We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused re Hotel and Region

London
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Topic
Confused re Hotel and Region

Hi all,

I am going to be in Malta for a week with my wife and 1 year old son end of April.

We have not been before and are looking for a ncie hotel with easy access to a sandy beach.

We are not looking to hire a car either.

I have read all the reviews / reports / forums but am now very ocnfused.

I would like a nice hotel and understand the nicer beaches are up north.

Everyone speaks of Sliema and St Julians but it seems sandy beaches are not in walking distance here?

nay help will be appreciated.

thanks

Glasgow
Level Contributor
517 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused re Hotel and Region

Melliah might suit you very good beach. Beach gets very crowded peak season but April should be OK

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,338 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused re Hotel and Region

There is a small sandy beach in St Julians called St Georges Bay.

This is in walking distance but is quite small.

As you say most of the beaches are in the north of the island the best , and biggest , being Mellieha Bay. It is a very large and safe beach popular with families and has sports such as paragliding etc.

The Mellieha Bay Hotel is situated quite close to the beach with maybe a ten minute stroll to it.

Remember that Malta is very small and so nowhere if very far away by the regular cheap bus service.

Graham.

3. Re: Confused re Hotel and Region

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2015, 18:29
London
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused re Hotel and Region

thanks for the input and thanks Walter for the suggestion.

I guess the main difficulty I am having is location.

we prefer sandy beaches but with a 1 year old would also be good to be within walking distance of the beach.

staying up north i believe are the sandier beaches, but are we better off in st julians / mellieha? which would you recommend?

many many thanks!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
517 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused re Hotel and Region

The Mellieha bay beach is excellent safe big and good quality sand, the water stays very shallow for quite a long distance from the shore -- hence is gets nice and warm.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused re Hotel and Region

If you were going in the summer I'd say stay in Mellieha but because you are going at the end of April and the weather is not guaranteed then, I'd say stay at one of the St Julian's hotels near St George's Bay. This way you will have thebest of both worlds - near to a sandy beach if the weather is good enough but also near to the long promenade, bars, restaurants and shops.

Corinthia Marina, Corinthia San Gorg, Radisson St Julian's and Westin Dragonara are all within easy walking distance of St George's Bay

Sea temperature is pretty cold at the end of April - too cold for me to swim in

7. Re: Confused re Hotel and Region

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 01:21
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta