We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location location?

Leatherhead, United...
Level Contributor
186 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Location location?

I too would really welcome advice on where best to spend 5 days over Easter period in Malta.

-Easy access to public transport for day trips round the Island - would really prefer not to hire a car.

- Possibility of reasonable hotel/airport transfers

-Comfortable hotel with good food

-also eating places etc within walking distance.

Hope there is a local expert who can give me a few ideas.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location location?

Anywhere along the st julians/sliema promenade as you have easy access to public transport, not far from airport - about 18 euros by taxi, lots of eating places all within walking distance. Try

Le Meridien, St Julians

Hotel Juliani

Preluna Hotel

Lots going on over Easter, try and go and see a Good Friday procession - Mosta or Rabat, even Valletta I think.

Visit any church over Maundy Thursday evening and Good Friday. Side chapels decorated and set up for private prayer. Those churches that have good friday processions will have all the large way of the cross statues on display.

A lot of places display the last supper all set out and/or minature way of the cross statues. There will be signs for these everywhere.

Oh and you must taste figolli - all bakeries will have them, the Maltese traditionally give these as gifts instead of or alongside, Easter Eggs.

Enjoy, I want to go too now!

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location location?

ditto the above suggestions. Must go to Mdina as well. Valletta is also another option though nightlife maybe a bit quieter there (Osborne Hotel?)- the best about Valletta is lot to see eg The Grand masters Palace & Armoury, War Museums all in Valletta & the buses that go all over Malta originate just outside the gates of Valletta. But my choice would still be Sliema or St Julians along the promenade (mediterranean side) mainly cos of easy access to restuarants & nightlife. A lot depends on what you mainly want to see & do. Ps if you want to visit the Hypogyceum? you need to book in advance as they only take limited numbers - www.heritagemalta.com (I think thats the website)

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,113 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location location?

laughing here .. we have just had this discussion among ourselves a few threads back .. sliema/st julians is the default answer given to pretty much anyone who asks where to stay .. and its great if you seek wild nights and drunken englishmen and -women . (sliema is quieter than st. julians and has by far the nicer view)

personally, you guessed it .. i am old and stuffy :) and prefer peace and quiet and taverns and restaurants that are frequented more by locals than tourists.

i recommend the phoenica hotel in valletta . it is located 1.5 minutes from the central busterminal and right outside the city gates of valletta. from here , buses go in all directions and you won't have to come to valletta first to connect, saving quite a bit of time on each trip. the hotel food is very good and even better restaurants are in a few minutes' walking distance in valletta .. also lovely taverns where you will be welcome by the locals, as well as cultural events.

however .. in order to get to clubs/raves/discos , party til sunrise places you would indeed have to travel to above mentioned places at night by bus or cab.

just depends what you seek ..

Newcastle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Location location?

Spammie, you and I obviously don't see eye to eye - yes very much depends on what you want. Valletta is fine during the day but it is dead at night. I don't seek discos, nightlife, dancing etc don't enjoy being around all the very young students out on the rave in Paceville but the sliema/st julians promenad with all its restaurants, is lovely for an evening out.

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location location?

twirl... i also dont see eye to eye with spammie. there is not many drunken english as he/she puts it in st julians.

i have found it very relaxing and safe and not at all intimidating.

i mean, come on spammie.. are you telling me that st julians or pacevile is full of drunken english? please...... malta is the one place that the hoards of young english who taint our great nations name do not go to....

i agree with twirl 100% about the st julians/sliema area being fantastic and this doesnt mean i would not like any other area such as quara or buggiba, its just my opinion on my expierience.

i laugh (or laughing here as they put it) that its the default answer to many questions on where to visit is st julians or sliema but maybe most people who actually visit this area actually enjoy it

Newcastle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Location location?

it's usually the students that come over to learn english, very young and not english but scandinavian, spanish, italian etc. No supervision and they go wild.

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Location location?

i agree wih you there but that said, even all these youngsters still dont make you feel intimidated. i dont think they are tooled up like they are on most street corners in the uk demanding( and i am laughing here....) respect as they so desperatley want but dont want to do anything to earn it.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,113 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Location location?

like i said .. i am sure a lot of people like it and it really depends on what one is looking for . i am 40ish and like it quiet . thats just my preference .

as for valletta being "dead" at night .. i guess my criterium is not people yelling in the streets and staggering from bar to bar . give me a good restaurant for dinner and a friendly tavern for a drink and a chat afterwards, all within 10 mins walk from a lovely hotel and i am perfectly content.

what does bug me, however , is that 'go to sliema/st. julian's !!!' is the only answer given whenever anyone asks where in malta they should go , regardless of preferences. there are so many nice places .. why herd everyone in the same catch-all location ? they can get that from any travel agent .. seems to me that a forum can provide alternatives .

this particular forum member is asking specifically for good public transport .. so to me it makes sense to recommend a place where he doesn't have to spend an extra 30 mins or more each way to go to valletta and make a bus connection .

and in my defense .. i did actually suggest st julians a couple of threads before , to someone very young who expressed an interest in going out a lot and funny enough , they stated that they had heard enough bad things about the area to look elsewhere :)

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Location location?

we to like a good meal and a drink in a local tavern, believe me we really do as we see this as the true malta, but you can get this in st julians.

when people ask about where to go in malta as a beginner, most people say st julians and sliema for one reason only..... they have been there and they enjoyed it...

i also enjoy valletta for the culture and history but if people ask me what to recommend i will only advise on my own expieriences. spammie, we are in our mid thirties so we are not far off what you would enjoy holiday wise as well.

that said, you are spot on in saying that forums are for all topics and opinions that suit all sorts of people so i take all your comments on board as i am sure others wiil also do.

i do agree with the fact that you can travel everwhere on malta from valletta but anywhere on malta is easily available from most resorts as it is so small and the public transport is (old) but excellent.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,113 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Location location?

very fair comment , bob

.. and i agree that the public transportation system is great and fun . but still, most routes lead through valletta as the main hub and it depends how leisurely one wants to approach their sightseeing . if someone plans on ... say one place in the morning and one in the afternoon , losing at least an hour on each trip by first going to valletta for the connection can cut into the itinerary .. but when going to any one place for the day , it probably doesn't matter much .

.. which brings us back to .. whatever works best for any one person :)

Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta