We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Malta

London
Level Contributor
31 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in Malta

Hello,

I recently visited Malta and I am returning to spend Christmas and new year there.

My questions are: I didn't get to visit Gozo on my last visit but will be definitely visiting when I'm next there. What are your suggestions on how to get there? I'm more than happy, and would prefer to use public transport, however, I believe I would need to take a boat over part way. I definitely want to go to the shopping mall there as well.

Finally, I am staying in Sliema, I have rented an apartment and I would Luke to know if there is any good fishmongers in the area or close by.

Thanks in advance

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,430 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Malta

Hi again holidaybunny.

You will definately enjoy a trip to Gozo as it is very much different to Malta.

I must say (with tongue in cheek ) that you can`t go "part way " on the boat unless you intend to jump into the sea and swim the final half.

You catch the Cirkewa bus from Sliema ( if that`s where you are staying ).

The bus will take you to the ferry terminal and once there you walk onto the boat and take the 25 minute crossing. There is a shop and cafe on board .

At the other end a bus will be waiting to take you to Victoria Bus station

Day ticket --- 2.90 euros

From there you can travel about .

On the way back you pay the ferry fare (You only pay on the return trip )

Then bus back to Sliema.

It`s all very easy ----- enjoy it.

Graham

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Malta

holidaybunny.

The question about fishmongers is a good one. You would have thought that a place like Malta will be full of them. But personally I have only came across one in Millieha few hundred yards before the descending steep at the top of Gorg Borg Olivier Street. Even on my one visit to Marsaloxx, the fishing city of Malta, I didn’t see a fishmonger. I must be doing something wrong.

But I can tell you of one of my experience. I happened to stop in a pub in Sliema called De Goose for a drink. While chatting to the landlady I mentioned this very topic of fishmongers (or the lack of them). She told me, that as it happened your Maltese husband is a fisherman, and if I want any fish, she would ask him to get for me. Before I left I told her what fish I wanted. I went back to see her a couple of days later and true to her word she delivered my fish. I can’t remember her name, but she was a blonde Scottish and 40 something young lady. Her pub De Goose is almost in the heart of the shopping disctrict of Sliema.

Hope this help, and also hope someone would tell us of any fishmongers they know of.

Cas

London
Level Contributor
31 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in Malta

Hello Cas,

You are very kind.

I have learned that the shopping mall in Gozo has a fishmongers.

Thanks again...I think this is an opportunity for someone to open a fishmongers in Malta!

Thanks Cas

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,430 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Malta

There are two large fishmongers in St Pauls Bay on the Mosta Road and they are only a few yards apart.

There is Connies and nearby Azzopardies.

They have huge amounts of fish but are a fair way from Sliema..

Graham

London
Level Contributor
31 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in Malta

Hello Graham,

Thank you very much for the information. Azzopardies is the one!!

There are a few in Malta, one being in Gzira and the other in St Julians, so I have a choice.

This is really going to help as I wont have to eat tinned fish over Christmas haha.

Thanks again

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,430 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas in Malta

You can also get fresh fish from markets which lots of villages and towns hold every week.

Graham

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas in Malta

Many fishmongers sell fish off the back of a pickup truck that has a freezer or cold tray fitted , in most villages when fish are in season . I mostly buy my fish off a pickup in qormi on certain days , not every day .

I am sure that sliema has one such fishmonger on one or two of its corners , but I am not living there for the last 40 years and do my shopping elsewhere . fishmonger shops also can be found in most large supermarkets , apart the ones mentioned above , and at the Valletta market Suq tal Belt .

Welcome to Malta

8. Re: Christmas in Malta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2012, 04:19
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta