We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for the week

Provo, Utah
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Advice for the week

My husband and I will be first-time visitors to Malta in May. We are staying at the Golden Sands. I am overwhelmed with the planning and would love suggestions for our itinerary. I have looked at several day tours, jeep tours of Gozo (we love jeeps)We love history, art, culture which there is an over-abundance of here, so we would love some guidance. We aren't interested in lazing at the beach. Are any of the tours worth it? Overpriced? In the past when we have travelled we have found a "day trip", the first day to get an overview helpful and full of good information for the rest of the trip, but is this necessary? I read about a tour to Sicily. This is our first taste of Italy, so would this be good? Can someone suggest an itinerary to make the most of our time. Also, we are curious about Piggy-backing another week in Italy with Florence, Venice, Tuscany being my main interests. Can anyone suggest a tour we could join?

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for the week

I assume you will be at the Golden Sands for a week or more.Use the "Search" box on this forum by putting in something like "itenary" or "culture" and see where that gets you.

Hat will come in and give you all the websites that may help you.

The Golden Sands is ideal for the sun,beach and sand lovers to live in luxury and class.

Come back after you see Hats list of sites and give us more info as to what you like most.

My simple list ...Valletta , Mdina , Gozo ,Sliema,the Three Cities,Hypogeum, Ggantija and Catacombs.

Put every one in the "Search" and then come back.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for the week

Open a new posting to get advice about the Italy Tour, as otherwise we will get replies confused.

There are lots of tour operators in Malta, with whom you can book online ......have to go now ...waiting for your comeback.

Malta
Level Contributor
55 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for the week

Hello, I would particularly recommend visiting the following:-

Palazzo Falson in Mdina

www.palazzofalson.com

Palazzo Parisio and Gardens in Naxxar

www.palazzoparisio.com

Casa Rocca Piccola in Valletta

www.casaroccapiccola.com

I think you should be able to reach all of these independently without booking a tour either using the bus or with a hire car or by negotiating a fixed price with a taxi company to book a car + driver for a day. There is a direct bus from Golden Sands to Valletta which takes about 30-45 minutes. If it were me I would try not to plan to visit too many places on one day, i.e., I would allow a day for Valletta and a day for Mdina as there is so much to see.

Regards, Luzzu

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for the week

The Golden Sands hotel is a little bit isolated. It is on a beautiful beach though. You might find it useful to hire a car or else use the local buses.

The tour to Sicily is usually just a day trip and is very long and tiring. You spend a lot of time on a coach and not enough time to see much of Sicily so I'd concentrate on Malta and give that a miss this time. If you want to go to Italy there are flights from Malta to Rome, Florence and Venice so that can easily be arranged. Check out www.ryanair.com for cheap flights to Florence and Venice. Air Malta and Alitalia fly to Rome

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for the week

Twirl

Airmalta fly to Reggio Calabria and Catania in Sicily twice daily on some days of the week.

The day trip by boat is tiring but by air it can be an experience if well planned.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for the week

This link could help if you download the flyaway brochure, even if it takes some time

www.airmalta.com/flyaway-special-offers

I will try to find some tor operators links like Hamilton , Mondial and Eurotours and post the links.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for the week

643amc - I agree flying would be a better idea. I'd stay more than just one day. It would be more expensive than the day trip but worthwhile. Other option is to go over on the catamaran but spend a few days in Sicily. I guess it all depends on how much time you have.

Provo, Utah
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for the week

Thanks for this great advice. I think we will skip Sicily, at least during this week. I will research the sites you all have recommended and get back to you with questions.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,282 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice for the week

If you have the possibility of extending your stay you could consider taking a Malta to Malta one week cruise. Port of Calls include Naples, Civitavecchia (Rome) Livorno (Florence/Pisa) French Riviera , Barcelona, Palermo, Tunis.

As you`ve been told Golden Sands is rather isolated and there isn`t anything nearby. I imagine they offer a courtesy coach to the nearest town from where you can get a bus. But without a car you might have a problem as you`re not interested

in just lazing about near the pool (lovely as it is) or the beach.

Just to help in your planning - St Pauls Bay (the nearest town) to Valletta would take about 40 min by bus.

From Bugibba/Qawra (about 10 min by bus) you can get direct buses to most places of interest.

I`ve spoken to tourists who really enjoyed the jeep tours and also the hop on/hop off buses.

These are useful sites, although it seems you`ve already done quite alot of research

When you visit Malta, I suggest you visit Valletta on your first day. As soon as you enter Valletta, there is the Tourist Office on the Right. The staff are very helpful and informative. There is a wealth of info available and posters of forthcoming events.

www.visitmalta.com – the official site. Clic k on views and downloads for video clips, 360 degrees and E-brochures. Also go to the interactive map and click on `towns and villages` you`ll find some videos clips and all the info you should need

www.supercities.eu – a SUPER site made up entirely of video clips. Includes video clips of the larger hotels

www.heartofmalta.com – lots of good info with video clips of hotels and localities

www.starwebmalta.com – bars, restaurants etc listed according to locality

www.searchmalta.com - postcards and info

http://www.malta-map.com/ - very useful

www.heritagemalta.org - details of museums and heritage sites

You can become a Heritage Malta member and enjoy free access to most of the sites and enjoy discounts at museum shops and other benefits.

heritagemalta.org/membership/membership.html

www.dinlarthelwa.org - guardian of historic properties open to the public

www.go.com.mt- online telephone directory

www.timeout.com/travel/malta - city and county guide

www.vallettawaterfront.com – along the waters edge of the Grand harbour

www.timesofmalta.com – in English daily

www.maltaweather.com – 5 day forecast

www.101malta.com – faq and good info

www.mymalta.com – a different kind of site

www.holidays-malta.com - subsidiary of Air Malta with good varied info

www.holiday-malta.com – a good side by Euro Resort

www.airmalta.com and www.maltairport.com will give up to date info

www.di-ve.com – a local general info portal

www.atp.com.mt – regular and direct bus schedules

choosemalta.com/en/about-malta/101-things-to… - many useful details

www.chevron.co.uk – a lot of info also good calendar of events

www.maltadirect.com

http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/Malta-Gozo.htm

accomodation

www.malta-information.com - big choice

www.holiday-rentals.co.uk - has villas

www.gomaltatravel.com - big choice plus tours

www.malta-info.co.uk - varied

http://www.maltabookers.com/default.asp - holiday flats and guest houses and gen info

www.gozo.gov.mt – the official site

www.guidegozo.com – lots of general info.

www.gozo1234.com - accomodation

www.gozobreak.com - accommodation

www.islandofgozo.com -

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,282 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice for the week

Tell us your age group and whether you plan to hire a car and we`ll be able to help you out with an itenary with more ease.

Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta