We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire -unexplained charges!!

droitwich
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
car hire -unexplained charges!!

just got back from malta-hired a car from avis at the airport-a mid range car, 4 door panda size- charge for 1/2 tank of gas on return was 30 euros- a half tank of gas cost me 14 euros- is there a catch or is this overcharging common- opions please

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire -unexplained charges!!

Wow ... did no-one ever explain that you never let the hire company fill it back up?

Alway ..... Always fill it yourself even if it's only from the garage at the airport. No matter where in the world you are renting

Hertz in Basingstoke for example charges £2.75 per litre !!!!

Only time not to is when your agreement is to bring it back empty.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire -unexplained charges!!

When we return a hired car anywhere in Europe we always insist that their Rep checks the fuel and gives us a receipt that it`s full.

We have a GPS and as we approach the airport key in to find the nearest petrol station.

That`s why I don`t like those agencies who tell you to drop off the car somewhere and leave the key in a box. You`re at their mercy.

Southampton, England
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire -unexplained charges!!

When i hired a car at www.raybezzinacarrentals.com. I had to pay £15 euros for the fuel, it was just over half a tank. I was told to bring it back empty, at least that way you know where you stand.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car hire -unexplained charges!!

We hire cars regularly on the continent and all firms have different policies.

Usually they tell you they will charge (at a higher rate if the tank is not full)

Others have just a little petrol in the tank and tell you to fill it up straigt away but you won`t get a refund for any petrol in tank when you return car

Others have petrol stations adjoining their offices and so you can fill up there

There are other options too - basically make VERY sure you know what the conditions are

droitwich
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car hire -unexplained charges!!

thanks for all your comments-however i was told that i would have to pay for 1/2 tank of gas-fair enough-then discovered price of gas- car was dropped off when airport office closed!!!-and to add insult to injury they tried to charge me for an out of hours drop off- when confronted eventually in uk- as no one would talk to me in malta- they said it was for child seat hire!!! which i never had- [take grandkids to watch rugby!!! never]this is leaving nasty taste in mouth

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car hire -unexplained charges!!

A friend had a similar experience in France and when he said that he couldn`t accept that the cost of petrol to fill up the tank was excessively high the reasons given were hilarious.

The ones I remember were -

it takes the car hire firm time to fill the car and time is money

during that time they might lose out on hiring the car

and the usual one - it`s written in the small print

It`s a pity as had you known you could have filled it at the Petrol Station at the Airport. As far as I know they have automatic pumps.

droitwich
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car hire -unexplained charges!!

many thanks-i would have preferred to fill it myself but avis policy is that you pay for 1/2 tank of petrol wether its full or empty on return, as you take it away with a 1/2 tank of gas

got you both ways havent they

8. Re: car hire -unexplained charges!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 03:19
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta