We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Malta for the first time,where to stay?

Stockholm
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling to Malta for the first time,where to stay?

Hello everyone. I am travelling to Malta from Stockholm for one week, on my own and I would like to know your opinions on where to stay as I am finding it very difficult to decide. I hope you can help me!

Thanks a lot!

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Hotel Valentina
Hotel Valentina
#1 of 33 hotels in Saint Julian's
Hotel Juliani
Hotel Juliani
#2 of 33 hotels in Saint Julian's
Hilton Malta
Hilton Malta
#3 of 33 hotels in Saint Julian's
Stockholm
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Malta for the first time,where to stay?

I am looking for somewhere where I can relax, preferably next to the beach and also with swimming pool, close enough to the comercial centre so i can walk there in the night time.

I am 29 y/o gilr and I will be travelling alone, but I would not like somewhitn noisy or crowded.

Not too posh but clean and with facilities to relax (spa, etc, optional)

Thanks a lot!

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Malta for the first time,where to stay?

Most of the sandy beaches are in the north of the island and usually quite remote. You wouldn't be able to walk to restaurants, bars, clubs, shops etc. You would have to take a bus or hire a car. There is a small sandy beach at St. George's Bay in St. Julians, other than that it is rocks or the hotel pool.

For what you seem to want I would recommend the St. Julians/Sliema area as you are right by the sea and within walking distance of all amenities. You are also on a bus route into Valletta and not too far from Paceville, where all the clubs - nightlife - are. Look at some of the following hotels:

Hotel Juliani

Hotel Le Meridien (St Julians)

Radisson Bay Point

Corinthia San Gorg

Corinthia Marina

Westin Dragonara

Hilton

Preluna

Hope this helps. I'm sure others can come up with more hotels too

Mentioned in this post
St. George's Bay
St. George's Bay
1,160 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Saint Julian's
Saint Julian's
Island of Malta, Malta
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Paceville
Paceville
2,225 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Hotel Juliani
Hotel Juliani
1,478 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Le Meridien St. Julians
Le Meridien St. Julians
2,848 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta
The Westin Dragonara...
3,639 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Hilton Malta
Hilton Malta
5,147 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Stockholm
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Malta for the first time,where to stay?

thank you so much! I'll check the hotels right now!

Surrey
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Malta for the first time,where to stay?

If you want a relaxing stay, the best area is the North, Mellieha or Marfa. There are good hotels and some with good spas I've heard. The beaches are all in the North, just a bus ride away. I don't think that you prefer to stay in a commercial area all your stay. There is always time for that!!!. It' s very close to Gozo & comino. For beaches there is Mellieha Bay, sometimes quite crowded, Paradise Bay, Hola Beach, with palm trees and not that busy. Check out these hotels:

Riviera Resort & Spa

Ramla Bay Hotel

Paradise Bay

Seabank hotel

Mentioned in this post
Mellieha
Mellieha
Island of Malta, Malta
Mellieha Bay Hotel
Mellieha Bay Hotel
2,326 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Paradise Bay
Paradise Bay
1,078 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Ramla Bay Resort
Ramla Bay Resort
2,200 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Stockholm
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Malta for the first time,where to stay?

Hey, I've found a hotel called Riu Seabank Hotel, do you think it's good?

It looks pretty good and it has it's private beach and swimming pools too. It's not close to any big commercial areas, but as you say, there is always time for that!

Thanks for the tips!

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Malta for the first time,where to stay?

You're not going to walk to many places at the Riu. The North of the island is great... if you want seclusion.

Okay these places are a bus ride away but it's hardly what I would call convenient.

Your best bet for the requirements you have is still St Julians/Sliema area. It's closer to any commercial areas and gives you far more accessibility to the rest of the island.

Mentioned in this post
Saint Julian's
Saint Julian's
Island of Malta, Malta
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
London
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to Malta for the first time,where to stay?

Hi,

I am a 29 yr old male from London. Not sure yet, I might travel alone or with a friend. I will be visiting Malta for a week in July and I am actually in the same boat as Powerpuffgelly in terms of deciding on the best accommodation in terms of comfort (nothing too posh, close to beach with a private pool and walking distance to the bars, clubs, and restaurants etc, relatively quiet. I am looking for a relaxing vacation during the day sight seeing, etc and enjoy the night life at night.

Please can some one advise on hotels or Bed and breakfast in the St Julians/Sliema area.

Thanks a lot.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Saint Julian's
Saint Julian's
Island of Malta, Malta
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to Malta for the first time,where to stay?

to charminggent77... your best bet would be the corinthia marina hotel in st georges bay... it is 2 mins walk from a small beach it has a good pool and rocky area right on the waters edge, it is a stones throw from paceville but not actually in it to worry about noise at night. there are a few bars and restaurants which are good just outside the hotel and its sister hotel the corinthia san gorg is next door and you can use the facilities there. the price ranges from about 400 to 600 for a week for 2 depending on web sites. if you want cheaper the facilities will suffer greatly. you must walk to spinola bay for the truely good restaurants though but its only a 10 min walk and there is plenty of bars on the way down so enjoy yourself..

9. Re: Traveling to Malta for the first time,where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 20:17