We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best things to do in Qawra

Lisbon
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Best things to do in Qawra

Hi,

I go next week to Qawra, which are the best things to do in Qawra and in all the island?

Thanks

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best things to do in Qawra

To do in Qawra??? .......Apart from have a nice meal or perhaps go to Fuego at night .... Catch the bus to other parts of the island.

Qawra is a base .. a place to sleep, eat and drink. It's okay to go swimming there and sunbathing. There are a few supermarkets but lots of shops that sell absolute rubbish .. just for holidaymakers ...

I'm sure that you will find plenty of suggestions of things to do on the island depending on your preferences ... let us know them and we will do what we can to suggest ideas

Lisbon
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best things to do in Qawra

Hi,

And what about in the rest of the island?

Which are the most beautiful beaches in Malta?

Thanks.

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best things to do in Qawra

Hi I agree with Scubapro, best thing to do is to get out of Qawra as much as possible and explore this magnificent Island, if you flick through the many topics on here you will compile a lot of place to go and visit.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
10,212 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best things to do in Qawra

One great advantage of staying in Qawra is that it has an excellent bus station. Buses travel to several places. Valletta is about a 50 minute ride away and the rest of the island can be reached from there. Virtually nowhere in Malta is difficult to get to. There is so much to see and do on this small island your biggest problem will be finding enough time to fit it all in. Have a great time. Graham.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,312 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best things to do in Qawra

Well Qawra doesn't have sites as such. But in Qawra itself and neighbouring Bugibba you'll find lots of bars and restaurants and a long Promenade.

see www.starwebmalta.com

Click on Top Questions then

Top questions about Island of Malta and you'll find some useful info.

Also have a look at tripadvisor.com/Travel-g190320-c110167/Islan…

If you want more direct answers do give some more details eg age group, budget, tastes, what you enjoy etc etc

Bugibba, Malta
Level Contributor
743 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best things to do in Qawra

swayziak:

Please disregard what scubapro wrote about Qawra, and take notice of hat776. Personally, if I were a shop owner in Qawra, I would sue scubapro for the insulting accusations he made. As you can see by his photo, his idea of a holiday is being submerged in water, certainly not everyone's choice of a vacation. On the other hand take the advice given by hat776, obviously someone with a good knowledge of Malta. Enjoy your holiday.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best things to do in Qawra

I actually am unable to see on what grounds a shopkeeper would be able to sue me.

Others too agreed about the majority of shops there. By comparison what is sold is typical holiday tat. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of things that people will buy... to either leave in Malta or throw away when they get home or even give as the obligatory gift. Walk into many and you will see things such as spliff smoking Rastafarian models...very .. cultured. But there are several jewelery shops and just a couple of outlet shops that I would visit.

As for my holidaying habits ... well I spend on average about 6 hours of my 24 hour day in Malta diving, teaching and informing other tour divers of the flora, fauna and underwater history that Malta has to offer .. even the unfortunate history of lost Maltese divers at Qawra taking them to the memorials that are around the island. The rest of the time I get out and about to explore an island I have been around hundreds of times looking for a hidden gem.

I can understand you being protective of your region but I do have the advantage of being a tourist nonetheless and the reason tourists come to this forum is to read how it is and not how the holiday brochures tell it.... We have seen the mis-selling thousands of times on this very site.

Qawra is a nice place to go and has a good holiday atmosphere and I should know I've been coming to it for the last 20 years or so and coming to Malta for the last 36. I have promoted the area in hundreds of posts and promoted Malta here and at other sites. I don't have an axe to grind and I will tell it as I see it ... I always have. I am sorry if what I wrote hit a raw nerve but Bugibba is Blackpool with sunshine.

Malta truly is a love it or hate it place and if something is mis-sold then tourists will feel ripped off and come to despise the place. I don't intend to let that happen if I can help it. So please stop being so defensive my remarks were never meant as a critism but more of an observation that some other TOURISTS happened to agree with.

Bugibba, Malta
Level Contributor
743 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best things to do in Qawra

Scubapro:

I note in your reply that you have managed to retrace your remarks, and attempted to cover up some of your gaffs. What shops would you expect to see in a holiday resort? Harrod's, Harvey Nichols or maybe Hamley's. Your comments made Qawra sound like the Gaza Strip with tourists. The poster was asking what were the attractions in Qawra and the island, not to be told their choice of holiday destination was a total waste of time. Why do some of the posters have to use the rubbish quote:

'Blackpool with the sunshine'.

Think of something more original.

Name me a popular holiday destination anywhere that doesn't cater for tourists.

It may not have occured to you, but the poster will not be touring the island at night, and was maybe asking what entertainment there was available in the evening.

Incidentally, I live in St Paul's Bay, but find Qawra/Bugibba very good for entertainment.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best things to do in Qawra

Well if you take a look back I feel fairly sure that I let the OP know that there were places to go in the evening eg Fuego and if I remember rightly eating and drinking were mentioned too

I am not now or at any time trying to backtrack on my remarks. IN MY OPINION many of the shops are selling tat. Poor quality and not very good value for money. Can I think of other tour destinations that are not full of these types of shop? Well I can only speak from experience and not hearsay so let's start with Helsinki, Budapest, Peurto Vallerta Hamilton Bermuda or even Valencia to get started but you really are missing the point. What the OP asked was answered truthfully and was MY OPINION.

How would I be telling the OP that their choice of destination were rubbish? Would that also not be an indictment of my own choice of destination? There are plenty of worse things in the area to bang on about rather than souvenir shops so let's get on and promote Malta.

Blackpool with sunshine may not be original but it is widely used by UK tourists that visit Bugibba. Incidentally I don't find St Pauls Bay tacky and there are many useful shops.

Bugibba, Malta
Level Contributor
743 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best things to do in Qawra

Scubapro:

Let's agree to disagree. It's just that I believe that posters should be a little more conservative with their personal preferences, and give an all round view of the area in question. In the case of Qawra/Bugibba, it happens to be one of the most popular areas in Malta, tat or no tat.

Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta