We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North or South?

Tallinn
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
North or South?

Hello! I and my 2 friends are planning a trip to Malta. We're still confused: where it's the best to stay? We have narrowed our options to 2 places: Mellieha in north and Birzebbugia in South. We'd like to get a bit quieter place, so that's why we thought Birzebuggia is a better choice, but we're afraid the beach wouldn't be as good as in Mellieha. And, is the public transport good enough to do sightseeing from Birzebuggia?

Thanks for answers!

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North or South?

Birzebbugia has a good beach even though the Power Station is opposite. However, it is a totally residential area and doesn`t cater for tourists at all. I can`t think of any hotels there in fact. There is public transport on a regular basis to Valletta. Nearby are the towns of Wied il-Ghajn, the 3 cities which are all worth visiting.

Wied il-Ghajn has many restaurants but again does not cater for tourism.

Unfortunately, the South has the industy like Power Station, Free Port , Dry Docks , Port etc while the North has the tourism and all it entails.

Tallinn
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North or South?

Thank you for your answer! It's a big help!

We were planning to rent an apartment in Birzebuggia (found a nice one) and thought it was a good place to stay away from other tourists. But then we got second thoughts when I read about the industrial area there, and that the beach might be a bit polluted. We do want to do a lot of sightseeing, see how Maltese people live, but also spend a day or two in the beach and swim.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North or South?

I don`t think the beach is polluted as LOADS of locals swim there regularly. It`s just that it is not a tourist resort.

It`s the main sandy beach in the South so it is very popular.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North or South?

I don't think it's polluted per se. What does happen is the view of Freeport just takes the eye giving the impression of possible polution.

Near there are some lovely swimming spots out of the view of the port. Delimara, Peters Pool and even Jerma are really nice. In fact we usually have a picnic at Delimara on Santa Marija before all the fesivities start at our end of the island.

The only thing that CAN (doesn't often) spoil it is sometimes the sea seems a little oily but that's from the tuna pens offshore.

Salisbury UK
Level Contributor
432 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North or South?

I prefer the south and have always stayed in the fishing village of Marsaxlokk.

Scuba is right about the swimming at St Peters Pool and off the inlets of Delimara which are uncrowded and have clear water. Birzebbugia has a very nice beach with many facilities close by but as pointed out it does have the contaner port opposite but the water seems ok and is popular with tourists and locals.

Wherever you decide enjoy your stay in Malta.

Milton Keynes
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North or South?

I stayed in Melliha in April (at the Riu Seabank). It's lovely and quiet, but it's *too* lovely and quiet and there's not much to do there (or there wasn't in April). The beach is OK but I would imagine it gets rammed with sunbathers in the summer and it's not very big.

I can't say what the transport is like as we hired a car which I would highly recommend as you get to see so much more and you can find some beautiful quiet beaches that only the locals know about.

Having seen the whole island in a week, if I were going back to Malta, I'd probably stay at Sliema or Marsaxlokk. To give you an idea what I'm like; I'm 38, got a young outlook and love people, but I do like quiet time away (and I mean QUIET) and I'm not keen on crowds.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North or South?

People who live in Malta get misled by distances.

We consider Mellieha (in the North) to be `cut off` but in reality it`s only about 40 min by car away from Valletta (depending on the time and day). However, the buses aren`t that frequent.

In the South, Birzebbugia and Marsaxlokk are in the same bay. It hasn`t been developed turistically and is fine for those people who want a quiet stay (apart from Sundays when people from the South flock to the sandy beach) and to mingle with the locals. It`s about 35 min from Valletta. Again, buses aren`t that frequent.

Just as people from Valletta had summer residences in Sliema and St Julians, people from the South had Marsascala (Wied il-ghajn). The young of the South who do not wish to go to Paceville meet up there. There are also many restaurants and bars.

Before the war people chose to live in Sliema because property was cheap. As prices rose (now it is one of the most expensive places in Malta) they started going to Bugibba instead.

8. Re: North or South?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 01:20
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta