We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

coming to malta

nottingham
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
coming to malta

hi everyone my family and i are coming to malta in a few weeks first week in july for a week we will be staying at the raddison sas golden sands i have hired a car for us, can any one tell me were we should go and were we should eat,there are 7 of us my children ages range from 3 to 16,5 kids in total i need cheap places to eat and some were to take the sprogs we are really looking foward to coming over to malta as we have never been before, any tips would be good thanks very much clive.

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: coming to malta

hello clive.

a couple of suggestions for things to do with a small army like yours would be:

1, go to the waterpark/sealife which is on the coast road in between st julians and qwara, not sure of the actual name of the place but you cant really miss it.

2 try popeye village, not great but its ok for small kids to early teens.

i am not that sure where the golden sands is in relation to the rest of the island but if you want beaches for the kids try melliaha or a smaller one at st georges bay in st julians, the latter you can combine it with the bay street complex which has a cinema and other things like shops and bars etc. its 1 min away from the beach and that area is loaded with bars and eateries to suit all budgets.

hope this helps duck.

nottingham
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: coming to malta

cheers bob that helps heeps always better to be prepared i think thanks again clive

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: coming to malta

Hi Clive

From Golden Sands you could head to Qawra or St Julian's for somewhere to eat. You will find plenty of restaurants of all sorts and all prices. Bound to find lots that's suitable.

Not much at Golden Sands except a lovely beach - that should pretty much keep the kids occupied for a fair few days, then when they are ready for something different take up the above suggestions.

There is a playmobil factory the younger ones might enjoy, I'm sure they have a play area there. Trip to Gozo and/or Comino is also good

nottingham
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: coming to malta

thanks twirl

can you tell me is malta a very big island in terms of driving from one end to the other on a day out or should i stick to the north end,if you can could you point out some place's that we might want to avoid.cheers clive

Newcastle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: coming to malta

Malta is tiny 17 miles long by 9 miles wide but because there is a large population - 450,000 - and hence quite a few cars, traffic can be a bit congested.

I wouldn't bother with the car in Valletta. Park on the outskirts and walk in - parking in Valletta is complicated and impossible. If you go to St Julian's/Sliema you might have to drive around a bit to find a parking space. Don't park illegally as you will get a ticket. Don't park near a corner as that's also illegal, you need to leave about a car's length from a corner before you are legal (or thereabouts)

nottingham
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: coming to malta

thanks for that twirl are there any parking lines that i should be aware of and can i drive via the ferry of course to gozo or should we leave the car and go there on foot.thanks clive

Newcastle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: coming to malta

Definitely take the car to Gozo, public transport is not very good there so you will see a lot more if you have the car. It's easy enough, just turn up for the ferry and drive straight on.

www.gozochannel.com

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
41,238 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: coming to malta

Adjacent to Golden Bay is Għajn Tuffieħa, a lovely beach and you are only 4 or 5km from Mellieha Bay and the most popular if not best beach on Malta where there are watersports and beach restaurants. Turn right up the hill and drive into Mellieha for more restaurants. Turn left and drive past the beach and up the hill towards the ferry to Gozo and turn right at the crest to Ramla Bay and Armier and Little Armier Bays.

Also from Golden Bay you can drive up to Dingli Cliffs (remember the ad for Milk Tray where the guy dives off the cliffs - or perhaps before your time.) and to the Blue Grotto.

Your car will be a great asset to you but beware of the "idiosyncrasies" of local drivers - on the left, on the right, in the shade used to be the old adage!

nottingham
Level Contributor
143 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: coming to malta

thank you for your input a will be remembered as for the driving over there im not looking forward to so much now and i am a hgv lorry driver here in england may be ill just adopt some of my skills, be curtius but ignorant when needed, thanks again clive.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
41,238 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: coming to malta

Clive,

Don't worry about driving in Malta. You will enjoy it. Just drive normally as you do your lorry. You'll feel right at home! LOL :o)

Here's a tip for you if you are not already aware of it. When you pick your hire car up, inspect it carefully for damage - scratches, knocks etc. They should be marked on a diagram on your hire agreement. Make sure that all the damage is shown. If not get the agent to add the missing ones. Take photos with your digi camera if you have one for extra assurance.

You will be offered the chance to pay extra to have the CDW excess (€500 on my hire car) waived so you won't be faced with this if you pick up any more knocks. I think it was another €2 a day for this "peace of mind". I already have an annual insurance policy for this so I didn't bother but I think I would otherwise. The roads are not the best in the world and quite a bit of roadworks all over the place with stone chips a potential problem.

If you haven't got a road map of Malta, the AA does a good one which you can get from good bookshops here or in Malta.

Don't be put off either at the prospect of driving to and from Valletta, a not to be missed visit for any visitor to Malta. Park on the outskirts as previously suggested and walk in or drive past Msida Creek and follow the signs for the city. You will go up a slip road and join th main entrance road going under a beautiful arch over the road. Carry on down there a few hundred yards until you come to a roundabout. Take first left and there is a large NCP Underground Car Park on your right. Reasonable charges too and you are right outside the city gates. The bus station is there too and as a HGV driver I'm sure the old buses there will be of great interest to you.

Enjoy!

Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta