We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how big is malta???

London, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
how big is malta???

there are alot of questions id like to ask but might have been repeated already in the forums but simple one is-how big is malta? im always told its small enough to visit in a few days so im considering a weekend at the end of march here. how long does it take to get to one end to the other? also would like to visit the island of gozo and i read a few lines about the blue lagoon but im afraid thats where my knowledge of malta stops short. have heard wonderful things about the islands though so would love to visit.

would love any information that anyone has time to give thanks all

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,329 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: how big is malta???

As a general guide line, very few bus rides take more than 30 minutes.

The size of Malta is about 27 km/ 16.8miles long by 14.5 km/ 9.00miles width,

Area - 122 square miles-316 square km (Malta 246 sq km, Gozo 67 sq km, Comino 2.7 sq km).

Coastline - 196.8km (not including 56.01 km for the island of Gozo).

The longest distance in Malta from North West to South East is about 27 km, with 14.5 kms width in an East - West direction

What this all means is that if you stay in the Sliema/St Julians area it would take about 20 min by bus into Valletta, from Bugibba/Qawra it would take about 30 minutes. There are also direct buses from both areas to most places of interest.

There are lots of tours to Gozo and Comino (for the Blue Lagoon)

Have a look at these sites to give you a general idea of what I`m talking about. Get back if you need any more ideas. For a weekend, I`d choose Sliema/St Julians as it is more central and you`ll waste less time travelling

www.visitmalta.com – the official site. Clic k on views and downloads for video clips, 360 degrees and E-brochures. Also go to the interactive map (very good and entertaining) and click on `towns and villages` you`ll find some videos clips and all the info you should need

www.supercities.eu – a SUPER site made up entirely of video clips. Includes video clips of the larger hotels

www.heartofmalta.com – lots of good info with video clips of hotels and localities

www.starwebmalta.com – bars, restaurants etc listed according to locality

www.searchmalta.com - postcards and info

http://www.guidetomalta.net – a good general site

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: how big is malta???

If you can afford I would plan 4 days , so you can relax and not dash everywhere .

I have been on extended weekend holidays and always feel that , only if I had another day ......

Not to Miss

Valletta ... Half Day to a day

Mdina .... Half day

Gozo .. One day

Comino and grand harbour cruises .. One day

My idea of a short glimpse of what is available, leaving out the Beaches and the Restaurants, the Hypogeum, Marsaxlokk , and the Neolithic temples .

Since we do not know what you like !!!

Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
629 posts
1 review
3. Re: how big is malta???

Hi I don't know where you are based, but if you have been to the Isle of Wight it is approx the same size - but with A LOT bigger population. I always think of it as 20 miles x 10 miles, this is slightly oversized but gives a nice round figure and a general idea.

Yes it is small enough to drive around over a weekend, but you would not get to stop and see much or the real Malta. Go for as long as you can or if it can only be a weekend think of it as a taster for your return trip there. Our first visit was for two weeks, the next year we went for three weeks, and we have been back each year since, just to give you an idea of how much there is to see and pack in!

If you are only going for a short trip, I would definitely hire a car to get to Gozo and some other must see attractions, so you don't waste any time waiting for busses. amc's suggestions are good for a short trip.

Go ahead and ask all your questions, you will either be referred to previous posts or given an answer, your question may have been asked before but to you it is all new.

Regards Trisha

London, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
4. Re: how big is malta???

thanks guys for the fast and very useful responses. yes for the time being we can only really afford a weekend away meaning friday to sunday. but as mentioned already it will definitely be considered as our taster trip!!!! as many of you are suggesting hiring out a car how much will this be for the weekend? and what is the driving like on the island?? we would rather not hire one and just relax but if it makes life easier then we might as well.

if i do think of anymore questions i will indeed come back and ask them thank you for making us feel comfortable!!!!

MEX
Level Contributor
1 post
35 reviews
5. Re: how big is malta???

It's not big and very safe to walk around all day long, no need to rent a car, buses are old but ok to travel from city to city. I recommend you to Relax and enjoy this wonderful country. You can find gentle and helpful people and of course a couple of rude guys but just skip them and live on your vacation. My wife and I visited Comino,Blue lagoon, blue grotto, Gozo, Mdina and Valetta in just 5 days. Dinner by the ocean in Comino is great and not expensive and also in Valetta's downton.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: how big is malta???

King of spades, you don't really need to hire a car especially if you are trying to keep costs down. You would be able to do more with a car but hey you're on holiday so take it easy, go with the flow and enjoy your time in Malta, then come back for a longer visit. Buses are cheap, frequent and take you anywhere on the island

7. Re: how big is malta???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta