We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wind

north east england
Level Contributor
440 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
wind

i think I am decided on giving Malta a try after some great advise on this site so I will probably be asking some silly questions so sorry in advance. Here goes the first one, is it windy in Malta or sliema to be exact. thanks.

Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
629 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: wind

Yes it can be, when are you thinking of going to Sliema?

Trisha

north east england
Level Contributor
440 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wind

Hi, We are thinking of coming on the 26th May for 2 weeks, thats if no one puts us off as it seems people really love Malta or hate it. I know its personal choice but it does put doubt into ones mind listening to negative things. Thanks

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,679 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wind

End of May , the weather will be fine and not really windy. I would say not windy at all.

Sliema is occasionally hit by bad weather in the winter, only , say December and January, a few days.

Fire away with the questions and we will do our best:-)

Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
629 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: wind

Hi polly

Don't worry too much about the negatives, people with a gripe usually do spread the word, but there are plenty of people who love malta but do not come on the forums, I think more love it than hate it. If you watch the posts, and ask your questions before you go you should be fine.

Re the wind it is more a winter thing, we usually get a bit during our visit in november but i find it cooling as I am not too keen on the heat rather than cold. May should be a lovely month not too hot like in the summer.

Regards Trisha

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wind

Hi Polly

End of May is a lovely time to visit. It is lovely and warm without being too hot as in July and August. Kids are still in school both in Malta and the UK so it is not too busy (half term in the UK so there might be some British holiday makers). Exam time too for older kids so again quieter time.

It won't be windy at that time of the year and it is warm enough to go into the sea (sea will still be a little bit cold but after the initial shock you can swim around quite pleasantly).

Have a lovely time and fire away with those questions then you won't be disappointed

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,291 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wind

Malta is a small island - so there is often a breeze. There might be things people don`t like about Malta but I`ve never heard people being bothered by the wind so I don`t think you should worry. When it is windy in Winter, in Sliema it really only affects the Promenade and , to be honest, is exhilerating.

What I find strange is that practically all people who come on the forum all out against Malta are first time posters who never answer any posts given in reply and , in fact, never post again.

As I have so often said, in this day of Internet there is really no excuse for not getting the info you need for a good vacation.

You are very wise in making enquiries in advance.

Have a look at these sites, many of your queries will be answered =

www.visitmalta.com – the official site. Click on views and downloads for video clips, 360 degrees and E-brochures. Also go to the interactive map and click on `towns and villages` you`ll find some videos clips and all the info you should need

www.supercities.eu – a SUPER site made up entirely of video clips. Includes video clips of the larger hotels

www.heartofmalta.com – lots of good info with video clips of hotels and localities

www.starwebmalta.com – bars, restaurants etc listed according to locality

www.searchmalta.com - postcards and info

www.heritagemalta.org - details of museums and heritage sights

You can become a Heritage Malta member and enjoy free access to most of the sites and enjoy discounts at museum shops and other benefits.

heritagemalta.org/membership/membership.html

www.101malta.com – faq and good info

www.mymalta.com – a different kind of site

www.holidays-malta.com - subsidiary of Air Malta with good varied info

www.holiday-malta.com – a good side by Euro Resort

www.airmalta.com and www.maltairport.com will give up to date info

www.di-ve.com – a local general info portal

atp.com.mt – regular and direct bus schedules

choosemalta.com/en/about-malta/101-things-to…

www.chevron.co.uk – a lot of info also good calendar of events

www.gozo.gov.mt – the official site

north east england
Level Contributor
440 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wind

Thanks so much for the info you are so helpful. Can you tell me how long will it take to walk from our hotel the Waterfront (if we choose this one) to St Julians? I looked at one of the dowmloads you sent me and it looks quite a short walk if we cut through the streets rather than go around the coast line. How much will it cost to catch the ferry to Valletta and how often do they go.

Thanks once again.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: wind

Strange as it seems any wind in Malta seems to run as a cycle of 3 days ... realistically when it does get windy the only thing that becomes more awkward is the diving and even then it's so easily to move to the lee side of the island. This will be no different for you and sightseeing.

Sliema
Level Contributor
536 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: wind

To answer your question copied below.

"I looked at one of the dowmloads you sent me and it looks quite a short walk if we cut through the streets rather than go around the coast line. How much will it cost to catch the ferry to Valletta and how often do they go."

Yes you can cut through the side streets to get there faster, but you must remember that Malta is an Island and very hilly. So depending on your age and health it can be a stress for you to climb the hills.

Sliema was always windy and now with all the high rises it gets worse. But don't worry it will not blow you away. I live in Sliema and the windy season is not that long

Compo

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,291 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: wind

Well, it would take about 5 min to walk along the promenade to the Ferries (the hub of Sliema where there are the shops, cafes, harbour cruises, direct buses), then a short, slightly up hill walk to the start of the Sliema/St Julians Promenade. It would take about 30 min to walk it.

As regards the ferry to Valletta, it is VERY cheap and quite frequent.

Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta