We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone recommend a hotel for my 83 year old mother

Luanda, Angola
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Anyone recommend a hotel for my 83 year old mother

I want to take my mother who is 83 to Malta, can anyone recommend a 5 star hotel that would be suitable for her, ie not too many steps,not too noisy, not too young - also one that is close enough to some restaurants/shops that we could walk to. Don't mind what area it is in just want to make it a holiday she will really enjoy as my dad was stationed there with the marines many years ago so it holds special memories for her.

Thanks to anyone for and views or advice

Sandra

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone recommend a hotel for my 83 year old mother

First 5*hotel that came to my mind, would be the Fortina at Tigne Point Sliema.

Careful you are not booked in the one next door.

Even if not 5*, I would also consider the Preluna on Tower road .

I will let Hat decide for you , or suggest something else !

From both hotels , you can walk along the seafront to the Sliema shopping area and maybe a restaurant or two, without climbing steps or hills!

Just thought that 115 The Strand might suit you but again not 5*?

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone recommend a hotel for my 83 year old mother

The Sliema Ferries is the hub of Sliema where you'll find the shops, cafes, hop on bus, harbour cruises, direct buses to places of interest, the Sliema/Gzira Promenade etc. And it's all flat ground.

It's only 20 min by bus to Valletta. The direct buses are ideal , they take you to Mdina, Mellieha/Mosta, the Three Cities with no effort whatsoever.

So the Fortina 5* is in an excellent position for all this.

Up a slight hill is the Sliema/St Julians Promenade and more cafes and restaurants.

If you find the hill too much, take a bus from in front of M & S and get off at the first bus stop (where the Promenade begins) or further along and walk back.

Have a look at

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g190327-s2/Sliema:Isl…

www.visitmalta.com – the official Tourist Authority site. Good info. Go to Views and Downloads and you`ll find video clips and 360 degrees. Also e-books & brochures

www.supercities.com – a site made up entirely of video clips of locations and hotels

www.heartofmalta.com – contains lots of video clips even of hotels

www.starwebmalta.com – bars, restaurants etc listed according to locality

Put 'Tony's Bar' in the search box on top - it should interest you.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,710 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone recommend a hotel for my 83 year old mother

Another that comes to mind is Le Meridien on the border between Sliema/St Julians. Close to the lovely promenade and the lovely restaurants in Spinola Bay. Also, in this area is the 4* Juliani which is a boutique style hotel. Both are close to bus stops with regular buses to Valletta and other parts of the island.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone recommend a hotel for my 83 year old mother

All the hotels mentioned are in good positions for what you want. Check them all out on the hotel reviews and then come back with any more questions

Luanda, Angola
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone recommend a hotel for my 83 year old mother

Thank you all for your advice, I am busy checking out the hotels you suggest, would you choose the Fortina hotel or the Fortina spa hotel? I like the look of the Meridian, would this be just as good an area for my mother as the others? Also has anyone stayed at the Hilton, someone told me that this was one of the best hotels in Malta - does anyone have a view on this. As my mother rarely goes abroad I want to make sure that I book something really good for her.

Thanks again everyone!

west yorks
Level Contributor
188 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone recommend a hotel for my 83 year old mother

The hiring of a small mobility scooter may help your mum to get a lot further along the prom area,i realise some elderly relatives may not embrace the idea,but it would expand her options,in some areas of Malta,

Enjoy Mike.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone recommend a hotel for my 83 year old mother

If you go for the Fortina make sure it is the 5* bit not the 4* one as generally people complain about the 4* part. The Hilton is one of the best hotels in Malta but its location may not be ideal for your mother. There are lots of restaurants nearby so that's not an issue, though there are steps to get to the ones near the Hilton, but if you want to go for a walk along the promenade it's a bit of a walk downhill which means uphill on the way back.

Le Meridien is in better position as it is practically on the promenade, slightly uphill to get to it though.

I would look at the Preluna too, though not 5*, it is literally right on the promenade with restaurants nearby

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone recommend a hotel for my 83 year old mother

As Twirl has remarked , ensure you are booked into the 5* Spa Fortina if this is your choice.

Again agreeing with Twirl, I have nothing to complain about the Meridien and would recommend it to anyone as a very good hotel , but,but ...there is a bit of a ramp coming up from the promenade which may prove difficult for senior citizens.

Also the Sliema Shops are not within walking distance.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone recommend a hotel for my 83 year old mother

Do not know why I went for a sliema Hotel , but now I was thinking you could look at the Phoenicia Hotel in Valletta or just outside Valletta.

Valletta is just 100 metres from the front door , but maybe , Valletta is not very good for walking since it is mostly downhill and uphill, except for Main street and Merchant street.

The bus station is also just outside the main door.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone recommend a hotel for my 83 year old mother

The Meridien is just off the Sliema/St Julians promedade, but it's not really walking distance to the ferries. and it would be about a 15 min slow walk to Spinola Bay. Then there is a hill up to most of the restaurants.

Buses pass all along the Promenade so you could get a bus of course.

It all depends how mobile your mother is and whether you think she would prefer staying near the centre of things or whether she wouldn't mind somewhere with more grounds but further out. There's no denying that the Hilton offers a great stay but you'd have to make regular use of buses (or taxi's of course)

Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta