We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sports baggage on Air Malta

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,993 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Sports baggage on Air Malta

Further to the topic on dive luggage, I've just booked sports bag 'excess luggage' vouchers on Air Malta for an upcoming trip.

My booking is for diving equipment but you can book for other gear, such as golf clubs. There's a link to 'sports Baggage' on the Air Malta home page.

Booking online was fairly painless, though they wanted info such as passport number (so have all that to hand when booking). I had to complete the forms twice, for outbound and return flight.

The price is quoted as 15 euros per bag/flight but you can pay in other currencies (look for the choose currency buttons to the left of the online form). It was £11.34 in sterling, which represents a favourable exchange rate - I wish I could get the same for the whole holiday!

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sports baggage on Air Malta

We used the vouchers for an additional dive bag on our recent trip. With the extra 32kg of allowance it was very easy to pack, all the heavy stuff went in the dive bag. Despite being brand new and shiny the dive bag made both flights without damage and all its contents intact, including some heavy Mdina glass on the return flight.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sports baggage on Air Malta

Be careful if you are connecting with a non IATA LC airline as these do not have the same rules for Excess baggage ...example for one famous low cost airline

Each passenger is permitted to check- in up to a maximum of 2 bags (each bag is permitted a maximum weight of 15 kilos) subject to the payment of the applicable checked baggage fees. Checked baggage can be reserved online at the time of booking or via a **** call centre up to 4 hours prior to the scheduled flight departure (subject to call centre opening hours) or up to 40 minutes prior to the scheduled flight departure time at the airport.

The checked baggage fees are charged per person/per one way flight. Discounted rates apply online the first 15 kilo checked bag is charged at £ 15/€ 15 and the second 15 kilo checked bag at £ 35/€ 35. If checked baggage fees are paid for either at the airport or through a ******** call centre, the higher rate of £ 35/€ 35 for the first 15kg bag and £ 70/€ 70 for the second 15kg bag applies.

No pooling or sharing of baggage allowances is permitted, even within a party travelling on the same reservation. Each checked bag is permitted a maximum 15kgs allowance. In the event that you are travelling with 2 checked bags please be aware that no pooling of individual checked bag allowance is permitted (each bag is permitted a maximum weight of 15 kilos).

Any passenger exceeding their 15kg personal checked baggage allowance per bag will be charged the prevailing fee on the day of travel. The excess baggage fee is currently charged at the rate of £ 20/€ 20 per kilo (or local currency equivalent).

Enjoy it while you can !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,993 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sports baggage on Air Malta

Useful info from 643amc. In my case they are direct flights with Air Malta - Gatwick to Malta and return, no connections.

The info you've posted appears to relate to Ryanair - they do also have a sports bag booking facility, which is much cheaper than paying by the kilo, but is a bit more than Air Malta - but they do have a generous carry on allowance, so I for one have simply used sports bag plus carry on (no separate hold bag) when travelling with them to Malta...

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sports baggage on Air Malta

I have talked to people who tried Tripalots trick to get past the excess on such flights. It works coming to Malta , but then going back they are caught out as not carrying "sports" goods and had to pay the full excess fees , which were higher than the whole holiday tickets .

Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
629 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sports baggage on Air Malta

Ha I know what you mean Tripalot, dive boots are perfect for the carriage of small pieces of Mdina glass! And we always seem to use hubby's wetsuit as high impact padding for larger pieces too!!

We nearly got caught out last Nov, as when we booked our flight in June 08, 20kg of sports equipment was still FOC. Going out we weren't questioned about having sports equipment, but coming back they wanted to charge us €15. In the end rather than call it sports equipment, they just let us put three bags through between the two of us.

The reason we always use Airmalta is they have not (as yet) questioned our heavy bags going home. We are coming over for Mdina's sale this year, so are going to be trusting a lot of our purchases to Maltapost and the good old Royal Mail :-(

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sports baggage on Air Malta

Ma and Pa

You could contact Airmalta and check it in as accompanied cargo at a good rate too. Have to check thr rates ,as not sure if it is cheaper ??will phone a couple of old friends if I have the time .

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sports baggage on Air Malta

Indeed my extra baggage was mainly sports equipment, since fins, BCD's, wetsuits, towels, etc take up a lot of room and their purpose is obvious. Other items were packed in spare gaps, and could have been removed if necessary. We would not have used this facility had we been using a non air malta connecting flight for the reasons mentioned above.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sports baggage on Air Malta

Ma and Pa Boathouse please be careful with your weight this year since last year we were 6kg over (between 3 persons) and they wanted to charge us for it, luckily we just removed large items into our hand luggage and it was ok. This trip we didn't mind paying 15 Euro each way for the sports bag since we would not have to try and pack our sports gear in our 20kg pp luggage allowance, and in addition to the dive bag we only took 2 small cases (only 2 persons this year) which were well under the allowed weight for stowed luggage. We also took a small cabin wheely bag which in addition to expensive dive equipment (computer and regs) also fitted 2 large glass vases and 4 smaller items (yes we splurged in the glass shop at Mdina) which we took on the plane. Weight restrictions would be fine if it wasn't for the shopping!!

Enjoy the Mdina glass sales, I must try to visit at sale time too..........

Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
629 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Sports baggage on Air Malta

Hi again.

Thanks Tripalot, I think we may have become too complacent regarding the excess baggage, so will try to be careful. Going out will be fine, as we are planning to take out more bubble wrap than clothes. We buy for for resale, (as well as for myself) so do have to keep an eye on costs.

Amc We did ask the Mdina girls about shipping glass back in April, and were told the post office was the cheapest way. €10.65 for the first kg but then €1.75 per kg after that up to 20kg, we are looking at sending approx 15kg parcels to make it pay so approx €2.35 a kilo at that size. I don't know about accompanied cargo? I did just try to look and could only find about full blown cargo, I also looked at excess baggage and was quoted €200 for a 16 -20kg bag, so that's not viable unless your a popstar!! Regards Trisha

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sports baggage on Air Malta

Ma

Try sending an email to cargo.operations@airmalta.com

I will try to find out for you but rather busy right now !

Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta