We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi tours

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi tours

My wife and i are going to spend two weeks in Malta in July of this year.

i have read/ heard that some of the local taxi firms do tours of the island.

if this is right, please oculd anyone give me recommendations and the name and contact details of the taxi firm.

Im wondering if see some of the sights in a Taxi is safer than driving, as i've heard that driving in malta is an experience.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi tours

Try Kevintaxis ... just google it

Driving in Malta is a bit of an experience but really isn't a problem. Trying to go round the Eiffel Tower road the wrong way is a problem but Malta is just the uk with rougher roads. Signs are the same, same side of the road, pretty well same rules of the road, same speed cameras and traffic wardens.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi tours

If you don`t fancy driving or using buses there are also hop on buses which leave from Sliema Ferries (and I think Bugibba too).

johnsgarageltd.com also has some good drivers.

I suggest that if you do hire a taxi (it won`t be cheap) make sure you request a driver who is capable of explaining the various sites and is knowledgeable enough.

As long as you avoid rush hours, driving isn`t really that bad

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,048 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi tours

we have had nothing but good experiences with taxis . it will however cost you about as much as a rental car for the day .

in my mind , the benefits of hiring a driver/cab is not that we are afraid to drive , but that its much easier not having to find directions , not having to find our own parking and that you have a driver who knows the area and most importantly , knows the schedule of the tourbusses , etc .. so he can keep you out of the worst tourist congestions by visiting the main sites oposite to tour routes or in different order.

on gozo , we asked a driver to take us trough the backcountry a bit and he showed us some hidden bays and breathtakingly beautiful spots that were accessed by unpaved paths that i would have never dared driving down ..in other words, we wouldn't have had a snowball's chance in hell of seeing these hidden gems in a rental car.

we always had drivers whose company we enjoyed . some spoke broken english , but they were always able to convey little 'insider facts' to us and we spent a lot of time laughing together .. which we will take over cursing maps and streetsigns while desperately lost :)

as far as companies , i cannot be of much help .. we always just told the concierge the evening before what we wanted to see the next day and at what time we would like to get started (we are early risers). the hotelconcierge would make the arrangements . we were never disappointed , so we didn't bother getting more involved in the planning ... it's vacation after all :)

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi tours

thank you to all of you. you have given me some good sound advice.

many thanks

Reggie48

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi tours

I agree that having a local drive you about, you get to see places you wouldn`t otherwise get to. Also you`ll get snippets of info.

Many drivers speak fluent english so I think you should make it a point of requesting one.

The larger companies may be more experienced in providing taxi tours.

On visitmalta.com under transport 2 companies are listed. They should be reliable.

Other good sites are malta-information.com and maltagozo.com

6. Re: Taxi tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta