We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marfa Ridge walks - left or right?

London
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Marfa Ridge walks – left or right?

Hi

On the Sat morning of my long Sept weekend visit I intend to bus it up to Mellieha for a good mooch around (only passed thru on way to ferry in past) then cross the bay to the Marfa Ridge for a bit of a walkabout. However I can’t decide whether to head left past the intriguing Red Tower to the Ras il-Qammieh cliffs then down to Paradise bay……or hang a right down the road heading to the Madonna Statue (? well that's what my map says) possibly cutting down to the bays on the northern shore.

Any preferences? Also am I likely on either walks to come across hunters? They don’t really bother me (I can’t fly!) but I am concerned about ferocious dogs (like the ones encountered on Delimara by myself & the good DrD in April).

Then it’s back south to civilisation after a watering stop at the Red Lion in Bugibba.

Cheers

Ntd

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marfa Ridge walks – left or right?

I was disappointed heading towards Red Tower .. best part was access to watch the lining up of the P29 they sunk ... on that basis .. go the other way then you can tell me what it's like lol

AND it's sort of on the way to the Red Lion

I'm off to L'Aharax on Thursday and see if I can see anything there to head towards.

Seeya soon .

SP1957

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,446 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marfa Ridge walks – left or right?

The Red Tower is not too far to the left so if you want to see it why not go to it and then return and walk along the right hand side of Marfa Ridge. This is the best way to go as there are several cafes by the side of the beaches to stop for refreshments. As for the hunters, when I was there last year I came across two hunters who seemed a little wary of me at first but once I started talking to them they became very friendly and loaded the magazine of their shotgun, handed it to me and let me have go while they hurled stones in the air like clay pigeons. They had no dogs with them. Have a nice walk. Graham

London
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marfa Ridge walks – left or right?

Well that's two for going right.

Scubapro my map has a little snorkel at L'Aharax, so I presume it's a dive site - but stands to reason really, why else would you go there.

Oh dear, ferocious guns rather than ferocious dogs, I'll probably ignore the hunters then.

Cheers

Ntd

west yorks
Level Contributor
188 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marfa Ridge walks – left or right?

Hi Ntd ,

Why not pop down to little Armier bay for a beer and a swim its a lovely little beach at Rays lido , Also we like to think of the Red Lion as been in Qawra its a close call though, ? Were getting bit upmarket now, lol

Enjoy Ntd , Mike

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marfa Ridge walks – left or right?

Actually if you wear something a bit sturdy on your feet L'Aharax is worth a look ... it was a cave at one time but the top collapsed making quite a nice pool. We jump into it but there's only one way out tho .. and guess you're not up for the dive out.

It's like moonscape along there .. very sharp rocks

Gosh I miss this pub :o)

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marfa Ridge walks – left or right?

Hi Ntd.

You could also do part off a walk I did 2 years ago when I walked around the coast of Malta.

You can walk passed the red tower until you are level with the new sewer works below you on your left. Then make your way down hill zig zagging to it. Walk passed the plant on your right at the end you will see a path gently going up hill in front of you. (maybe 20 to 30 mtrs to your left) Follow this path to Anchor bay and Popeye village. from there pick up the road that leads to Manikata. As you walk along the road look out for paths on your right or just cut off right to cliffs and follow to Golden Bay and the bus. ONLY if you have a head for hights and are sure footed. About 200mtrs before the Hotel there is a way down the cliffs to the beach. But be warned it is not for the faint hearted.

Good walking ian480.

PS I did not see any dogs or hunters. But I did see 2 snakes.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marfa Ridge walks – left or right?

That's made my decision for me ... 2 snakes? .. that's 2 more than I'd ever want to see .. can't even watch them on the telly .. in the flesh I'd be sprinting for Britain ...lol

NTD ........ Go the other way !!!!!!!!!

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marfa Ridge walks – left or right?

But I have seen 6 snakes in Britain and a fellow walker was bitten by one as we walked on Nickly Nook in Lancashire.

ian480.

London
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marfa Ridge walks – left or right?

Snakes!!! (I thought mossies were the worst I could encounter) give me a 5ft conger eel any day!

Now Ian I like your route as it ends up at Golden Bay, there's a nice shack/cafe down there where you can catch a cool beer & a cornetto & eye up the beach girlies, but late Sept???

It looks therefore like I'm going to be heading in the direction of Anthrax via Armier Bay, wearing some sensible footwear, a flak jacket & definitely not my RSPB T-shirt!

Mike you're probably right about the Red Lion being in Qawra, and I promise not to watch the "seniors" running for buses as I might just be inside to catch the lunchtime premier league match.

All this fun, & without DrD!

Cheers

Ntd

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Marfa Ridge walks – left or right?

Dear NTD, we have the official MTA Malta walking guides available from the MTA in Valletta and they are excellent, however they are also on the MTA website and this link looks almost exactly like our booklet version, hope you enjoy it.

www.visitmalta.com/ebrochures/Marfa.pdf

Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta