We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with supermarkets please

luton
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
help with supermarkets please

hi we will be staying in a villa in August in Mellieha what is the supermarkets like there do they sell english brands and are there any bigger supermarket around that area please thanks

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with supermarkets please

Supermarkets do sell some English brands but they will be more expensive than local brands e.g. Mullerlight - you can buy 4 for £1 here in the UK, in Malta I saw them at 1.09 euros for just one! The local light brand of yoghurt was about 30 euro cents. Supermarkets also sell Italian brands and the local stuff too. Give the local stuff a go as you will save a pretty packet that way

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with supermarkets please

Diane, I understand your question and yes there are many familiar brands in the supermarkets.

Why is it that the Brits are so insecure they need brands from home for their holidays? Fortunately you are coming to an island with a strong British influence so you will be able to buy everything you need from PG Tips, Marmite, Walkers Crisps and a whole array of recognised products. Obviously these are imported so they will be at least as expensive if not more.

Pavi in Qourmi is arguably the best/most modern supermarket and is part of the French Auchan Group although there are plenty of others and mini-markets around.

luton
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: help with supermarkets please

hi thanks for your reply how fare is that from Mellieha please

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with supermarkets please

Mellieha is in the north of the island. Qormi is bang in the centre. It's not nearby but Malta is only 17 miles long by 9 miles wide, tiny by UK standards, however traffic means it takes a while to get around. You will find supermarkets nearer, there must be something in Mellieha village itself.

Map of Malta to give you an idea:

http://www.malta-map.com/

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,840 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help with supermarkets please

You are dead right Twirl, there is a quite large supermarket in Mellieha. When you come into the village past the large roundabout at the top of the hill there is a modern supermarket about a quarter of a mile on the left, with some rough parking opposite. They have a big range of stuff including a lot of British goods.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help with supermarkets please

It's near the bakery that I really love ... Dives at Cirkewwa almost always go via the bakery mmmmmm

Plenty of supermarkets all over Pavi was just my example of a bigger market. I actually like the one on Burmaraad too.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
42,499 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help with supermarkets please

diane,

If you are staying at the Santa Maria Estate, the supermarket others have referred to, near the Cross Keys Restaurant and Pub (excellent value btw) has a great selection of brands. Sorry I can't remember its name but it is part of a chain with a much larger branch in Naxxar which isn't too far away (and worth a visit for the church and the Palazzo Parisio anyway). We found the one at Burmeraad recommended by Scubapro to be very good and perhaps a bit cheaper with a better selection of wine.

There are now 4 Lidl supermarkets on Malta, if that's of interest as they are probably not English brands, the nearest being I think at San Gwann - see lidl.com.mt/mal/…c.service.s.nst.o.San_Gwann and the map referred to by Twirl to locate them.

I must also commend the bakery mentioned by Scubapro. Super fresh bread and cakes and the famous Maltese pies and pasties. Also it opens 7 days a week.

Norfolk, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help with supermarkets please

We are staying at the Maritim Antonine in Mellieha in January. Is this bakery in the village itself? Might be handy for lunch I thought!!

Pippa

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
42,499 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help with supermarkets please

Hi Pippa,

The Maritim is about half way down the main street in the village going towards the beach. If you follow the road up the hill, go left at the square then right further on, go past Billy's Bar on your left, the il-Mithna Restaurant on your right and the bakery is on your right about 100 metres or so further down. Probably 10 - 15 minute stroll. Well worth it for take outs for lunch - or any meal!!! :)

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: help with supermarkets please

it's at the very top of the hill on the way out of town. Right hand side of the road as you go up. .. Not that far before the bypass roundabout ... still well worth the walk ... And I limp !!!

Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta
Recent Conversations