We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delimara Coves...worth a visit?

London
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Delimara Coves...worth a visit?

Hi All

In my attempts to keep the good DrD off the beer, until about 11am that is, I'm still trying to pin down some out-of-the-way places to visit.

My guidebook hints at a wonderful coastline on the Delimara promontary with some great little coves, however it doesn't mention whether they're easy or not to get to. The map would suggest getting off the bus to Marsaxlokk before it gets there and then heading off on foot down a dusty road for a kilometer or two. Does that sound about right & is it worth the effort?

Cheers

Ntd

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delimara Coves...worth a visit?

If you want to keep DrD off the beer try one of these walks. Take plenty of water if attempting this in August around noon .

http://www.visitmalta.com/e-brochures

Brochure downloads

visitmalta.com/ebrochures/bahrija_walk.pdf

www.visitmalta.com/ebrochures/dwejra_walk.pdf

visitmalta.com/ebrochures/girgenti_walk.pdf

www.visitmalta.com/ebrochures/Marfa.pdf

Good luck ............

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delimara Coves...worth a visit?

643 gave you some good suggestions.

Have a look at

http://www.tripadvisor.com/TravelHome

c109742/Island-Of-Malta:Malta:Country.Walks.html

What about the cart ruts - have you checked them out ?

Did you know Fort Madliena is open to the public ?

I haven`t been to Delimara for ages - if you get there tell us how you got on .

london uk
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delimara Coves...worth a visit?

the coastline around delimera point is wonderful, visit peters pool for some really strange eroded rocks and it is also very good for swimming, i walked all around the area when i was there at christmas, got some really good photos. there is also a great cove to the north of delimera i forget the name, there are some lovely walks in and around the whole area.

alan

London
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delimara Coves...worth a visit?

Many, many thanks both and ta for the links. I'll report back any "off piste journeys" we do.

If the cart ruts are what my guidebook calls the "clapham junction" ruts we were going to check them out a couple of years ago....but the Cisk got the better of us!!!

I was going to post this as a topic, but what the heck. The 23rd April when we're in Malta (yes that day again) is actually our mother's birthday (86 yrs young!) and to make up for being away on her birthday I was wondering what sort of special present to take back for her. When we (that's me and my mother) travelled around Malta in 2000 she was particularly taken by the local lace, she bought some from a tiny shop in Rabat near the catacombes. Is it still easy to get hold of, or is there something else I should go for, she's particularly taken by crystal glass? Sorry for the questions.

Cheers

Ntd

London
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delimara Coves...worth a visit?

Thanks Alan

Sounds like it's well worth getting down there, I do like a nice bit of coast to explore, comes from being borne & bred by the seaside I suppose!

Hat & others - there's some pretty good Malta ramblers web sites I've come across, they also post lots of good photos too. I'm more of a city rambler myself (OK pub crawler) but if the goings not too tough....but you'll never see me power-walking on Sliema seafront though!

Cheers

Ntd

weston-super-mare
Level Contributor
489 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delimara Coves...worth a visit?

bloody hell there will no time for cisk at all at this rate bruv

Drd

weston-super-mare
Level Contributor
489 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delimara Coves...worth a visit?

Christ these are not walks they are whole Holiday hikes each

DrD

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Delimara Coves...worth a visit?

My husband and I (I sound like the Queen) go for a walk regularly along the Sliema Front and considered ourselves quite fit.

We went abroad with some friends who are keen members of the Ramblers Association and went for a walk with them - we were quickly brought down to earth and realised we were definately not as fit as we thought.

Yes those are the cart ruts - they are in various places in Malta and their reason is not really known.

If you buy lace, be careful as sometimes it`s not real Malta lace but machine made. What about silver filagree ?

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Delimara Coves...worth a visit?

Or Mdina glass, you can get some lovely pieces now. Go to the Ta' Qali crafts village and you will find plenty of Mdina glass and also Maltese lace

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Delimara Coves...worth a visit?

If you want to combine Rambling with Beer and the Sliema seafront , I would suggest dropping into Tony's Bar on the strand for your first round , walking to the city of London Pub for your second and maybe if your up to it , for a third finish up at the BJ's.

Repeat in reverse order before heading home .....

Leave the rambling walks for next year when you are fitter ......

Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta