We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scuba diving for children and adults

UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
scuba diving for children and adults

Hi,

I am going to Malta in two weeks (soooo excited!!), and would like to try scuba diving. I have one child aged 13 and one aged 11 - is there anywhere that would accommodate the kids and me (as an adult).

Thank you!

London, United...
Level Contributor
941 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: scuba diving for children and adults

then visit Gozo and check out Frankie's Diving Centre. While in Gozo you may also visit lots of places of interest such as Ggantija Temples and the Citadel. Lots of excellent restaurants offering mouth freshening meals and also try accommodation at one of the island's lovely self-catering farmhouses or otherwise try one of the excellent hotels on the island.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scuba diving for children and adults

Virtually all of the dive operations that are open will be able to accommodate you.

Probably one of the best equipped will be Maltaqua (gosh that sticks in my throat!). Tey are based in Bugibba.

Where are you staying? This will give a better idea for operator suggestions.

It's still going to be a little cold so a well equipped dive operator is essential so that you get proper fitting gear rather than kit that is just about right and ok for the summer.

west yorks
Level Contributor
188 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scuba diving for children and adults

To be fair Scubapro you reccomended them for my grandson last year,and you were spot on they did a first class job for his first time ever age 8,very safe informative and helpfull ,a copper dearer but worth every penny,

Regards Mike

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,700 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scuba diving for children and adults

Bear in mind there are sometimes different options for 'try dives' which the centres should explain. Some include only a pool session whereas the more expensive option (around 75 euro) includes at least one dive in the sea (in a calm, shallow location).

Maltaqua, who Scubapro recommends, offer this with the opportunity to carry on to a certification course if you like it. Other dive centres may do the same, and some will offer to credit you for the try dive.

A certification course will involve some time in the classroom.

There is a 'bubble maker course' available for children but it's targeted at ages 8 to 11. Your youngest should be fine in a 'normal' class.

My personal favourite centres are Aquaventure and Dive Deep Blue but I've met folks from most of the others whilst diving in Malta and found them all to be pretty good, friendly, helpful and accommodating.

UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: scuba diving for children and adults

Thank you all so much for the responses. I will try Maltqua as it is tried and tested for the kids.

Once again, thank you!

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: scuba diving for children and adults

If that's the case you can get info from them at http://www.maltaqua.com/pages/facilities.htm

I hope you all enjoy

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
242 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: scuba diving for children and adults

By Heck is Maltaqua still going

We last visited 15 years ago it was the most professional set-up I've seen then or since

Will have to pop in and have a beer with them in the bar next door

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: scuba diving for children and adults

I can't help thinking that Maltaqua is BSAC Europe member #1.

They are not my cup of tea but there is no denying their professionalism. Still overseen by Agnes.

There are a lot of very good set ups in Malta these days.

9. Re: scuba diving for children and adults

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 05:23
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta