We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Main sights - must see

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
983 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Main sights - must see

Hi all,

I am planning a day for Valletta and would like to know which are the main sights of the city (altough we have a good idea) and what we shoudn't miss.

Starting from Valletta bus station, on foot, how long would it take?

and, which are the must see outside of Valletta?

Thanks in advance

Sal

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,674 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Main sights - must see

Depends a lot on your tastes and likes !

I would not miss the Upper Barrakka view and the noon gun salute . Next would be St Johns Cathedral , followed by the museum next door . After then I would visit the Armoury and later the Archeological museum from where I would get a radio guided tour of Valletta on foot . If I have time left I would wander down Merchant street to the open Market and also the Suq , to buy some local bread and get the shopkeeper to make me a tomato paste and olive oil roll , with Tuna and maltese cheeslet , plus a bottle of local Rose wine !!!Just behind the Suq there is a small bar/restaurant where I used to go for spagetti al bolognese in my youth ...cannot remeber the name ?

Lots more to see but a day is too short for Valletta ,,,,Waterfront ,Warrooms , Malta Experience , Lower Barrakka , The Bell tower , Manoel theatre..the list goes on !

Anywhere in Valletta is 10 minutes away from anywhere else in Valletta IMO

Edited: 19 July 2011, 21:05
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,674 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Main sights - must see

My friend and TA Expert HAT has made a very good FAQ about Valletta which more than covers about everything

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g190328-c109893/Valle…

There is an electric car rental service if you get tired in Valletta which you can phone up and they will take you anywhere for a few euros

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
983 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Main sights - must see

Thanks 643,

sounds good and just what we looking for.

Excluding the archeological sights, is there anything outside the city that we shouldn't miss?

Sal

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Main sights - must see

MDINA is a must & all that you can see there eg the dungeons, the cathedral, refreshments at Fontanella Tea Gardens. the Pallazo Falzon - love just walking around.

3 CITIES esp Vittirosa (Birgu) lovely blds, fantastic Maritime Museum, bastions etc I did see a little bus that was taking ppl around but didnt get the name of it - experts do you know what I am talking about. It gave a commentary and it would save on the legs.

Palace Paradisio (Naxxar) we thought this was well laid out and the gardens looked lovely.

You need more than a day in Valletta to see all - one could spend a couple of hours looking thru St James Palace & the Armory even St Johns CoCathedral is worth an hour or so.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,282 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Main sights - must see

The Top Questions should help you out.

I would add

The Island of Gozo

Blue Lagoon in Comino (if you're coming in Summer)

Blue Grotto in Zurrieq

Catacombs in Rabat near Mdina

WWll underground shelter in Birgu/Vittoriosa

War Museum in Valletta

the list is long - I really recommend you reading the FAQ

6. Re: Main sights - must see

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta