We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Malta to Sicily

Level Contributor
259 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Malta to Sicily

I am planning a week in malta next June and I think I would like to spend a 2nd week in Sicily. I would like to fly into Malta and then at the end of the week take a jet foil or other transportation to Sicily for a week and then take the jet foil back to Malta to fly home from Malta. Does anyone have information on the means of transportation between Malta and Sicily and how long it takes?

Malta
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Malta to Sicily

Islandgirl, take a look at this site http://www.virtuferries.com/

It is the only catamaran connection to Sicily. Trips take 90mins to Pozzallo or 3hrs to Catania. I hope it helps.

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Malta to Sicily

I agree that VirtuFerries is a great option...we took a day trip to Sicily with them and it was great. One caveat: take some dramamine with you. Although our morning ferry ride was great, our return trip home was a nightmare. The waves were so high that the ferry was bouncing up and down and left to right. It was horrible. Most of the passengers were quite ill. It took my husband and I a few days to feel better! I'm sure we would have been fine with some motion sickness drugs on hand!

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Malta to Sicily

The ferry is nice but if it's rough not so as there are only a couple of WC's and the seats are arranged like a big aircraft. I would recommend Dramamine to take prior to the journey. My wife could be sea sick on a pond but even in quite rough weather on the Catamaran breakfast stayed where it was supposed to!!