We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madrid to Malta in May without killing a whole day!

Prescott AZ
Level Contributor
196 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Madrid to Malta in May without killing a whole day!

Need to get to Malta from Madrid in May. Before booking the Spain portion of my itinerary, I misread Air Malta's schedule. Yikes! Didn't realize flights go through Frankfurt (6-hr layovers), takes 9-11 hrs depending on departure time, arrives almost 10pm. Vueling takes 8 hrs thru Rome (5 hr layover), arrives Malta 9pm. I'm a seasoned solo independent travel & TA fan, very fit for 65+, but hoping to find a more direct way to get there (earlier).

Last resort, thought about going to Sicily first since that would have been my next stop after Malta. But I'm already too deep into my search for Malta accommodations to be changing dates. I'm stressing out. Please help!

Edited: 15 February 2011, 21:48
Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madrid to Malta in May without killing a whole day!

jerseygirl Ryanair have a direct flight on the 14th return 19 th of May about €70 plus any baggage about €120 all in have flights on several other days as well.

Prescott AZ
Level Contributor
196 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madrid to Malta in May without killing a whole day!

wrappido -- thanks for "rapid" response.

Looking for Sunday, the 15th. Since you got the info so quickly, could you please take another look for that date? Meanwhile, I'll give Ryanair a search on my own. Could you please send me their URL, or did you search under "cheap flights?" I prefer not to search that way.

Edited: 15 February 2011, 23:16
Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madrid to Malta in May without killing a whole day!

search under ryanair flights from madrid to malta or any other airport they fly into from Madrid and then back to Malta.

Prescott AZ
Level Contributor
196 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madrid to Malta in May without killing a whole day!

No Ryanair flights Madrid to Malta on May 15 (or 16). Unable to change my departure date from the 15th (long story), but thanks anyway for the Ryanair referral. Still stuck!

Any others out there?

Edited: 16 February 2011, 03:38
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Madrid to Malta in May without killing a whole day!

Airmalta can offer Madrid via Munich 07:40 10:15 , and Munich to Malta 11:10 13:25 . Only 5 hours 45 minutes !

change your FRAnkfurt ticket !

Welcome to Malta

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madrid to Malta in May without killing a whole day!

Do not know why the Airmalta website only gives the Frankfurt option , but the mentioned flights exist .

LH 1807 operated by Lufthansa ,and KM 309 operated by Airmalta .

Should be faster and cheaper than via Frankfurt.

Funny glitch in website booking engine .

Welcome to Malta

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Madrid to Malta in May without killing a whole day!

You could also look at KLM since they have flights to Malta connecting in Amsterdam, URL http://www.klm.com/travel/es_en or possibly fly via Paris with Air France.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Madrid to Malta in May without killing a whole day!

Good suggestions Tripalot , but if you check the date it will take 9 to 10 hours via Amsterdam and 3 flights via Paris as no direct flight .

Take care

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Madrid to Malta in May without killing a whole day!

Hi jersey

If you want to spend the 15 in Madrid , you could leave late and arrive in Malta at 2105 . Get here in 5 hours !!!!

Check Iberia via Rome and www.Airmalta.com

Mad Fco 1605 1825

FCO mla 1935 2105

Lots of options

Edited: 16 February 2011, 15:06
Prescott AZ
Level Contributor
196 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Madrid to Malta in May without killing a whole day!

Thanks amc and others. Leaving late on 15th still gets me intoMalta at 2105, which I'm trying to avoid in case there are glitches with car pickup, finding property owners, etc. My Australian friend ran into these problems with her late PM arrival.

The 7:40am flight sounds good but wondering how early I'd have to leave downtown Madrid to have enough time for boarding without a last-minute rush & stress. I'd rather arrive with extra time to find my way, etc. Would train be better than cab (traffic)?

Stay tuned. I will also.

Edited: 16 February 2011, 15:40
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta