We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how and where to go

toronto
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
how and where to go

Hi, My boyfriend and I are hoping to head to Malta in February after a business trip in Glasgow. We are not sure the best way have getting to Malta and where to go (eg. Sliema, Valleta etc.) we like history, hiking, good food, and a quiet evening stroll. We were also thinking of staying in a rental apartment for something different. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how and where to go

I don't think there are flights to Malta from Glasgow. You would have to travel to Edinburgh or Newcastle. Ryanair fly from Edinburgh and Easyjet from Newcastle. You could get a train to Edinburgh or Newcastle then a taxi (or the metro in Newcastle) to the airport. Check out Ryanair and Easyjet's websites for flight times and prices.

Type apartment rental or something similar into the seach box and you will come up with previous posts about rentals. I know people have recommended websites but can't remember them off the top of my head.

In February I would stay in either Sliema, St Julians or Valletta though the latter tends to be bustling during the day and then pretty dead at night. Sliema and St Julian's are very near Valletta so you can easily travel to Valletta during the day then head back to Sliema for your evenings there. Both Sliema and St Julian's have a long promenade all along the coast, great for strolling along and with plenty of bars and restaurants all along it.

Have a look at the top questions on the right hand side of the forums page for some ideas then come back with more questions

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how and where to go

Hi Twirl

You are spot on with advice and I cannot add much to your perfect reply.

Suggest if the poster is adventureous , he could hop with a flight to London and then have a good choice of cheap flights , plus a day in London .

For a few euros more , you can have more choice of dates and flights , since EDI and NCL fligths are not that frequent .

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how and where to go

643 I suppose that's a possibility since OP is in Glasgow and would have to travel to Edinburgh or Newcastle anyway but it does increase the cost, having to catch two flights and going to London by train with all that luggage is a nuisance

london, Uk
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: how and where to go

Hi, from Scotland flies the ryanair from Edinburgh. Reagrding the place where to stay is almost insignificant in Malta as it is so small Malta that everything is with in reach, however Sliema, St. Julians, Bugibba and St. Pauls Bay are Major resorts in Malta. Regarding accommodation you have ample choice, your decisions depends mainly on your budget. If you are looking for an upscale, luxury hotel I would recommend Hilton Malta in St. Julians or Exelsior in Valletta.

If you are on tight budget or not fussy or the accommodation is not a major priority during your holiday I would recommend the Shamrock Apartments in Bugibba, St. Pauls Bay which offer basic, no frills apartments, however clean, safe, centrally located, have a swimming pool and offered at very cheap price.

Regarding History, Malta is an open Museum, becareful to plan ahead over the internet so that you can visit yje most prominent place as a week is not enough. Must visit Places are Valletta, Mdina, Hypogeum (unique in the world), Hagar Qim and Mnajdra Temples which are older than the Pyramids of Eygpt and the Stone Hengde in England.

Good Cuisine I would recommed Valletta

5. Re: how and where to go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta