We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malta at Christmas

ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Malta at Christmas

My husband and I (both retired, but lively) want to spend Christmas in Malta. We would like a very nice hotel (even 5 star) but nothing starchy. We don't even know which town would suit us best. We would like to make friends etc during our week. Any suggestions? Also any ideas on concerts or operas? and will there be a complete 'shut-down' of shops, theatres etc for Dec 25, 26, 27? All help very welcome.

Molamh

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
7,933 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malta at Christmas

Malta is wonderful at Christmas book your Christmas dinner in advance with your hotel bus run on a slightly changed schedule one of the other D/e will be able to fill you in on that. If you go through the options top left you will find lots to do make sure you get to see the crib show in Valetta will have to check for you the address.I think Sliema or St Julians would suit you best you are on the main bus route to Valetta and the ferry to Gozo lots of restaurants and nice pubs like the Dubliner.have a look at Booking.Com for prices of the Juliani or Le Meridian might get a good deal and unless you get a exceptional deal and have to pay in advance otherwise you pay when you are leaving. I personally like the Park Hotel in Sliema as they have some apartements and the supermarket is up the road.

You will enjoy Malta and the Christmas sun jumper for the evenings.

Mellieha, Malta
Level Contributor
443 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malta at Christmas

Christmas is lovely in malta..We are in Mellieha and i do have to say its more in keeping with the true meaning of christmas with a proper christmas feel with a full week of celebrations and carols and hymns, live nativity, full display of precpiju (nativity scenes home made in pasta and rice etc) midnight mass, christmas breakfast at midnight under the tree with christmas father...and its the only time i have ever been served second at the bar only to be beaten by a donkey.... great fun in the church square with the church all lit up and a sight to see for sure.

have fun and enjoy it to the max

ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malta at Christmas

Thank you for your very helpful reply. All is grist to the decision-making mill!! Does anyone have news of concerts around Christmas. We will probably stay in Malta from 23 to 30 Dec, maybe even until early January. k

ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malta at Christmas

Thank you for your very helpful reply. We will look into Mellieha but as Valetta is the world heritage site, we thought it better to be near there i.e. Sliema or St Julian. But perhaps we are very wrong. Having never been to Malta, it is difficult to find out.

Mellieha, Malta
Level Contributor
443 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malta at Christmas

it does depend on what you want out of your holiday and stay while you are here....but either way you will enjoy christmas and all malta has to offer during the festive season maybe try visiting mellieha as the festivities are at night each evening on the build up to christmas.

Sliema and St Julians has its own delights - it is a very cosmopolitan area with many italian influences not to mention the tal pepe It is also nice at christmas albeit much more lively - just stay clear of the paceville area at night, it is very boisterous rowdy and more for the young clubbers.

ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malta at Christmas

Thanks for update. How far is it from Mellieha to Valetta? Is there an OK bus service?

Mellieha, Malta
Level Contributor
443 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malta at Christmas

its probably about 15-16 miles - there is a bus service but its far from perfect at the moment

East Lyme...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Malta at Christmas

Our family is traveling to Malta at Christmas as well. Could you please recommend a good restaurant where they serve a traditional Christmas meal?

Mellieha, Malta
Level Contributor
443 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malta at Christmas

Depends on where you are expecting to spend it

ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malta at Christmas

I would like a really lovely Christmas meal also, and we will be in Valetta/Sliema/St Julian area. I have been told that we should book it with our hotel which looks like being the Phoenicia.

Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta