We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire

London
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire

Hi, I'm off to Malta at the end of Sept and am staying in Valletta for 5 days then going to Gozo for 7. I'm looking to rent a car. I'm intending to go back to the airport to collect the car after my Valletta stay as I can't find any company who will deliver to an apartment. Anyway not a problem really. My real question is that I've found Economy Car Hire and it looks great but they unusually ask you to pay for a half tank of petrol and return the car empty! Has anyone had this before? Do they overcharge for the petrol? We usually get a full tank and then return it full. Not sure which way is the best way. Any comments on this would be really grateful. The prices seem incredibly cheap!!! Many thanks

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire

I have used Economy Car Hire a few times.

I know you pay "up front" for it and then I think it is €15 for the "half tank" paid locally.I have to say I'm not a fan of this especially as you have no guarantee that it is half a tank. I usually get the car back on fumes.

There has been a couple if instances with cars hired via ECH. On all occasions I have ended up choosing a car from Budget (which is part of Avis) and twice when I have got home found there have been charges made to my credit card by Budget. The first occasion I didn't really take too much notice as I thought perhaps I may have been done for speeding or something (which I didn't think I had done) .. I paid the bill. On my next visit the same thing happened but the amount, after exchange rates were made the amount was unusual. I tried to query it with Budget but got the run around so I contacted American Express whose card I prefer to use. I was refunded my account immediately and they made the investigations. Budget were unable to identify the charge and it was waived. It also happened on the next visit where I went straight to Amex for the refund and again there was no explaination so did not have to pay.

These charges have nothing to do with ECH and it only has happened with Budget Car Hire. I have used ECH to hire from Aquarius and had no problem.

It may well be that there were indeed errors but 3 times in a row?

I have ALWAYS taken photographs of both the interior and exterior of the vehicles when returned and either left them empty or full as per the hire agreement. I also take a photo of the mileage clock. As is usual with cars picked up at the airport it is not unusual for you to go find your car in the car park. If I find damage on the vehicle (even though you are covered by the insurance) I will photograph it and call the hire desk from the car park.

I know I have deviated slightly from your initial question but feel that it's a good idea to be protected no matter who you hire from. Make sure that the card you use has protection for "services or goods paid for but not provided"

London
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire

Many thanks for your help. I think I'll give it a go. Car hire can always be a bit hit and miss! I'll see if I can avoid Budget! How do you get to choose which Company you hire from? Your idea about taking photos is one I'll definately do in case of any problem! Thanks again

3. Re: Car Hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2011, 07:23
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta