We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do cruise ships visit daily?

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
157 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Do cruise ships visit daily?

We will be visiting Malta September 21, staying in Sliema. I would like to take the ferry and do a walking tour of Valletta when it is not too crowded. Can anyone tell me if cruise ships arrive daily or on a regular schedule (Monday, Wednesday, Friday, for example)? Also, is it true the ferry stops service at 6 pm between the two towns?

Thank you for any information!

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,385 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do cruise ships visit daily?

I think you would be better taking a bus to Valletta ( 15 minute ride ) and then get the ferry back across to Sliema.

The reason i say this is that getting from the ferry up to Valletta centre involves a long hard uphill climb that is almost guaranteed to cause heart failure ---or at least a lot of puffing and panting.

Going down to the ferry is a lot easier with gravity on your side.

Cruise ships don`t come into Valletta every day but some come each week.

Valletta is a delightfull place to walk around and it doesn`t get that busy.

Not sure about ferry times ---- sorry.

Enjoy your time in Malta.

Graham

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do cruise ships visit daily?

Thank you, Graham, you are going to spoil me!

I do hate the crowds though, and wonder if anyone has any ideas on how I can possibly track down a schedule? A week really gives me time to do most things quite leisurely. On the other hand, I can always find a cafe and people watch.

Thank you again.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,385 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do cruise ships visit daily?

Even when the cruise ships come in Valletta doesn`t seem to get too busy.

The main street ( Republic St. ) and the Upper Barrakka Gardens get very crowded but the narrow side streets can be fairly quiet.

There are lots of little cafes and bars where you can relax and get your breath back and blood pressure normal if you walked up from the ferry .

It`s nice just to sit and enjoy watching the world go by.

Sit and spend some time in the Upper Barrakka Gardens and enjoy the wonderfull views over Grand Harbour and watch the firing of the noon cannon.

You can certainly spend more than a day exploring the " City built by gentlemen for gentlemen "

Graham

London, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Do cruise ships visit daily?

There is a cruise ship schedule on the Valletta Waterfront website.

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do cruise ships visit daily?

Agree with graham here. Don't worry yourself about cruise ships as in my many visits to valletta I found it to be more of a locals place just enjoying the city and the shopping. As graham said, republic st does get busy but It's not over powering. Merchant st which runs parallel to republic st is a lot quieter with still some stunning buildings and quaint little shops and cafes etc. You can weave your way down to the grand harbour from here as well to check for yourself weather a ship is in lol.

Have fun.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do cruise ships visit daily?

This is the schedule , and there is a ship or two every day except the 22nd according to the schedule .

vallettawaterfront.com/ScheduleDetail.aspx…

Still, I would not worry too much about crowds , as many cruise passengers are taken on tours of the island and do not stick around in Valletta all day .

Plan your day and join the tours for free !

The 21 st is Independence Day and there will be activities and parades in Valletta to mark the occasion .

Welcome to Malta

Edited: 02 September 2011, 20:53
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do cruise ships visit daily?

And yes the Valletta Ferry last trip is at 6 .

www.vallettaferryservices.com/schedule.html

Take Grahams good advice and use the ferry from Valletta not to Valletta ...the busesa re better to use to get to the City.

London, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Do cruise ships visit daily?

Sorry to disagree with the experts. We prefer to take the ferry service to Valletta rather than suffer the overcrowded buses. We always go in July and the climb is no big deal for people in good health who enjoy walking at whatever pace. An alternative way to Republic Street is to walk along the harbour and after 10 minutes or so, go through an archway (road bridge) then along the narrow streets towards the bottom end of Republic Street. Continuing round the harbour is also a great way to enjoy the weather and have a different perspective of the city if you don't mind clambering over a few boulders in places; there will be no crowds at all.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do cruise ships visit daily?

Valletta is built on a peninsular hill. The centre with the Cathedral, Palace, Main Roads, Barakka Gardens are, naturally enough on the flat top.

When we say there is a hill to walk up if you get the ferry from Sliema - it is a hill which many residents walk up daily. Most prefer to get a bus to Valletta and the ferry back to Sliema but if you prefer to do it both ways, it's not an impossible climb.

The Cruise Ship passengers don't take over Valletta so I don't think you should bother too much about them.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,385 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do cruise ships visit daily?

I must admit that the climb up from the ferry to the city centre does depend upon your level of fitness and the weather.

I might do it slowly when the weather is mild but wouldn`t try in the height of summer .

Graham

Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta