We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving at 3am and driving in Malta for first time.

Plymouth, UK
Level Contributor
64 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving at 3am and driving in Malta for first time.

Hi my fligt landa at 2.30am and have booked a hire car. Can you tell me what the roads are like and will it be easy to find my way to the Qware Palace hotel.

Ian

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
11,363 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving at 3am and driving in Malta for first time.

Driving in Malta is great fun providing you remember the following rules: 1) The largest vehicles seem to have right of way on roundabouts. 2) When driving down a one way street keep well to the left to make room for the locals coming the other way. Providing you take great care you will have a good time driving in Malta. It is a small island so you can not get very lost. The roads can be a bit potholey so keep your speed down. Get a decent map. The Qawra Palace Hotel is not too difficult to find. The best way would be to follow the coast road, Takes about 25/30 minutes.Have a great holiday in marvelous Malta

Mentioned in this post
Qawra Palace Hotel
Qawra Palace Hotel
2,962 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving at 3am and driving in Malta for first time.

I once made a map for someone to drive to the gozo ferry , which will help you , since it passes by St Pauls bay roundabout which you need to turn round to go to the Qawra palace . come back if it doesnt help you enough .

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Do you know where the Qawra Palace is ?

Mentioned in this post
St. Paul's Bay
St. Paul's Bay
Island of Malta, Malta
Qawra Palace Hotel
Qawra Palace Hotel
2,962 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving at 3am and driving in Malta for first time.

At 3 in the morning , traffic will be non existant and all the roads which I indicated are well light and signposted ...follow signs to Gozo or Cirkewwa up to the St Pauls roundabout and then take the second road into Bugibba and find the coast road on the right . The Qawra Palace is on the coast road and on the opposite side on the sea side it has a large pool and waterslide area .

Mentioned in this post
Bugibba
Bugibba
Island of Malta, Malta
Qawra Palace Hotel
Qawra Palace Hotel
2,962 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving at 3am and driving in Malta for first time.

The Qawra Palace is marked on the google map

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

so you can find your way .

Enjoy your holiday and come back for more info if required .

Mentioned in this post
Qawra Palace Hotel
Qawra Palace Hotel
2,962 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving at 3am and driving in Malta for first time.

First time and in the dark .... Leave the airport to the left and to a roundabout in a couple of hundred metres. Go straight over to the next roundabout .. Turn RIGHT (there is only left or right) and follow along the bumpy road to the next where you will turn left and go down a hill for some distance.

You will come into a one way system at the bottom. Follow your nose until you see the sign that has either "Gozo" or "Gozo Ferry" on it. just follow the route through the tunnel (being careful of the speed camera on the exit!!!!) follow the road over the roundabout and just stay left ready for the traffic lights ... keep going and stay on that road it quite litterally is the road around the coast .. make sure you stay on your side of the road. You will pass the water park on your right with a pedestrian light then into "nothingness" apart from a hillside on the left and the sea on the right.

As you follow it around you will come to the Coastline Hotel on your left (and probably a smell from Salina Bay!!) after the hotel you will be looking to turn on the first right (several hundred metres) The road you turn onto is about 300mtrs long with a T junction at the end. Turn right and you will see the Bella Vista Hotel. You are now on the correct road for the Qawra Palace Hotel.. follow the road with a sharp right then left bend going steeply downhill. Keep going and you will go along a kind of dual carriageway just be very careful at the end of it because of people turning across the carriageway and they have to stop because of a blind bend.

Once round the bend you will see the Suncrest Hotel on the left and the Qawra Palace is just after that. You don't say on what day you are arriving but on a Saturday parking is difficult. Just make sure you don't park withing 5 metres of a corner or you will get a ticket from the early morning traffic wardens.

There is another route through Qourmi but in the dark it's a little harder and doesn't give you the essential direction information needed until, in my opinion, too late. You will find Malta poorly signposted compared to home and so you just need to think a little bit harder and take things easier.

Mentioned in this post
Gozo Ferry
Gozo Ferry
2,222 Reviews
Island of Gozo, Malta
Bella Vista Hotel
Bella Vista Hotel
1,921 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Qawra Palace Hotel
Qawra Palace Hotel
2,962 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving at 3am and driving in Malta for first time.

Sorry Ian my 2nd paragraph makes everything seem close together... please remove existing and replace with ...........

You will come into a one way system at the bottom. Follow your nose until you see the sign that has either "Gozo" or "Gozo Ferry" on it. This is the direction you need.

just follow the route and you will go through a tunnel (being careful of the speed camera on the exit!!!!) follow the road down the hill and over the roundabout and make sure you stay left ready for the traffic lights ... keep going and stay on that road it quite literally is the road around the coast .. make sure you stay on your side of the road.

You will pass the water park on your right with a pedestrian light then into "nothingness" apart from a hillside on the left and the sea on the right

Sorry about that

Mentioned in this post
Gozo Ferry
Gozo Ferry
2,222 Reviews
Island of Gozo, Malta
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving at 3am and driving in Malta for first time.

Hi monkey20 ,

My map does not agree with what Scubapro is describing as I chose a different route .

The others including Scubapro ar using the coastroad and going through Marsa , while I am using the Qormi Rabat Main road going towards Targa Gap and Burmarrad.

I know both roads and can help you if required .

Do not worry too much as you cannot get far in Malta .

Also there are GPS maps for Malta for Tom tom and Garmin .

Mentioned in this post
Rabat
Rabat
Island of Malta, Malta
Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving at 3am and driving in Malta for first time.

Any idea where to get the Tom Tom maps as I keep getting told there are none? I have Garmin Europe on my mobile but Malta isn't on there. Best I can get is Nokia maps but then you have to start busting into roaming charges to allow them to work.

Mentioned in this post
TOM
TOM
255 Reviews
Milan, Italy
Europe
Europe
World
Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving at 3am and driving in Malta for first time.

I think the route given by 643amc is a better route providing you have done it before. In the middle of the night and first time I think it is more complicated. I guess it's how adventurous you feel.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
44,996 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving at 3am and driving in Malta for first time.

I'll be pretty annoyed if there ARE TomTom Maps for Malta and having Googled until my fingers and eyes were sore only found hacked ones. I even asked on this forum but got no response other than "you don't need GPS in Malta, get a decent map." So if there is a source for a legitimate set of TomTonm Go maps I'd appreciate it for our next visit.

Sorry, back on topic, I'd go the coastal route as described by scubapro AND watch out for the speed cameras along the way. There are several active ones.

Mentioned in this post
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta