We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

problems with ryanair

nottingham
Level Contributor
144 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
problems with ryanair

please can any one tell me what problems my family and i are likely to face travling with ryanair with are flying to malta for the first time the first week in July i read on a blog that ryanair are not the best but i would like to know what prob's i might come a cross.all in put greatly received please don't hold back i need to know to be one step ahead of them. thanks everyone in advance clive.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: problems with ryanair

Haven't flown with them myself but you need to read the small print. You will be charged to take suitcases on board (in the hold) so make sure you book however many suitcases you want to put in the hold. You are only allowed a certain weight (15kg) I believe - don't go over that as they will charge you heavily.

You are only allowed one piece of hand luggage of specific dimensions - stick to that, check exactly what size you are allowed from their website. You will not be allowed to carry a handbag or laptop as well as hand luggage, they all have to fit into one piece of hand luggage.

Needless to say, you have to pay for your food too. Make sure you are not late checking in as they wait for no one.

If you observe all this you should be fine. Check their website for anything else I might have missed. Have a great holiday

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: problems with ryanair

clive, i have flown with ryanair a few times now from luton as they are always pretty cheap and if you remenber this fact you will not have any probs. never had any bother with them regarding delayed flights etc but they are the worst for baggage weight and they are now charging i think 40 quid per case which is a bit steep to say the least.

only thing which is a big let down is the return touch down time which is 23.45 6 days a week except saturday which is 21.30 and being from my neck of the woods is a bit if a treck back up the m1 or a1.

if you dont fancy the drive when you get back and you have a few quid in your pocket try the live and let live pub in a small village near luton which has chalet style rooms where you can park the car and the landlord will take you to and from the airport. its about 80 quid bed and breakfast with parking and the transfers so not too bad. google them if you need more info.

Island of Gozo...
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: problems with ryanair

Another thing with Ryanair is that you cannot book a seat, so you have to be quick if you want to be seated next to each other, unless you have booked priority boarding.

Qawra, Malta
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: problems with ryanair

hello, have flown with them many times with no problems. I would advise u to weigh your bags before you get to the airport as much time is wasted with people messing about with bags at check in. Also food is extortionate on the plane so take a pack up as from luton its a tea tie flight. Ihave never had a problem being separated from my children on board as most people are willing to move to let u sit together. Have fun

nottingham
Level Contributor
144 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: problems with ryanair

thank you for your info, i notice that you live in Malta can you please tell me if i will need child seats (booster)in the hire car.thanks Clive.

Mentioned in this post
Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,910 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: problems with ryanair

have used ryan a few times as the price is right and its not like one needs food and niceties on a 3,4 hour flight .. their legroom and size of seats is the smallest i have experienced with many airlines to compare .. its literally hard to hold a pocketbook up to read and if the person before you reclines his seat , as a female you best hope that your bustsize is average or less.

last time we flew ryan we spent a fun-filled 2 hours on the tarmac at stansted because somehow they had an extra passenger on the plane and couldnt figure it out?

don't expect the crew to look after your comfort.. the poor sods have to peddle so many junk items that they are running ragged and they are really not much more than glorified dollar store sales clerks.. couldn't expect them to be nice as i'd hate the job too.

ah well.. take it for what it is .. a cheap flight!

if you are going from england to malta , ts not gonna be the most comfy few hours in your life , but afer all, you are not paying for a luxury flight in style either :)

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: problems with ryanair

You have been given some good advice , but I have to remind you that your luggage will be weighed on your RETURN flight , so that you do not fall into the overweight luggage extra fee.

This article gives the general pitfalls with Lowcost which may end up not lowcost !

money.co.uk/article/1003559-how-to-fly-with-…

Good advice worth looking into .

nottingham
Level Contributor
144 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: problems with ryanair

thanks for that it was a great help i dont think i wil be travaling with ryanair again i only did it this time as we are only going for a week we normaly travel away for 2 weeks alinclusucive but we just wanted to get away for a week next year we are going to florida for 3 weeks but not with ryan air . thanks clive

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: problems with ryanair

Hi Clive

In Malta there is the seatbelt compulsory law , but I do not know exactly how it is applied to children or toddlers. Maybe you can put a new post about the subject under a new heading , since I cannot help you here....my experience on the subject ,carhire in Malta, is non existant.

Someone else may be of help .

Mentioned in this post
London, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: problems with ryanair

What you have to watch out for with Ryanair is the 15kg checked baggage weight limit. It's pretty mean, but just about OK on the way out, but what a lot of people get caught with is that after a holiday a lot of your clothes and towels have absorbed moisture and weigh quite a bit more. A decent sized beach towel can be half a pound (227g) heavier and still feel dry. My advice, for what it's worth, if you're near your limit is to tumble dry everything before you leave.