We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay if walking is a problem?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
41 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay if walking is a problem?

We would love to go to Malta for a weeks visit, but are not sure where to stay. One of us have some problems walking, but we would still like to enjoy local restaurants, taking busses to see sights etc. Not wheelchair bound, but distance and hills can be a problem. We would like to find an ok hotel, preferably with free internet in the room and ok breakfast. Any advice?

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,046 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay if walking is a problem?

I would suggest Sliema lovely long Promonade all on the flat lots of Cafes and Restaurants on the way you can walk all the way up to Spinola Bay or along Sliema harbour and you can pick up the bus fairly easy into Valetta or up for the Ferry. You also have plenty of hotels on the route and the HO/HO bus on the same run.Have a look at the Park Hotel has internet maybe a small charge lift to all floors and a pool on the roof as well as indoors.The breakfast is not bad and some rooms are apartements with Scotts supermarket up the road.

Lymm, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
284 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay if walking is a problem?

I also have the same problem, but would like to stay somewhere which is a little quieter, preferably a small fishing village where one gets the opportunity to meet the locals, and learn about the real Malta.

Any information would be very useful

Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay if walking is a problem?

Why not take a look at Marsascala, could be for you.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
41 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay if walking is a problem?

Thank you!

I didn't like the reviews of the Park that much, are there other hotels near the promenade that are close to both restaurants and buss stops etc?

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay if walking is a problem?

Well actually Sliema is a residential town though it has all the amenities a tourist would require . And locals from all over Malta frequent the bars and restaurants so you would be meeting locals.

There isn't a vast choice of accomodation in Marsaxlokk.

Along the Sliema Promenade there are the Preluna, Tower Palace, Plaza. Also the Meridien.

From the Promenade there is a short hill down to the Ferries area where are shops, hoho bus, harbour cruises , bars and restaurants. In that area you'll find the Fortina, Sliema, Waterfront amongst

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
41 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay if walking is a problem?

I can get a good price reduction at le Meredien, would that be a good spot as a base? Will there be busses close by?

I've seen that the Juliani hotel gets rave reviews here, how is that area for restaurants, bars, closeness to busses etc?

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay if walking is a problem?

Le Meridien is just off the Promenade and the Juliani is on the Sea Front. Both are near to the bus routes. But the Juliani has more restaurants near by.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
41 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay if walking is a problem?

Thank you!

I'm afraid that the more information I get, the more questions I have... It is hard to make up my mind, but these forums have been a great help.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,046 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay if walking is a problem?

Le Meridian is a lovely hotel and if you walk out the back door down a slight hill you are beside the Peperoncino lovely restaurant or walk across the road to Barracuda nice indoor and outdoor pool with great Breakfast.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
41 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay if walking is a problem?

Thank you,

I'm torn between the Le Meredien and the Juliani. I would like a few bars, cafes, restaurant close by, but at the same time I would prefere somewhere I don't need to climb to many hills. And I do like that the Juliani seems to have free internet. We are thinking of using the on and off busses as well as regular busses, since we are not to sure about renting and driving on the "wrong" side of the road :-)

Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta