We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dive Luggage on Air Malta

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,654 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Dive Luggage on Air Malta

I've just asked some of these questions on another thread about Air malta and I guess it's one for scubapro. I thought I'd kick off another thread to get some focus on this.

I'm going to be diving in Malta again in December, flying with Air Malta from Gatwick, and I've seen the info at;

http://www.airmalta.com/baggage

which also has a link where you can buy vouchers for sports baggage.

My questions are;

1. Do you have to buy the vouchers in advance or can you simply pay at the airport?

2. Is it more expensive to pay at the airport or is it still 15 euros each way?

One of the issues with paying in advance, I've found, is that the check in staff don't always recognise coupons or vouchers, and start trying to ask you to pay again. I've had this several times with different airlines - sometimes I've paid for a return trip's sports baggage and had a slip of paper, but get told 'that was only one way' so i have to show them it says x2 or 'return' or the money was twice that of a single flight.....

3. Why do they need to see a diving qualification for this (as Scubapro has found) - that's not an issue for me but would be for a friend who may like to learn to dive in Malta (say they borrowed some of my spare kit to take).

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,674 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dive Luggage on Air Malta

Suggest you contact

customercare.airmalta@airmalta.com

and clear your doubts.

In my opinion I would book the vouchers in advance and get proper confirmation .

Do print out any electronic confirmations and keep them in a safe place and possibly in duplicate .

I am sure Scubapro will come in and help you with the rest .

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,674 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dive Luggage on Air Malta

Just reread your post

Yes , it would probably be more expensive if you left it , to the airport check in , not because of the airline , but you could find a checkin person who does not accept your qualification or does not know about this discouted offer.

These things happen and you would have to leave your gear behind , if you are in a hurry or do not want to pay extra !!!

15 euros is the standard charge per flight .

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dive Luggage on Air Malta

The purchase isn't by voucher as such. You simply go to the Air Malta site and purchase the dive allowance. This is then automatically added to your eTicket .. or so I'm told.

It is FAR more expensive to pay at the airport .. the 15kg you get for €15 suddendly jumps to €150 or thereabouts. I know I got a "benefit of the doubt" alloance on the return of 10kg for showing my flypass membership .. just as well because I have started moving some gear out of Malta ..so needed it (I was prepared to have to pay for it but the check-in guy asked me to say a prayer for him!!)

The certificate was only wanted at Gatwick and they said it was to show entitlement as a diver although I do think the question of a learner is very valid. This was only the 2nd time it was needed.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dive Luggage on Air Malta

On a lighter note:

I was in a group of divers with a different airline (the now defunct Excel) flying to Egypt. We had vouchers for our dive gear which suddenly were "not recognised" at check in and we were being asked to pay silly amounts to transport our gear. After a small conference among ourselves we started to unpack our bags and started to don the kit ...thankfully it had the right result and the vouchers were then reinstated ... just as well as it would have been really uncomfortable on the plane!!

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,654 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dive Luggage on Air Malta

OK - thanks guys for the inputs - there's 'misleading' comment the one on the Air Malta website that says something about being careful to not loose the voucher as those without have to pay 15 euros, which is the same as not having one in the first place....

Scubapro - noted about the excel issues - my mates and a dive buddy were caught up in that, but didn't actually make it beyond the bar at Gatwick - they were supposed to go on a liveaboard last year - coach at 4 AM all the way from Ipswich only to learn about the airline collapse at the check in desk.... Blue O two gave them another trip though, and it got sorted - I joined them on the re-planned trip this year.....

I've heard of guys wearing BCDs stuffed full of gear though airports to overcome luggage allowances....

I'll pre book my 2 vouchers a few days before and hope they get accepted at check in - I won't take any cylinders (not even a buddy emergency bottle for a BC) as that cause further issues at X ray>>>>>

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dive Luggage on Air Malta

"After a small conference among ourselves we started to unpack our bags and started to don the kit ...thankfully it had the right result and the vouchers were then reinstated ... just as well as it would have been really uncomfortable on the plane!!"

Scubapro - thanks for this, I've had such a laugh imagining all these guys sitting on the plane in full dive gear!!!

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dive Luggage on Air Malta

I still know one diver that is keen on underwater videography that goes through check in looking decidedly knobbly as he wears a hunting waistcoat (with multiple pockets)and stuffs them with batteries and all of his other sundries ... pray you never get stuck behind him at security !!!

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dive Luggage on Air Malta

g0akc I know you are a fan of divedeepblue but did you know that Buddies has now been taken over?

I can only remember her name is Karen and that he is a course director. You may have seen them around before as they did their Malta apprenticeship working at other places before buying Buddies.

I'm usually pretty set in my ways when I go to Malta and have had my run-ins over the years with some of the established companies that really would want me to not be there (I am not taking their work however, all of mine comes from a Dutch website) but have to say Karen saved a dive for me at Anchor Bay. I had just got into the water with my students and was resetting my mask when the strap broke. A little miffed I was just abandoning the dive and getting the others out when Karen saw the predicament and asked then loaned me a spare mask !! I was utterly amazed and the first time an offer of help had come from an established company. I cannot praise the camaradary(sp?) enough and has renewed my faith in Maltese dive operators. I know there are a number of them that wouldn't dream of helping and would have laughed their socks off at my misfortune.

I can now confidently say that Karen and Buddies is on my Christmas card list. I will continue to use my regular supplier of air/lead and any hire needs but if Buddies looks after their clients as well as I think they do maybe you'll want to give them a look .. especially as it's only a few doors along.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,674 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dive Luggage on Air Malta

Hi g0akc

Do try and book your vouchers at least a week before you fly .

I will PM and explain.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,654 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dive Luggage on Air Malta

Hi Scubapro - thanks for the tip and I'll bear them in mind.

I'm planning to dive with my favourite, Aquaventure, who are based at the Mellieha Bay Hotel. Since it's 'low season' I expect, or suspect, I'll be diving with one of the owners, Paul, or one of their staff instructors as a guide.

I'll be staying in Sliema (a bit more going on of an evening there, and my wife prefers the shopping) but Aquaventure pick me up.

Good when the dive centres help each other out though - I was diving at Cirkewwa a couple of years ago when one of our guys (well, a girl's) HP hose burst as we were kitting up. One of the Maltese instructors from another dive shop (I think it may have been Seashell) soon offerred a spare hose.

Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta