We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June 7th

Kent, England
Level Contributor
233 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
June 7th

Is there a national holiday on June 7th? If so what is it and will there be celebrations? Will touristy things still be open?

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,438 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June 7th

The seventh of June is an annual national holiday that commemerates the food riots that led to four deaths in 1919.

Most places will be open and public transport will be running as usual.

Graham.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
233 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June 7th

Are there festivals or fireworks?

3. Re: June 7th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 April 2011, 11:29
Kent, England
Level Contributor
233 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June 7th

I didn't mean to cause offense.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,438 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June 7th

Because of the nature of the commemoration i.e the death of four people this isn`t a happy fun type of ceremony like the village religious festas that are held all over Malta.

I believe it consists of flower laying and last post sounding -- not a joyous event.

Graham.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
233 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June 7th

How can I remove that question?

I emailed the other half of our holiday party and said that when planning our itinerary that they needed to bear in mind that June 7th was a bank holiday. I hadn't explained yet what the day was for. Their response assumed that it was a happy celebration and they asked if there would be fireworks or festivals and I just said, I will ask.

I hadn't thought about it properly.

I feel terrible and cannot apologise enough. If I can get my post removed then I will much happier.

Apologies.

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: June 7th

Dear Parren 75 you caused no offence your question was totally reasonable, it's me that should apologise it wasn't the right place to state my views on colonial rule, I will ask the mods to remove my post as inappropriate, I hope you have a great time in Malta, early June is lovely as not always too hot, please tell me where are you staying and let me know if you need any questions answering, once again my aplogies to everyone for my badly judged and hot headed comments, one would think at 46 that I would of learned to keep my big gob shut by now.

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: June 7th

No Parren , please leave your post it is perfectly reasonable, I was the one out of order I have asked for mine to be removed as it is inapproriate apologies once more.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
233 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: June 7th

Siggiewi4 you don't need to apologise. I should have thought more about my question in the first place.

My friends and I were recently reading of all of the lovely festivals that take place in Malta and was hoping that the June 7th holiday may be one of them.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,438 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: June 7th

As Siggiewi says . I am sure no offence will be taken.

Malta has dozens of festas and celebrations . most of which are wonderfull happy events with bands. fireworks and lots of high calorie fattening lovely food and good quantities of beer .

Unfortunately this was the one main exception.

Have a great holiday.

Graham.

Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta