We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon

ohio
7 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon

Hi there, I have been hitting my head trying to arrange my honeymoon in Malta but with no success till now. I have booked my flight to arrive on July 12 and leave July 23, so I am staying 11 nights. I heard people saying Gozo is the idea place for honeymooners but then heard that you will not have places to visit or activities to do for 12 days? I am very much interested in the night life but do not wish to get bored after 3 days? Or would you all sugest to stay in Malta and only visit gozo for one day?

My budget is maximum EURO 2500 for the whole honeymoon so for bed and brekafast I can pay around EURO 1300 or so. what is the best hotel either in Malta or Gozo that has centered location, nice atmosphere, good view and will fit my budget?

Please help as i am about to lose my head

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon

This is a diificult one to answer because Gozo is probably the most romantic of the locations, but, if nightlife is important, and without a car this would not be a good option for 13 days. Malta however is lovely and perfect for an Honeymoon. Sliema and St Julians are centrally located with easy access to other parts of the Island (including the Gozo Ferry terminal and the nice beaches in the north of the island) via the regular and cheap bus service.

Luckily for you many of the nice hotels are offering good discounts at the moment so you should be able to get a good standard of hotel for your budget, i.e. a quick look on Expedia showed that the 5* Le Meridien was offering 30% off your booking if you stay for 5 nights or more, The Marina Hotel at the Corinthia Beach Resort, and the Corinthia Hotel at St Georges Bay are offering 40% discount, all of these are lovely hotels perfect for an Honeymoon and the prices pretty unbelieveably low for July. Other hotels that may be within your budget in this area include the Hotel Juliani at Ballutta Bay and the Hotel Preluna and Spa and Hotel Diplomat both in Sliema. It is probably worth checking the hotels websites to see what offers can gained by booking direct, and when booking mention it is your Honeymoon because they may add some special touches to make you stay better.

It is also possible to split your holiday between the 2 islands, perhaps spending a couple of nights in Gozo. The Hotel Calypso may be a possibilty for you. The ferry from Malta is inexpensive, but buses on Gozo are not as regular, and do not run as late as buses on Malta, therefore if you want to see all the sites that Gozo has to offer car hire is recommended and is fairly cheap for a couple of days.

Good luck planning your trip and with your wedding.

London, United...
Level Contributor
941 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon

Tripalot is right, a difficult question to answer. Though it seems you are not fully informed about Gozo.

Gozo is the most romantic island of the two. I would not recommend Calypso Hotel though for a honeymoon, since it's a modern hotel and is anything but romantic! If you are looking for a romantic hotel to stay in, i would recommend either Cornucopia Hotel or Ta' Cenc, or otherwise you may choose a B&B or a self-catering farmhouse. If you go for a B&B i recommend Lelluxa in Qala (though never been there, friends of mine stayed there and enjoyed it), while if you may think of a self-catering farmhouse with your own private pool, then i recommend the guys from Gozobreak.com (we rent out from them regularly and they offer an excellent service). Am sure that with your budget you will manage to find accommodation in any of the above recommended.

There is much to do and to see in Gozo. If you are interested in tucked away beaches then San Blas or Dahle Qorot in Nadur are paradise! Ramla Bay is much more popular, with lots of locals and tourists. Dwejra Bay is also fantastic, while Kantra is another tucked away bay, lovely! You can visit the Citadel and the capital Victoria; the salt-pans; the Ggantija temples in Xahra, together with the Pomzikilious Toys museum and a couple of caves in the area! We have been to all of them. There are also lots of activities to do in Gozo, jeep safari, scuba-diving, jet-skiing, horse-riding and lots more. Important to meet the locals since not everyone will know of some of such services. A day to Comino is also recommended. Regarding nighlife, there are quite some bars in Victoria like Jubilee Cafe and Mojos. Then there is Grotta discotheque on the way to Xlendi, which is the place which attracts most locals and we have noticed that even many Maltese youngsters cross over for the night. Car hire is recommended in Gozo. Best restaurants i recommend in Gozo are Tatitas, Cima, Jeffrey's, Tmun and Oleander though recently there was a posting over here (in TA) which cited that Xeeri Buskett in Qala is quite good as well! Honestly it enjoys picturesque views, though it's been quite some time since we last dined there.

Will never recommend to visit Gozo for just one day!

There's much more to choose in Malta for nightlife, with St Julians and Paceville being the hub. Though i would never consider staying in Sliema/St Julians for a 'romantic stay'. I would much better prefer maybe Mdina. Check out the Xara Palace Hotel. There are lots of Hotels in the Sliema/St Julians area, and Malta also has lots to offer when it comes to cultural activities and places of interest.

You will be on the islands in the peak festa season, so whether you choose Malta or Gozo, you must get the taste of a festa. If you happen to be in Gozo that week they will celebrating the feast of St George, which is one of the most celebrated in Victoria, and they will host lots of cultural activities in the streets of Victoria for the whole week, band playing, fireworks and even horse-racing (though am not sure whether they are still organising them). Am sorry, don't know which villages will have their festas in Malta, since we always stay in Gozo and are more concerned with what will be going on over there.

uk
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo
Level Contributor
1,958 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon

the san lawrence hotel would be suitable for a honeymoon its not far from victoria but it is advisable to have a rental car.but july is high seasonand wherever you go there will be familys .i dont think you will be bored unless you like places like benidrom or magaluf with plenty of night life.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon

Yes I would have suggested the Xara Palace Hotel but it is very expensive and well above your suggested budget. But Mdina is definitely worthy of a visit, and is probably my favourite tourist spot on Malta. There is a direct bus from Sliema/St. Julians to Mdina.

I disagree with Magnusson regarding St Julians/Sliema not being romantic. There are some stunning views to be had (most of the nicer hotels are coastal so have good sea views) and there is a lovely promenade to stroll along and admire the differing views has you walk around the lovely bays between St Julians and Sliema, with plenty of lovely romantic restaurants in the vicinity. It is not as tranquil and laid back as Gozo (I agree with what Magnusson has posted) but it has plenty to offer and is a good central base.

I suggested the Calypso because it does look quite nice and is well reviewed and most importantly is within your budget. My favourite hotel is actually the Kempinski in San Lawrenz which if price was no object would also be perfect since the resort is beautiful, the Spa facilities first class and the staff very good. I also heartily recommend Tatitas, my favourite restaurant on gozo, albeit a little expensive.

You could consider staying in the North of Malta perhaps in Mehellia which despite being lovely (both the coast and the village) to be honest I find rather too quiet especially in the evenings when the buses have stopped running. Entertainment tends to centre around the hotels, which my family really don't appreciate. On the positive side it is a convenient base for the sandy beaches, the Gozo ferry and for trips to Comino, but is quite remote from the rest of the island, especially in the evening. IT would give you the flexibility to visit Gozo as often as you wished. I have stayed at the Panarama which I wouldn't recommend, however you could take a look at the RIU Seabank.

I will let the Malta Experts give you the list of things to do in Malta since depite knowing the island fairly well, I still haven't visited all of the attractions.

ohio
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon

thanks for your support.

I will arrive between July 12 and July 23. I have around EUR 1400 maximum to spend on the accomodation plus EUR 1100 afterwards. I need to go for bed and breakfast.

I wished to get a villa like dar te zappi in gozo but after my fiancee knew that villas do not have Air conditioning, she said she wants a hotel. what do you think, any suggestion?

What is my cheapest and still comfortable way to get from malta airport to gozo and vice versa?

i am thinking about kempinsiki (110 per night plus 164 for transportation both way) or grand hotel (107 per night with free transpotrtation) or san andrea in gozo ... what do you think and suggest? which one will give me better quality accomdoation, access to restuarants, etc

i am thinking about le meridian in malta, what do you think? but all i can afford there is the classic room looking over the car park?

shall i stay in malta and have day trip to gozo

i am really lost and cannot take one decision and about to lose my head

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon

Villas in Gozo are generally built of thick limestone and so are naturally cool without air conditioning (hence not an option), and therefore this could be a good choice for you.

The price for the Kempinski is very good, although you will be limited on local restaurant options without transportation. The hotel restaurants however are lovely. If you like walking you could easily make it to Dwerja bay, famous for the Inland sea and the Azure window, although the long uphill walk back in the July heat is not recommended. Also, very close to the hotel there is a lovely Crafts village with lots of local glassware, metalware, lace and jewellery. A way of saving money towards car hire (which you would definitely benefit from) could be not to take the airport transfers and use the money towards the cost of the car and drive yourself. It is only about 45 minutes from the airport to the ferry terminal (well signposted) and about 20 minutes from the ferry terminal to the Kempinski and the ferry is very cheap.

The Meridien in Malta is well located for easy access to lots of excellent restaurants and siteseeing without the need of a car. Perhaps if you call them and tell them it is your Honeymoon they may be willing to upgrade you to a better view? I would definitely try it.

Good luck with your further planning.

London, United...
Level Contributor
941 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon

Calm down Sir! ...and take it easy.

not all villas are without air-conditioning. Just google it on the net and find out, or otherwise contact some companies and ask what they can offer you! Besides, as Tripalot recommended the way in which the old farmhouses are built (with thick walls or high ceilings) do not make ac a must, though fans/ceiling fans might be recommended.

Cheapest way to go from airport to accommodation in Gozo is by bus, but what would my lady say if i take her one her honeymoon by bus?! :)

Price for Kempinski seems fine. If you hire a car on Gozo, you will have easy access to all restaurants, since Gozo is quite small. Furthermore the best restaurants in my opinion are Cima in Xlendi, Tmun in Victoria, Ta' Frenc on the way to Marsalforn, Oleander in Xaghra, therefore not one of them is within walking distance from either of the hotels, while then Tatitas and Jeffrey's are quite a few minutes walk from Kempinski.

Classic rooms at La Meridien used to be great. Have not been to the hotel for quite some time, but friends of mine who have been there about 2 years ago told us that they really enjoyed their stay over there.

Personally am against a day trip to Gozo! You will miss all the beauty and the tranquility of the island.

calm down and decide on the best things you would like to have on your honeymoon.

8. Re: Honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2009, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta
Recent Conversations