site can appear very quickly.

Choose a few possible hotels, and ask for some opinions on the forum.

Reply to: Malta in April - Things to do?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta